Suspension parts grease for Civic & Cavalier?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1997 Honda Civiv and a 2003 Chevy Cavalier. I am planning on buying a Lincoln 1134 grease gun and some tube grease for the suspension components on both of these cars.

My question is what better tube grease do you guy's recommend I buy? I have researched this, but am unsure what to buy for the cars I own. I like what I have read about Redline CV2 which is listed for use in wheel bearings and CV-joints.

I just got my first order of Pennzoil 5W-30 Ultra Euro full synthetic motor oil from Amazon. I used to buy the non Euro version of this motor oil from Wal Mart for the last two years, but they recently stopped carrying it and I can not get this oil anywhere locally. I did not want to switch.

suspension components like what? rubber bushings?

For rubber bushings, you should use either caliper lube (like PBS brake caliper assembly lube), or sylglide. There are some fancy molykote stuff that you can use also, make sure it's 100% compatible to rubber or you risk rubber suspension parts swelling and failures.

Strut tower bearings require proper type of grease ( I typically use moly slow moving chassis grease), for both taper roller bearings type and/or nylon bushings (ring) type.

Q.

They call it chassis grease. Are you sure your vehicles have zerk fittings? Hope the grease gun is a lever rather than pistol. Get a flex hose if it does not come with one.

Try Valvoline Crimson grease. Its a reddish/pink color. Its used on lots of heavy duty machinery.

Originally Posted By: Quest
suspension components like what? rubber bushings?

I want to start greasing everything that I should be myself.

I used to have a shop change my oil and service my car, but got away from that once I switched to full synthetic motor oil (the shops want far too much for full synthetic oil changes). I switched to using Pennzoil Ultra full synthetic with a Mobile 1 oil filter and now change the oil in both of my cars myself.

Originally Posted By: Donald
They call it chassis grease. Are you sure your vehicles have zerk fittings? Hope the grease gun is a lever rather than pistol. Get a flex hose if it does not come with one.

Try Valvoline Crimson grease. Its a reddish/pink color. Its used on lots of heavy duty machinery.

The Lincoln 1134 is a pistol grip design. That one is extremely high rated on Amazon, but I have not bought it yet. You prefer the lever style due to it will push grease better?

IIRC those models are factory sealed, no lube required. Tie rod ends (Chevy most likely) and ball joints (Honda most likely) may require lube if they were replaced at some point which I suspect.

The Cavalier I think still had greasable outer tie rods or if the vehicles have aftermarket tie rods. The originals may have a zerk fitting but they're still sealed so you wouldn't want to grease them much or very often. I don't know what brand you should use, but in general you want no.2 lithium complex chassis grease. Something like this http://www.valvoline.com/products/consumer-products/grease-gear-oil/grease/67. Or consult your owner's or shop manual for the grease spec and grease points.

In general most cars have sealed suspension joints and the rubber parts twist and don't rotate so there's nothing that really needs greasing.

Originally Posted By: Moab
I have a 1997 Honda Civiv and a 2003 Chevy Cavalier. I am planning on buying a Lincoln 1134 grease gun and some tube grease for the suspension components on both of these cars. .

My suspect is that you've been taking on the "lube oil+ filter" note>? If that is the case, then all I can say is that for Hondas (since the 70s, unless aftermaket greasable parts used such as tie rod ends, ball joints, etc.) are all sealed, non-greasable. Original Cavalier ball joints and tie rod ends are sealed as well.

While there may be aftermarket replacement suspension components that may be greasable ones (with zerk fittings), so, unless yours have been replaced with greasable ones, otherwise, no greasing required.

Q.

Redline CV2 probably isn't compatible with whatever grease is in there. I would stick to a lithium complex grease unless you want to flush everything.

M1 is pretty well loved around here, but some people think it has a too thin base oil. Valvoline Cerulean, Castrol Syntec (on clearance at PB for $2) or Amsoil would be good choices. NAPA has a new Murey's grease from New Zealand that has amazing specs. Valvoline Crimson is a good grease, but if you are going through the hassle of flushing then you could replace with better.

For some reason, grease just doesn't get the same love as motor oil around here...

Originally Posted By: Moab
Originally Posted By: Donald

The Lincoln 1134 is a pistol grip design. That one is extremely high rated on Amazon, but I have not bought it yet. You prefer the lever style due to it will push grease better?

The lever operated guns produce more pressure but require two hands or a way to hold the gun and then one hand to operate the lever. After a little practice you push the grease gun on the zerk fitting but do not need to hold it there, so two hands are free.

After purchasing a tube of Valvoline Synpower NLGI #2 grease I found a local source of Schaeffers #274 for less than $6 per 14oz tube... Next time I will be going with the Schaeffers.

I'm going to ask the same question here, but should probably post a new thread. I have a 91 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham and replacing everything with all MOOG for a total rebuild including bushings and all joints have ZERK Fittings for this car.

$$$$$$$$$ Have had the parts sitting it a box for a few years now! $$$$$$$

Any suggestions on the best grease?

I do have a single lever grease gun for the large conventional tubes of grease.

I thought grease with high MOLY were supposed to be better quality but can't remember.

I also sent the same message to MOOG......I'll let you guys know what they say, but they probably won't recommend a brand name.....

Thanks,

Regards,
Chris

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back