SuperTech ST2 Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
This past September I picked up a used '01 Taurus with roughly 100k on the odometer. As soon as I got it home, I changed the oil with PYB 5w20 and a 1 qt. of MMO.

Overall, the car seemed like it had been well maintained. It had two previous owners. The first owner, judging by his writing, seemed to be an older gentleman and he documented all the maintenance in the manual. He seemed very on top of it. The second owner, whom I purchased the car from, was a live-at-home college student that also seemed to take great care of the car (interior looked brand new, etc.). However, he didn't really have much documentation to show for the couple years that he owned the car. He said his dad took care of the maintenance so I'm not real sure how often they were changing the oil. From the looks of the filter I cut open, they maybe weren't changing it as much as they should have. Under the filler cap on the engine, the chain looks pretty clean, but if I shine a flashlight through it, I can see a little bit of sludge. Hopefully, I won't have any problems getting it back in tip top shape.

The hole you see in the bottom of the canister is just where I poked a hole in it to drain the oil out of it before I removed it from the vehicle. Also, don't mind the destruction of the canister itself. My hack saw blade was cutting about as well as a butter knife so I had to resort to a different method.
whistle.gif

4 months and 4500 miles later, here's what the inside of the filter looks like, which was not great. I should have cut open the filter that was on it when I bought it so I could compare it to this one. I'm wondering how much of the deposits were from the MMO.

After draining the oil and filter, I put in 3 qts. of M1 AFE 0w20 (it was all I could find at 2 different WW's) and 2.5 qts. of Platinum 5w20 that I had sitting around, along with an MC-820S filter. Ok, enough rambling. Here are the pics:

IMG_8836.JPG

IMG_8837.JPG

IMG_8838.JPG

IMG_8841.JPG

IMG_8842.JPG

IMG_8843.JPG

IMG_8846.JPG

IMG_8847.JPG

IMG_8848.JPG

Looks good!

Filter doing its job and a year from now with normal oil changes with any oil and filter will clean what is there.

Good to go!
thumbsup2.gif

Thanks for the pics.

Bill

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Why the rather odd mixtures of oil?

Can you fill in the purpose for that?

I've had an itch to try M1 AFE and I could only find 3 qts. of it at two different Walmart's. So, I bought what I could find and used the Platinum to finish it off since I had a few quarts left sitting on the shelf in my garage.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Looks good!

Filter doing its job and a year from now with normal oil changes with any oil and filter will clean what is there.

Good to go!
thumbsup2.gif

Thanks for the pics.

Bill

Thanks Bill. You don't think the deposits are abnormal or anything to be concerned about?

I've been running a variety of dino & blend oils in the last 3-4 years in our vehicles but I just had an itch to go back to M1 for a while since I've had good luck with it in the past.

Originally Posted By: Jakegday
dang Rex, did you chew that thing open?

Haha, yeah I got a little hungry! Seriously, my hack saw wasn't doing squat so I had to reach for the snips as my next best option.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mshu7

Thanks Bill. You don't think the deposits are abnormal or anything to be concerned about?

I've been running a variety of dino & blend oils in the last 3-4 years in our vehicles but I just had an itch to go back to M1 for a while since I've had good luck with it in the past.

Nope. I've seen some slight stuff like that in some filters I've changed for friends and once they go on normal oil changes everything cleaned up.

The Mobil 1 you used in the past has nothing with what you are running today. Everyone has changed their oils for the better. (hopefully
grin2.gif
)

Take care, Bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Originally Posted By: mshu7

Nope. I've seen some slight stuff like that in some filters I've changed for friends and once they go on normal oil changes everything cleaned up.

The Mobil 1 you used in the past has nothing with what you are running today. Everyone has changed their oils for the better. (hopefully
grin2.gif
)

Take care, Bill

Good to know and good point on the M1. Thanks again for the feedback Bill!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back