Suzuki Bandit Oil Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I've read: There is no good oil filter for a Zuki.
I checked the purolator site and was surprised to see them say NOT to use and automotive filter on a bike.Surely someone of you guys has a good recommendation for a filter for this beast.

The HiFlow seems to have the most media and the K&N I took apart looks like it was made on the cheap for such a premium price.

Your advice Please

Smoky the confused

I have no idea why you're wanting to go outside the factory/dealer for an oil filter for any motorcycle given the critical nature of such things on a bike. Assuming that filter is a spin-on, I figure the factory filter for any given bike is built never to blow out and dump oil on your rear tire, and that's only one, if the most important, consideration. And surely the filtration for a cartridge or spin-on will be sufficient to the factory's desire. Absent a BOGO deal, or a quantity discount on GENUINE factory filters, I wouldn't be looking for alternatives..

But that's just me..
11.gif

Smoky14 - many people don't agree with me, but I'm known for professing that filters have no idea what kind of equipment they are on.

Filters are the result of an equipment OEM specifiying a particular need for some level of cleanliness in the lubrication system. Doesn't matter if it's a hydrualic filter on a tractor, a small outboard marine engine or a huge OTR diesel. The OEM spec's out what they believe to be necessary for the proper operation of the equipment. They look at things like flow rate, particulate size and frequency, burst pressure, bypass setting (if applicable), physical size for application, etc.

All that in mind, if your "Zuki" is spec'd for certain parameters by the OEM, and the aftermarket supplies products that meet those specs, you can rest assured that you will receive a decent minimum standard of protection. Don't construe "minimum" to mean poor; quite the contrary. It just means that some performance level has been set that has to be met. There are some products that will exceed these criteria, but anything (for that specific application) sold in the mainstream market will at least meet these specs.

The Wix suggested filter (for all Bandits) is 51359. The thread pitch is a bit "different" at 20 x 1.0, but the other physical parameters are fairly common. Of note, the "nominal" filter level pretty good at 13um; a bit "tighter" than what would be "normal" for other filters. However, this filter is not unique to the Bandit; it is used almost entirely in the whole Suzuki product line-up, and in some Artic Cat stuff too.

Like I said, filters have no idea what equipment they are on. They only know what parameters they are design to operate in.

If Purolator does not have a filter for the Bandit, it's because they choose not to make one for some reason, not because they can't.

You can use the Wix/NG if you choose, and you'd be fine.

Last edited:
+1
I had a 04' Bandit 1200 I used a Wix and Rotella T 15w40. The bike ran great no issues.

I have a V-twin now and I use Rotella T and the same WIX filter that fits my truck and wifes car.

Last edited:
I have a suzuki Eiger its an ATV I have used the WIX filter for 2 years. With Valvoline ATV oil no problems. the filter is the 51359

Quote:
purolator site and was surprised to see them say NOT to use and automotive filter on a bike.

Some Purolator motorcycle oil filters are identical to the automotive filter, just $4 more expensive and painted black.

These fit.

20 x 1mm threads, 11 psi, by-pass valve, anti-drain back valve

Champion PH7016
Emgo 10-55662 or 10-55660
Fram PH6018
Hi-Flo HF138
K&N 138
NAPA 1359 / WIX 51359
Purolator ML16818
STP SMO-18
Suzuki 16510-03G00-X07

Like some other wise man said - a filter is a filter or something like that.

We use the Purolator or Wix automotive filters on all of our bikes - but you have that weird thread pitch on your Suzuki so you are limited. Personally, I don't care for the Purlator motorcycle-specific oil filter and believe that the Wix is a better idea.

I think purolators suzuki replacement is not USA made like the other purolator filters. Balwin makes a B7419 (IIRC) that fits the suzuki, I have not used them yet. It has a 20 psi valve (again IIRC).

I use the suzuki filter and change every other oil change (1500-2000 mile OCI). The stock filter is on those $250,000 superbikes and thats good enough for me.

As kballowe said, Suzuki uses a weird thread/pitch combination that isn't used on cars.
You are stuck with those filters he listed.
Still, they are likely cheaper that the factory ones.
Watch for sales and shop around, prices vary some.

Yeah, Suzuki kinda' throws us under the bus on filter selection; I've used OEM filters from Oneida, NAPA 1359's from the NAPA guy, and Puro ML16818's from Amazon for years on Bandits, Katanas, SV's and DL's.
thumbsup2.gif

Actually the thread pitch is the same on the wix as the OEM filter.....I have a Bandit 1250 and I'm using the Napa 1359 which is the same as the Wix 51359...If you look on the Wix website for the Bandit 1250 that filter is the recommended OEM replacement filter..I ordered them from fleet filter for a discount...The specs for the filter are the exact same as the OEM Suzuki filter. If you look at the Wix it also has a high quality look to it...

I've been using these filters along with Rotella 15W40 for about 8,000 miles and it runs really smooth...

How did you find the specs for the Suzuki filter?

Not to cut on Wix but it does not have a silicone ADBV and has less media than the stock unit. The bypass valve looks to be a press fit onto the filter and could leak pretty easy IMO.

Oddly, most all the Wix/NG filters have the silicone ADBV, but some don't. I agree with that.

As for the amount of media; did you cut one of each open and measure them, or are you just guessing?

The construction of the Wix is not of concern regarding the bypass valve; it's a stout unit.

Originally Posted By: cven
How did you find the specs for the Suzuki filter?

Not to cut on Wix but it does not have a silicone ADBV and has less media than the stock unit. The bypass valve looks to be a press fit onto the filter and could leak pretty easy IMO.

It was a year ago when I was looking for the specs when I was looking for a replacement filter and I can't remember where I found them...However, it's really not neccessary because in order to qualify as an OEM replacement they have to fall within OEM specs anyway...I bought several of them from fleet filter for about 7 each when you add shipping with it...

IMHO, as far as silicone vs nitrile ADBV or a slight difference in pleat count in reality isn't going to make a significant difference...But I do agree that the Suzuki OEM looks like a higher quality filter, but I doubt there is a significant difference in filtration.

Purolator needs to build a nice bike filter like a Pure-One style, I'd be all over that. The Baldwin filter for Suzuki looks nice on the outside and should be USA made and a quality filter but has no Silicone ADBV and a 20 psi valve(this may be better?). I'd have to get them by the case but I may try them out sometime.

I like the Si ADBV for my bike (TL 1000)because the filter is horizontally mounted and higher than the sump and I have dreadful nightmares of all that filter-funk being backwashed into my nice clean oil!!LOL

Most people do short OCI on bikes so that's going to help any filter out.

Originally Posted By: Smoky14

The HiFlow seems to have the most media and the K&N I took apart looks like it was made on the cheap for such a premium price.

The K&N 138 has a lot of media (62 pleats), and seems to be built pretty well IMO. I just cut one open that was on my Busa.

The HiFlow and K&N seems real similar (K&N is made by HiFlow) and have the basic same p/n designations (Hi-Flo HF138 vs K&N 138 fit the same bikes).

Have used Hiflow filters in several bikes for years with good results....at least no engine failures or oil usage. Now using them in my 2011 Can Am Rt which has one in the transmission as well as the engine. Oem's cost over $25 for a pair. Can Am calls for filter changes with each oil change every 3K miles, but I've just submitted a 4K mile sample of Amsoil to Blackstone. I'm expecting the results will warrant running to 5K at least.

I think all Suzuki spin-on filters are the same. Tell the pimply kid at the parts counter that you want an oil filter for a 2011 'Busa.

There is nothing wrong with the Suzuki OEM filter except the price. WIX/NapaGold filters work well. Purolators are Chinese but seem to work well. HiFlo are good, and HiFlo is the maker of the K&N motorcycle oil filters.

The filter comparisons that consider the area of the filter media might not tell the whole store. It isn't the square inches of media that does the filtration, it is the number of correctly sized holes in the media. Modern high tech media does a better job in less area than old style media.

By the way, I recently put a HiFlo air filter on my Suzuki. It seems to work as well as an OEM filter at half the cost.

We have been running the Suzuki OEM filters on our 3 track bikes for years and the UOA's come out fine.

To date I have have not seen any OEM Suzuki filter failures at the track.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back