Suzuki SX4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have one or have experience with the Suzuki SX4 Crossover with AWD? Possibly looking for a dual-duty daily driver and autocross car. It weighs about as much as my old '97 Impreza wagon, and makes a bit more power. My only qualms is that the electric AWD only operates to 30mph, which is fine for launching and getting out of low-speed corners, but would be nice to be functional at higher speeds, to say, 60mph.

Road Race Engineering makes parts for them, and they come with a large-ish 16x7" wheel, which fits the bill for autocrossing.

Thoughts? Reviews?

My sister in law has a 2wd one as a rental right now, I'll have to take it for a rip tomorrow and see how the engine is, I'm expecting to be underwhelmed given its numbers but I could wrong.
Is the AWD one in H stock too? With those huge rims you can get some pretty wide rubber for an H-stock car especially with stiff sway bars...
Have you had a suzuki before? My tracker/vitara is designed by suzuki and its fine for the most part but its not perfect and suzuki cars never do to well in the reliability rankings.
Also the previous Aerio had a 2.3L 155hp engine but I don't think the rims were anywhere near as big.

suzukis are used extensively in the ultra severe service use in the USVI. They last suitably there.

That said, Id get a subaru in the states...

I bought a new Suzuki SX-90 (4WD) about a dozen years ago for one of the kids, and it was completely trouble free for the decade / 40K+ miles she owned it.

It was extremely easy to DIY all routine maintenance on the engine, drivetrain and brakes.

I test drove an SX-4 a few months ago when I was thinking of replacing the AWD Blazer, and was disappointed. It reeked of cheap, and the AWD / 4WD drivetrain was not RWD based, but is a cheap FWD base with a transverse engine, which was gutless.

I would have no problems buying another Suzuki, but I would get one of the larger models with the GM V6, and RWD based drivetrain which has been proven in hard service.

The price says it all. They never were to the same level as Subaru. You see lots of hi mile Suzuki variants in my area. The Tracker style rusts up badly in the rust belt. The body goes first on those.

Joel

I looked at the SX4 prior to buying a Sportage. It was a tough choice. Dealer inventory and discounts, along with factory incentives, were lacking.
If it came with the Aerio's 2.3L, it might be in the driveway.

AWD+manual transmission+4cyl+
I believe that they're made by Daewoo(the way GM's Aveo is).

The few Suzuki's that I've worked on over the years were cheap, but tough as nails, and would sometimes have electrical gremlins.

A friend of mine in South Dakota was looking for a specific SX4 (Orange 5-door, auto / AWD "Sport" (keyless ignition, etc) and she located one about 10 miles from my house, so I picked it up for her and drove it to Rapid City. It drove very nicely and the electronic toys were a nice touch considering she got it for $16K OTD. It rode nicely, altough I would've liked a little more power. It struggled at 75mph against strong headwinds, constantly downshifting and upshifting on I-90 across South Dakota.

It's a perfect car for her, with plenty of room for the stuff she hauls around, and it's gotten her through all the nasty winter stuff they had last year with no problems. She just puts it in "AWD" and forgets it. I told her to use "LOCK" when she gets into the deeper drifts, but I don't know if she's used it or not.

Well I drove the rental SX4 yesterday, it was an automatic. Power was ok, pulled pretty smoothly to redline. I think they do something funny with the throttle but it seems to be tuned to snap open initially giving the impression it has more power than it does so it spins the tires almost unexpectedly in gravel. It also had a bit more tire noise than I'd expect from 195/60R15 tires.
The suspension was pleasantly stiff, not to harsh and no floaty feeling at all, steering is a bit light though for good road feel, maybe with R comps it would feel better?
Overall it feels like a solid car, nothing really wrong with it for daily use IMHO, with huge tires and sway bars it should be good for autocross as well I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back