Surge Protectors and whole house surge protector

The 2-3 years come from a Wirecutter article. I am no expert, so I can't verify their claim. Their explanation is that surge protectors are subject to surges through out their lifetime, so that the MOV eventually wears out. Supposedly, a 6,000 Joule surge protector will take 6,000 Joule before dying, so it can take 60 100 Joules hit before it expired. The article indicates that afterwards it's just a powerstrip. I don't know if all of this is true or not. It sort of makes sense, since if the 6,000 site around long enough, it may get hit and end up with with only 1000 joules left. However, I was also under the impression when the MOV fails, the surge protector will stop working. I did recall that series mode surge protectors like Zero Surge that does not have a MOV lifespan often note that in their product literature, but since they are trying to sell you a way more expensive surge protector, they are probably bias. It's probable that 2-3 years is aggressive.

The protection light does not give indication of how much protection is left.

Actually, I have the same exact ISObar as odie, which I believe I purchased back in the mid-90's. It still works. but I was worry that the surge protection part may not be working after 20 years. I have replaced it with a newer strip for my home theater. The newer strip is made of plastic where the old ISOBAR is closer to a tank.

Paul

I like those isobar units and it’s what I’ve generally used.

I can’t imagine properly running equipment having enoug L dI/dt to strode the MOVs in two years. Especially stuff with soft start and switching power supplies. If there are big morors starting and stopping it might be different.

Start to have storms, lots of power outages, etc., and it might be different...

" Actually, I have the same exact ISObar as odie, which I believe I purchased back in the mid-90's. It still works. but I was worry that the surge protection part may not be working after 20 years. I have replaced it with a newer strip for my home theater. The newer strip is made of plastic where the old ISOBAR is closer to a tank. "

Heavy as a brick .

Surge protectors installed

Attachments

• 54E58B57-D5EC-4544-96DD-7C68D9510466.jpeg
    54E58B57-D5EC-4544-96DD-7C68D9510466.jpeg
    490.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 46F03A9F-A66A-4C83-B873-09DEF832056B.jpeg
    46F03A9F-A66A-4C83-B873-09DEF832056B.jpeg
    149.3 KB · Views: 19
FWIW: I built a new house in 2017, installed a whole house surge protector (Square-D HOM2175SB) in the main panel and point of use units (APC P6W) on my tankless hot water heater, water softener, freezer, garage door openers, microwave, garbage disposal. I also usa a CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD UPS on my Win10 computer and I use APC P74 on my shop bench for power tools, etc. Further, I have Leviton surge suppressor "sockets" embedded in my whole house structured media panel in which I have my router and another one on my RainBird irrigation controller. I have underground utilities and live in a new subdivision.

So, hopefully, I've got this covered. All my units have LED indicators that tell the "health" of the Surge Protector but I do plan on replacing the point of use items every 5 years or so (they are inexpensive insurance).

YMMV.
You forgot one protector for your electric toothbrush!! j/k. So a HOM2175SB just goes in like a breaker and protects the whole house?

Surge Protectors only last 2-3 years. That's a lot of strips to replace and a hassle since I have to date the strip and replace them at some interval. What if I install a whole house surge protector? Would those need replacing every couple of years? If I have one, would I still get surges coming from within the house or would the whole house system protect against those?

Paul

You must be using cheap surge protectors.
I've been using a Panamax M5300 for years now with no issues.

I agree but you and I are not normal people. I actually design and build my own surge protectors. For both AC power and antenna feed lines.
About 20 years ago when I had a whole house protector installed by the power company, it was installed at the meter outside the house. Is that not done anymore ?

Why you need surge protectors? Is your utility company run by a bunch of clowns? If you are generating your own power I could see the need. In regular utility co power, that is what transformers are for.

So, neither of these are at your panel. How do they wire in and work? What model and make?
no, the two are mounted at the equipment they are the mars 83904 and 905.. difference between the two is 904 - 120v, 905 - 120/240v surge protection. they are wired inline with the equipment hot and ground. i also have an intermatic HEPD80 surge in my service panel which protects both legs 240v thats connected to a 20 amp 2 pole breaker in my panel.

Last edited:
I typically use two (some times three) surge suppressors on any important electronics and one on all other stuff.
I have these Belkin on anything electronic https://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-BE108000-08/

Then in areas I consider high priority I have the above plugged into another plug in-outlet surge suppressor and in some cases, like my Mac Desktop I have another small surge suppressor (https://www.tripplite.com/spikecube...plug-in-600-joules-2-dignostic-leds~SPIKECUBE ) plugged into the Belkin.
SO I have a wall outlet suppressor, then the Belkin plugged into that, then another single one plugged into the Belkin and then my Mac Computer plugged into that.

Same with my rather costly Sony TV and Home Theater set up. Except I use an even higher end direct plug in the wall suppressor and the Belkin plugging into that.
Belkin into this https://www.tripplite.com/isobar-2-...oules-3-diagnostic-leds-4-in-height~ISOBLOK20
and my equipment into the Belkin

Bottom line, surge suppressors will last as long or short of surges. That could be a few years or a decade or more. I date mine and change out every decade or so. No big deal, plus they help to reduce Line Noise.

Electronics are built with power supplies to handle these surges and will last a lifetime, you do not need to use surge suppressors but for me, I prefer to have an extra line of defense because for no other reason I am into this stuff.

I choose to use them "just in case" of a major surge that the suppressors might be able to handle that the device can not AND rather have the surge suppressor wear out then an electronic in the unlikely event of a series of surges.

I also have them on the refrigerator, washer, dryer, just about anything and everything that stays pugged in as this isolates, surges coming from these appliances as well.

Last edited:
no, the two are mounted at the equipment they are the mars 83904 and 905.. difference between the two is 904 - 120v, 905 - 120/240v surge protection. they are wired inline with the equipment hot and ground. i also have an intermatic HEPD80 surge in my service panel which protects both legs 240v thats connected to a 20 amp 2 pole breaker in my panel.
Thanks. I wonder if the 240V unit protects two 120v lines with a neutral. I guess they can clamp each half? Or if protecting 120v split phases, if you need two, one for each?

Another thing to note is "Clamp Voltage" some are 600v good ones are much better.
BINGO !! All surge protectors are not created the same . Learn what the stats mean . That little power strip with " Surge Protector " stamped on it will do nothing if you get a close in lightning strike .

Thanks. I wonder if the 240V unit protects two 120v lines with a neutral. I guess they can clamp each half? Or if protecting 120v split phases, if you need two, one for each?
On the Mars 240v surge protector meant to protect a 240v appliance/device. The white wire on both surge protectors actually goes to ground.”the way instructions show the wiring” I am not 100% I would believe if a ground wasn’t present such as old armored cable the white can be put to neutral on the 120v surge protector. I been meaning to call Mars tech support to confirm.

Back