Swelled weather stripping from oil spray

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as I know the car I recently purchased has been oil sprayed every 2 years since new. The issue is the oil sprayed in the doors drains down on the rubber weather stripping, causing it to swell. Just replaced both strips today, driver and passenger. Is there a product I can apply to the new rubber to prevent this from reoccurring?

Spray the car yourself with Fluid Film.

It is sheep wool oil that is pressed out of the wool when they process it. Doesn't attack or craze rubber, plastics, paint etc.

Keep your weatherstripping fresh with a quality silicone grease, such as Wurth silicone lubricant.

Also, silicone grease, when sparingly applied, keeps your doors from freezing shut.

When you say "oil sprayed" what does that mean? Used motor oil? A rustproofing spray like Fluid Film or CarWell or Krown? Some other rustproofing spray.

I would think the majority will drain out over one hot summer and not much will drain after.

The products like CarWell or Fluid Film are not an "oil spray".

Roughly 2 weeks ago I had it Krown sprayed. What the previous owner used, I have no idea. The tech did show me wax fromc a previous application. So likely a Walmart or Canadian tire wax product.
The wax was actually plugging one of the drain holes.

HMMMM. I had my new car Krowned last summer and have not had any rubber swelling. But, when I did my typical analysis paralysis type research, I did find a few threads about others having swelling problems with Krown.

Most car rubber is EPDM, so I wonder what the difference is? And, how could a product as widely used as Krown not be safe for rubber?

I did have swelling of weatherstrips when I used RustCheck, I switched to Krown and no problem since. It is also prudent to wipe some of the oil off the weatherstrips after you have the process done, and protect the new weatherstrip with any of the products mentioned above, or GM Dielectric grease which will protect the weatherstrips.

I have read of this. I think the report was from a Honda civic. What kind of car? Perhaps various manufacturers use slightly different rubber types.

No indication of this on my saab. But it scares/worries/bothers me all the same..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back