Switch to dino to reduce leaks ?

My car always had 5W-40 synthetic. 94k miles, dealer maintained, bought it 9 months ago from the original owner. It had a very slight, barely noticable wetness around the headgasket and the oil pan. I noticed that the 20k miles i travelled with it during less than a year made it worse. During confinement my car was parked uphill for 2 months with very little use and i think it made everything worse, including what looks like a rear main seal leak.

I wonder what made the leaks worse. Is it my heavy use of a car that spent it's life garaged and travelled something like 3/5k miles each year ? Last oil change i switched to Shell HX7 10W-40 semi-synthetic. Do you think that it will slow the leaks ? Should i even switch to something like 15W-40 dino or 10W-50? This car is used 60% highway, 30% country roads, 10% short trips and city driving.

Yes it's available in France in both 5W-40 and 10W-40, i've just checked it. This is the only oil available here that claims to be high mileage. Sounds like a good option.

It's a bit crazy that Valvoline doesn't sell the syn 5W-40 here, I think they are missing a huge market for older, primarily German origin vehicles like VW and BMW...

It looks like most german cars owners swear by Mobil 1 on your side of the atlantic. 5W-40 oils with OEM specs seem to only be available with Mobil 1, Pennzoil or Shell Rotella T6. Here, 5W-40 is probably the most popular viscosity along with low/mid SAPS 5W-30.

Last edited:
I haven't had a good luck with syn blend and older cars. the cars either seep more or burn more oil ... Nothing scientific but that's been my experience so I stay away from syn or syn-blend with older cars. I reduce the oci with dino.

Try thicker dino and see what happens. I think when the car gets too old (gaskets, etc.) even dino won't reduce the loss but if it's halfway there it may help and again this is based on my limited experience.

Originally Posted by OilUzer
I haven't had a good luck with syn blend and older cars. the cars either seep more or burn more oil ... Nothing scientific but that's been my experience so I stay away from syn or syn-blend with older cars. I reduce the oci with dino.

Try thicker dino and see what happens. I think when the car gets too old (gaskets, etc.) even dino won't reduce the loss but if it's halfway there it may help and again this is based on my limited experience.

There has not been a "dino" API certified PCMO for a long time.

OP if you can get AT 205 or similar product give it a try. If this doesn't work unfortunately you will have to repair the leak.

Thank you guys. I will see if the 10W-40 will reduce leaks but in my experience, synthetic always burns less than dino/semi so i think i will be back to synthetic next oil change, either a high mileage one or add an additive. I can live with the leaks, it is just that this car is in a pretty incredible shape for it's age and so clean. What do you think about trying a higher grade syn like the Total Quartz 10W-50 ? As far as dino oils go i'm stuck with the choice of 15W-40. This is the only dino oil available here with ok specs like API SN, ACEA A3/B3, MB 229.1.

Last edited:
Dino 15W40 API SN, ACEA A3/B3, MB 229.1
That's better than any dino I've ever used.
iirc MB229.1 is a 6000 miles oil.

I would try it if 15W meets your cold temp requirements or try it in the summer time and see what happens. I never get stuck using one oil and am always experimenting. Worst case scenario, you don't like it and will end up changing it after 5K miles ...

The only thing a thicker oil may help with is oil getting by the piston rings. Thicker oil won't help a leaking seal or gasket.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
I second either 5 or 10w40 Maxlife.

Just curious? Is the 10w40 an A3/B4 as well?

It is.
Originally Posted by OilUzer
Dino 15W40 API SN, ACEA A3/B3, MB 229.1
That's better than any dino I've ever used.
iirc MB229.1 is a 6000 miles oil.

When i talk about pouring such oil in my engine people cringe ! It is considered lawn mower oil by people around me. Again, 5W-30 and 5W-40 is all people use. 10W-40 is still popular however.
Originally Posted by ka9mnx
The only thing a thicker oil may help with is oil getting by the piston rings. Thicker oil won't help a leaking seal or gasket.

Thank you, i was under the impression that ticker oil might also slow leaks but it looks like it has more to do with the formulation.

Back