Surprise Dust Storm During Oil Change, Worry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tuesday I had just gotten the drain plug out of my latest car, pre-owned, and a dust storm sprung up from nowhere (couple dirt lots near me)! So nasty, loads of dust heading my way. Car on ramps was decent protection, but it was still stirring up under car in my driveway. I got it plugged back when the oil stopped, then I had to do the canister oil filter! Dirt flying as I inserted new cartridge and put on new O-Ring, worried the entire time. Dirt probably got down in canister, not visibly, but it had to get in there. I tried to be quick, but it was a lot of dirt. Yikes.

I then waited 3 hours for it to get somewhat better before pouring in the new Mobil 1.

Should I be worried? Spoiled my oil change a bit as I now feel it's dirtier than the oil I removed, though it looks cleaner, crystal clear, it's one of those cases of look not telling the story.

Should I dump it immediately? Should I do a short run, or should I do a full run?

Thanks!

Last edited:
If you're worried, drain and strain the oil through something with a really high micron rating and reuse. Change your cartridge filter if you think it got loaded.

Doubtful a few specs of dirt did much - let it eat. At least you weren't adjusting valves with the VC off.

Thanks everyone. You made me feel better. It was a pretty terribly dusty, my eyes were filled. I tried to still be careful, but only so much you can do.

I'm psychologically "cleaning out" this engine still since I didn't always care for it, so I'm probably going to go ahead and do my planned 3000-4000 OCI. I might do an analysis and see how much I hurt it. ha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back