Surf City Garage Introduces Vintage Car Motor Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: used_0il
That poor ol Pontiac has 1.5 rockers and wiped a cam?

My poor ol BBC has .375 lobe lift mech FT & 1.8 rockers on the intake side, 1.7s on the exhaust. Heavy 2.30/1.88 valves,
and hasn't wiped the cam yet on run of the mill 15W40.

How? +.250 pushrods and valves stems, 2.15" installed spring height and low ratio rockers for the break-in.

At start up, everything was primed, set and ready to fire with the push of a button or turn of a key.

Do you know what revving your engine to 2500 rpm does to the oil temperature after 20 minutes?

Reason #1001

Well it heats it up enough to thin out and wipe the cam.

I'm calling Bologna Sandwich on that one...

EVERY cam mfgr I've seen say run them for 20 minutes...

AND how bout the pre O/D days when we merrily tooled down the highway at 3K RPMs PLUS??? Other than a sprint across the parking lot, did the mfgrs break in cams?? Drag Pack, Track Pack, etc vehicles had anywhere from 3.90 to 4.30 gear(that puts engine at 3500 to 4000 RPM at 70 MPH) and came with 5/50 warranty...

Sitting in a garage with a racing engine with only a lame electric fan doing the engine cooling for an engine that had its thermostat removed and replaced with a restrictor and so on, then running it to break in the cam until the engine boils over, is not the same as driving down the highway at 70 mph at 3500 rpm in a 70 Hemi Cuda.

Now go back in time and look at the cam specs you are referring to. You are talking maybe .320" lobe lift 1.52/1.57 rocker ratios and around 120 lb spring seat pressure.

Yeah....keep reading. 20 minutes total, not necessarily all at once in one long overheating shot in a garage that wipes out lobes.

Rats, too late to edit;

If the cam is being lubricated by the oil thrown from the crank, does that accurately represent the bulk oil temperature in the sump?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back