Suspension question and replacement brands

This is on the Forte. It currently has like new mild lowering springs and performance shocks. While it handles like it’s on rails at any speed and steering input, the suspension has very little “give” over bumps and well as you can imagine it’s firm.

I personally don’t have a problem with it and actually enjoy the responsiveness of the chassis, but am thinking about other parts of the suspension and or chassis that might wear out prematurely because of the lowered ride and firmer shocks. I’d say the car is not terribly low but lower than factory. It’s also probably twice as firm if I had to guess.

My thought is maybe I would like to go back to the factory ride height and firmness for daily driver status, and not “race car” status.

So basically looking at all new springs and shocks at the minimum. I’ve know I had good luck with KYB premium in the past, are they still a good choice for DD?
The rock does not have a huge selection so I would not be against other sites. I’m also tempted to just get the OEM suspension components off a delaer website, but cost comes into play so the best bang for the buck but I don’t have a problem paying for long lasting parts. I only like to do the job once lol.

What are your thoughts on my suspension? Rock it out and save the money until it actually needs to be replaced(but at what cost to other parts), replace with KYB or another aftermarket namebrand premium shock/springs to factory height and firmness, or replace with OEM factory suspension components of a dealer website.

here’s a couple photos of the current ride height.

As usual this site is honest and great and always gives valuable feedback thanks.
70BD4D3B-6DC7-45C1-AF82-6564CE766BA8.jpeg
50057DD4-16E0-42F1-B961-119537E12BF7.jpeg

Are you sure you're not bashing off the bump stops? Some cars do not have the travel in their suspension to tolerate much lowering without crashing on the stops all the time, making you feel like the ride is harsh. Sometimes there are alternate, softer/more progressive stops that can be used in that case.

I Moog all things when available.. I've never had a problem with anything I've used. Highly recommend not using KYB strut strut packs, the springs they use are garbage. Sagged 2" 10k after install.

I've always had good luck with KYB on my cars, the quickstruts raised the front of the Focus a bit, but they put in some serious cushioning in the upper strut mount. Better than OEM were. Still handled autocross duty fine too. I did have to tighten the top nut on one of the struts as it was slightly loose, but after that it was good.

This is on the Forte. It currently has like new mild lowering springs and performance shocks. While it handles like it’s on rails at any speed and steering input, the suspension has very little “give” over bumps and well as you can imagine it’s firm.

Keep your performance shocks and ditch the lowering springs.
Even better, get a set of Bilstein B6 Sport. Thank me later.

Keep your performance shocks and ditch the lowering springs.
Even better, get a set of Bilstein B6 Sport. Thank me later.
+1 on the Bilstein B6
I did the Bilstein B6 and Eibach sway bars on my Dodge Magnum. Kept the stock springs. I hate the tire to fender gap, but the ride is firm but comfortable, and the car handles well for a big vehicle. You also don’t have to worry about driveways and such with the stock ride height.

How did the car get lowered?

I always go with Bilstein shocks.
A dealer technician did it believe it or not. It was their car, and they were a dealer technician at a major German brand… (hence the AMG floor mats and the super stiff / rock hard suspension) floor mats have been replaced and I cannot take the suspension anymore.

What are your opinions on used OEM parts? As much as I hate to put in used suspension components, I’m realistically looking just for the front and rear springs and shock assemblies, that I can replace the shocks with one of your suggestions brands, and keep the OEM Springs.

Is that too much work then it’s worth? I should just probably stick with a pre-built premium aftermarket brand and pop it in with all new springs and shocks.

I will be doing this much sooner than later, I’m gonna research availability’s and the like.

Yes, yes it did. Because I've seen the Hyundai/Kia forums and posts like your are not jokes there...
As much as I love the Hyundai Kia‘s I know they are not race cars, may be a little sporty a little fun to drive and the six speed is really nice. Maybe if we get into “N” line territory now they’re putting up a good fight.

The suspension on the forte is completely out of place for the characteristics of the car. I also believe it being lowered and rock hard is gonna wear out other components prematurely. Yeah it looks cool but it’s not really practical.

I'm running Eibach lowering springs on my Accord. I love the look of the lowered stance and how flat it corners, but my biggest complaint is as you say the bottoming out on the bump stops.
Are you sure you're not bashing off the bump stops? Some cars do not have the travel in their suspension to tolerate much lowering without crashing on the stops all the time, making you feel like the ride is harsh. Sometimes there are alternate, softer/more progressive stops that can be used in that case.

Thanks for the input, currently this is what I’m thinking

4 new oem springs off of a dealer website ($324 plus tax and shipping)) with kyb shocks/struts. ($250 front $190 rear)

I’m having a really hard time finding complete name brand bolt up and go assemblies so it’s looking like I’ll be parting together everything.

Does almost $800 for these parts seem expensive? I have not had to replace suspension components in over a decade plus so maybe I’m a little out of touch with the current suspension component prices. The last time I used kyb on a Saturn and I feel like they were no more 44 bucks apiece 😆

Thanks!

AA6039E5-AA7F-4C08-BCC9-C0E27FF8FCFF.jpeg
4FBC8BCE-5F0F-4E43-A6F9-2E491AC0D786.jpeg
634A1B31-1364-45BF-B3E7-5F3901CE32DF.jpeg

Couldn’t justify 800 bucks for new. And well that’s the other thread about the parking brake issue but long story is short I had to buy the whole rear axle from a pick and pull for a couple parking brake parts and well it came with the suspension 😆 it’s off the correct model to boot.

They do show some surface rust in areas but honestly I seen far worse in the NE. - will sand and paint before install and lubricate everything. I asked the mileage to make sure it was even worth my time and surprisingly it’s about half the mileage that my car currently has. They also used the word “minor” impact with cosmetic damage so nothing should be tweaked.

“If” down the road it needs replacing and I like the OEM ride quality then I will replace everything with oem new. just currently cannot keep this rockhard suspension that’s on it… it’s going to ruin every component on this car.

I will probably do this in the next couple weeks as usual I will keep this thread updated 🙏

Thanks for the feedback!
2299222B-F0D9-4ADE-A606-FC5CB03312F7.jpeg

I’ll say this, you chose exactly what I would have gone for - oem springs and kyb struts and shocks. I find kyb to be close to oem and just a smidge stiffer, BUT they let go when you hit something hard surprisingly fluidly. I had GR-2s. I’m also leary of most aftermarket springs; would probably trust eibach. If you start thinking about it again, I vote for your thinking.

as for the oem parts, nice score. You just got good springs. Those shocks and struts could very well be good as well. As well as most newer cars handle, I’m not sure there are *as much* gains now from lowering though it can still present a look the owner might want. Plus, clearing curbs, debris, and the occasional bad road are all pluses.

Back