Supertech vs. Syntec (O'Reilly)

First off... was at three different Walmart's this week looking for some SuperTech 10w-30 for my Buick. What was very strange was the lack of supply and especially the the 10w-30 grade.
I finally found a few jugs on the third stop. I've been a huge Supertech fan and now that pricing (20k version) is around $26 per 5Qt's, I have been thinking about my oil changes along with filter selection.

Lately, My (preferred) WIX/NAPA filters have climbed in cost and along with the SuperTech. I recently stopped at my local O'Reilly store to get a few things and was impressed by the Microguard filter they have. More importantly, they have a "combo deal" for oil and filter and it's an attractive deal.

Any thoughts on the Syntec or O'reilly synthetic oil vs. Supertech? I'm reading they are manufactured by two different companies. I know this is is nit-picking... but??

I'm not going to use a Fram Filter. And I'm not going to use a SuperTech filter. (Don't want to get into that debate here.) Know that... I think I'll be okay with making a switch to the O'Reilly's oil and filter deal. It's a Buick and not some highly stressed German twin turbo beast.

I haven't read much on the new Syntec oil... Any thoughts?

I wouldn't worry too much about different store brand vs each other. Using Syntec or M1 vs store brand would be a personal preference IMO, like how your engine sound one way or another, or how long does it last, etc.

First off... was at three different Walmart's this week looking for some SuperTech 10w-30 for my Buick. What was very strange was the lack of supply and especially the the 10w-30 grade.
I finally found a few jugs on the third stop. I've been a huge Supertech fan and now that pricing (20k version) is around $26 per 5Qt's, I have been thinking about my oil changes along with filter selection.

Lately, My (preferred) WIX/NAPA filters have climbed in cost and along with the SuperTech. I recently stopped at my local O'Reilly store to get a few things and was impressed by the Microguard filter they have. More importantly, they have a "combo deal" for oil and filter and it's an attractive deal.

Any thoughts on the Syntec or O'reilly synthetic oil vs. Supertech? I'm reading they are manufactured by two different companies. I know this is is nit-picking... but??

I'm not going to use a Fram Filter. And I'm not going to use a SuperTech filter. (Don't want to get into that debate here.) Know that... I think I'll be okay with making a switch to the O'Reilly's oil and filter deal. It's a Buick and not some highly stressed German twin turbo beast.

I haven't read much on the new Syntec oil... Any thoughts?
I think the Microguard filter is a Fram orange can relabeled for Orielly. It used to be maybe somebody will chime in if that's still the case.

I think the Microguard filter is a Fram orange can relabeled for Orielly. It used to be maybe somebody will chime in if that's still the case.
The Microgard Select is definitely not a rebadged Fram. It's an Asian made filter. Now the plain Microgard, I have no idea.

How did O'Reilly Auto parts get the name syntec? That was once previously Castrol. Did Castro drop the patent to that name? I'm not sure why Castro would drop that name that was a good name for them back in the 90s. Why do you call your synthetic oils edge? Pretty lame if you ask me

I've been using Syntec 5W-30 and Microgard Select filter in my wife's Fusion for a few oil changes now. Pretty happy with it... I used Magnatec before and this Syntec is quieter. WIX filters are "noisy" on immediate start-up on this engine so I stick with the "combo" deal O'Reilly's offers.

Also used it in our '12 Civic for the first time with an oil change a few months ago (Honda filter on this). Seems good in there too.

It's API SP rated and meets DEXOS so it has be "okay", right ?

How did O'Reilly Auto parts get the name syntec? That was once previously Castrol.
I don't know enough about DEXOS license numbers but the Syntec ends in "082". When I look up license numbers at the DEXOS website, every entry that ends in "082" is either Castrol or BP (Castrol's parent company).

Did Castro drop the patent to that name?
Looks like Castrol sold the name (trademark) to O'Reilly.

Last edited:
I've been using Syntec 5W-30 and Microgard Select filter in my wife's Fusion for a few oil changes now. Pretty happy with it... I used Magnatec before and this Syntec is quieter. WIX filters are "noisy" on immediate start-up on this engine so I stick with the "combo" deal O'Reilly's offers.

Also used it in our '12 Civic for the first time with an oil change a few months ago (Honda filter on this). Seems good in there too.

It's API SP rated and meets DEXOS so it has be "okay", right ?
Thanks for that... Good to know you are happy with the MicroGard filter.

Thanks for the posts, comments guys... As for the oil filter... Just watched a "Whip City" review of the WIX XP (I use this now) and the K&N. I wasn't impressed by either of these new versions. Perhaps it's just me, but I feel even the WIX has taken a decline with their lineup. (I won't even get into efficiency ratings).

I'm not touting the new MicroGard "Select" filter, but I'm curious enough to seek-out a replacement for the WIX XP I have been using a long time. Mainly because it appears to be constructed well.. has a great gasket and non-louver center tube with lots of holes. Seems well built.

As for the oil.... Not trying to split hairs here... :) I can't see a reason to stay with the SuperTech if the Syntec (O'Reilly) oil is of the same quality.

Plus... "One Stop Shop" vs. dealing with the local Walmart which seems to be getting more sparse at selections and availability.

This thread from a couple of years ago has more details on the O’Reilly Syntec oil.

This thread from a couple of years ago has more details on the O’Reilly Syntec oil.

Hmmmm... Seems like there wasn't much of a conclusion on this oil with the exception of the name (Castrol Syntec vs. O'Reilly Syntec).

Which is a shame in that "marketing" chose to use a similar (If not the same) name. Not much talk about it from UOA or VOA posts.

I guess I am going to try this for my next OCI... Like I mentioned previously, my "reasons" are for convenience and better filter (Says 99% efficiency).

1660923964612.jpg

I bought a jug of M1 5W30 (Dexox 1 Gen 3) for $24 and an Asian made Microgard Select oil filter for $9, for my next oil change.

was at three different Walmart's this week looking for some SuperTech 10w-30
5w-30 is much easier to find than 10w-30.
I doubt your Buick can tell the diff.
I'm happy with SuperTech 5w-30 full synth.

I had a FRAM filter leak at the seam ~40 years ago.
In the meantime I switched to Purolator until I heard about the tears, switched to Wix (NAPA Gold).
I'm trying a FRAM Tough Guard next time around.

5w-30 is much easier to find than 10w-30.
I doubt your Buick can tell the diff.
I'm happy with SuperTech 5w-30 full synth.

I had a FRAM filter leak at the seam ~40 years ago.
In the meantime I switched to Purolator until I heard about the tears, switched to Wix (NAPA Gold).
I'm trying a FRAM Tough Guard next time around.
Right... but here in AZ... I prefer the 10w-30. (And is spec'd for it.)
I really like SuperTech oil. (Just lately I don't like what I see at Walmart. Sloppy isles, lack of items, dirty stores... lines... blah, blah....)

No Fram for me. I'm a WIX/NAPA filter guy and still like them... but?? XP has changed and nothing stays the same "forever"...

Good to know you are happy with the MicroGard filter.
I've used WIX (the XP version), Motorcraft, Fram TG and XG on the Fusion and it's only the WIX that didn't sound right.

I can't see a reason to stay with the SuperTech if the Syntec (O'Reilly) oil is of the same quality.
I'm paying a bit more for the O'Reilly Syntec compared to Supertech. It's $32 for a 5-quart bottle vs $21-22 for Supertech. All of the nearby Walmarts say I can pick it up tomorrow but I'm not sure if that means using their ordering system that you walk up to the kiosk and grab or if they'll bring in (1) bottle just for me (I doubt). The store I go to normally has good stock of Supertech anyway. When I do the combo deal at O'Reilly, the price is $34.

Back