Switch from 5W-20 to 0W-20 for winter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have always used Honda's full synthetic 5W-20 in the '07 Accord V6. Should I switch to 0W for the coldest months? Any reason not to?

Originally Posted By: lukejo
Have always used Honda's full synthetic 5W-20 in the '07 Accord V6. Should I switch to 0W for the coldest months? Any reason not to?

We are neighbors,(im in Indiana. My wifes 07 accord v6 gets 5w-20 constantly, with (OUR) climate and the tempts we see, i dont see any necessary reason to go to the 0-20, although i do run SYN in the winter, and Dino in the summer, try it if you like.. let us all know if you notice a difference..

Now if we lived in a climate that seen negative numbers often in the winter i might think of trying it, but we dont.. so i dont see the point myself.

If cost is no object, (0w20 generally costs more) switch would be fine. That said, I own the same year Accord with same engine and see no reason to switch from spec'd 5w20. Doubt you'll see any difference in engine wear.

It won't hurt the car to switch, but there's not much difference in most 0W and 5W oils in cold weather performance until it gets at least as cold as -10F.
At least the numbers don't look like it.
Use 0W-20 if it is specified, for sure.

I use 5W-20 Motorcraft synblend oil and filter in my 2002 F150 with the 4.6 since new. In this part of NJ we see below 0 to teens regularly for a good part of the winter. I've never had a slow crank or valve train ticking in the coldest temps. My truck sits outdoors all the time. If you're using a synthetic 5W-20 it should flow even better upon starting than the synblend.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: dparm
Why not just run the 0w20 year round? It's a good oil.

I second this motion! The days of switching viscosities just for the winter time are over, just run the 0w20 all year round and it will do a great job.

Originally Posted By: Patman
Originally Posted By: dparm
Why not just run the 0w20 year round? It's a good oil.

I second this motion! The days of switching viscosities just for the winter time are over, just run the 0w20 all year round and it will do a great job.

If you only put 5,000 miles or less in a year using a synthetic oil seems like a waste of money. If you go over 8,000++ miles per year or OCI then it's worthwhile. My wife drives her Exploder around 9,000 miles every 6 months, synthetic oil is worth it!

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back