Suspension Upgrade for Toyo

My 2006 Highlander is not finding a new buyer anytime soon as my daughter thinks its a good starter car for her (if she wrecked it by any chance she prefers this option, although I would like to sell it and buy her a Mazda3). Now I need to upgrade the suspension changing the following and looking for your feedback on what and where to buy the following Bank1 pre-cat (firewall as the radiator side pre-cat is already replaced), new LCA and LBJ, new motor mounts (dont know if this has a transmission mount), new tires and possibly sway bar bushings.

Pl. chime in with your thoughts - I am leaning towards all OEM at this point.

I bought a 2007 Highlander and have to replace the engine mount and transmission mount and the upper engine torque mount.
The old engine mount and upper torque mount is completely out.
The old transmission mount looked ok.

I am stumped there is no transmission mount in the literature of a 3.3L toyo engine other than the drivers side engine mount.
Let me know if there is a transmission mount exists in the first place

I am stumped there is no transmission mount in the literature of a 3.3L toyo engine other than the drivers side engine mount.
Let me know if there is a transmission mount exists in the first place

From the driver's seat, the "left" mount IS the transmission mount. There's a corresponding mount on the passenger side. There's also a torque rod mount that is on the passenger side of the engine bay, mounted between the strut tower and the engine. If you have excessive movement, I'd inspect that torque mount very closely. I can't think of one instance where I've had to replace a Toyota engine mount (the main ones), they're very beefy. However, the torque mount tends to be very worn by 75k miles,

There is movement in the engine bay and when I drop the gear from N to D w/o any acceleration there is movement that isn't normal
Do you mean that there is an excessive amount of engine movement beyond the normal movement when going into “D“ or “R”. As you know, engines rock forward or backward in FWD and side-to-side in RWD.

Last edited:
From the driver's seat, the "left" mount IS the transmission mount. There's a corresponding mount on the passenger side. There's also a torque rod mount that is on the passenger side of the engine bay, mounted between the strut tower and the engine. If you have excessive movement, I'd inspect that torque mount very closely. I can't think of one instance where I've had to replace a Toyota engine mount (the main ones), they're very beefy. However, the torque mount tends to be very worn by 75k miles,
Agree. Even on the 4 cyl Camrys I’ve seen these get soft and tired, though they might look fine to the naked eye.

OEM for mounts and joints or don’t bother. Some aftermarket seems to be OK - if made in Turkey. I believe @The Critic had Taiwanese Moog LCAs on his in-law’s Camry.

I’m running a Delphi LCA on a Prius. Made in Turkey. It’s a little lighter than OEM but I trust it more than a Chinese part.

I have 220K on my Highlander and just ordered $1100 on Toyota parts - LCAs, LBJs, L/R/Rear mounts and one relay
Also order B1 pre-cat (Walker) from Rockauto for $400, now its for my auto shop to install them...

Back