Suzuki RM250 $$ Best 2 stroke oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys, hope this is the correct forum for this...

I am in the process of rebuilding a 97 Suzuki RM250 MX bike from the ground up, putting a fair amount of money in this motor and want to know what is the best 2 stroke Pre Mix oil(s) out there now days? I've been out of the loop on bikes for many many years, last time I rode MX was 15 years ago. I'm now getting my son into it and want to ride with him hence the reason for this bike build.

I used to be a big Klotz fan, either super techniplate or Beanol. This motor has a new sleeved cylinder, new crank and rod, new forged piston, all new seals etc so I want it to last!

Yamalube r is a very good oil, such as running nakasil bores and still having crosshairs in the cylinder after 2 years, and also excellent cleaning. So I don't see much a need beyond that.

Probably the strongest film base stuff is Honda Pro(blue bottle, but its filmbase tends to contaminate the exhaust more with carbon. But protective wise its very very strong.

Ive heard of people running amsoil 100 to 1 and have good life, but Ive never risked, I stick to old shool methods with ratio's, cause they are well proven.

Last edited:
Thanks fellas! Yea I run the AMSOIL 100:1 stuff in my weedeaters and chainsaws but that ratio scares the heck outta me in a hi perf bike motor!

I was always a fan of Yamalube, that stuff was good no matter what you ran it in.

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
I used to be a big Klotz fan, either super techniplate or Beanol. This motor has a new sleeved cylinder, new crank and rod, new forged piston, all new seals etc so I want it to last!

Klotz is still one of the best, but, for that bike R50 would be a better choice than "super techniplate".

Redline, Belray, Klotz would be my picks.

Last edited:
Not to re-hash....but really, if you want the best, there are really only 2 options among 2-stroke engine builders: Torco and Redline.

there are 2 parts to the equation, you only asked 1.

there is what oil
and
there is what ratio

a 250mx can go 40:1 maybe 50:1 (but i wont go this).

i ran yamalube r at 32:1 and my cylinder and mains were perfect after 2 years of racing.

Careful with redline racing oil. It's a fine oil, but it provides no corrosion protection. In fact, it's hygroscopic. Rust will occur during storage.

I vote for Castrol TT-S. It's a EGD and FD rated oil. Runs very clean.

I suggest 32 to 1. Or as lean as 40 to 1.

I've been involved in 2 stroke oil testing for a major out outboard manufacturer. More oil makes more power. More oil also reduces wear. 100 to 1 is only good for lightly loaded engines. A 45hp 250cc engine is very highly loaded.

Last edited:
I've heard great things about motul kart racing GP premix. Formulated for the super high revving karts under race conditions. Granted it's 20 bucks a quart but I think it's worth it

Redline. I use it in a 26cc gas motor in a 40" R/C boat that runs at WOT about 90% of the time. Not the same as a MX bike, but not an easy life for the motor either.

I used to use Yamalube 2R, back in the day at 40:1. The best modern oil, I like is Castrol TTS. I have a bunch of two strokes and this oil burns clean. I also like Citgo sea and Snow oil, its about the same as Yamalube 2R, but can be hard to find. I would stick to 32:1, and as high as 40:1. Regardless of what the oil makers say. I am no0t a big fan of lean ratios.

Originally Posted By: quarterliter
I've heard great things about motul kart racing GP premix. Formulated for the super high revving karts under race conditions. Granted it's 20 bucks a quart but I think it's worth it

its really funny that you say "super high revving"....no 2stroke of 60/65cc revs even as high as the modern 4sroke engines of the 250/450mx and 600/900+ of sportbike designs. the bigger the 2smoke piston, the slower the max rpm.

the 250smoker the OP has only goes to 9k.....yet my 250f (4stroke) still has another 1300 rpm to go before it hits max hp.

Originally Posted By: quarterliter
The little nitro RC 2 strokes sure seem to rev. Around 35,000 to 40,000 rpm. Wonder what oil they use

Most now use a synthetic lube although some smaller blenders still use a synthetic/castor oil mix. They previously used a castor oil based lube. The only ones that turn those kind of RPM's are some of the very high performance car motors. Althought the marine and ducted fan motors do approach 30k RPM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back