SuperTech MP7317 cut open.

This one off an older neighbor's 2004 Civic with ~75000 miles on odo. Run with ST Syn10k 5w20 for 5k miles, 8months. Back in Total Quartz Dynamics 0w20 and Purolator Tech TL14610. Last pic something extra I decided to try after seeing similar done on yt, and being skeptical decided to see for myself.

P1020571.JPG

P1020574.JPG

P1020579.JPG

Pic of the baseplate. Design, I prefer to newer Champ now with outer extra plate removed.
P1020581.JPG

This a pic of what I found when I applied a light to the element end in the dark. I noticed the dark areas correspond to the 4 nubs on the bypass piece, 2 of which can be seen in pic #2. The bypass is at the top of pic. I could push down with force I'd say much greater than that seen in the can and reduce the light but never get it to go completely dark.Tried multiple times. Bump stops in flat spring limit that too. 'My sense is', the ridge on endcap and recess on spring may need to be deeper to overcome the effect of nubs. Beyond that, reach no other conclusions. I'd add, no ax to grind with the MP, sorry to see them go. Be interesting to know if other filters with similar Champ like design show similar result.
P1020577.JPG

I'd be interested to know the size of the gap between the leaf spring and the end cap. Do you have any feeler gauges you could use to measure it?

This one off an older neighbor's 2004 Civic with ~75000 miles on odo. Run with ST Syn10k 5w20 for 5k miles, 8months. Back in Total Quartz Dynamics 0w20 and Purolator Tech TL14610. Last pic something extra I decided to try after seeing similar done on yt, and being skeptical decided to see for myself.

View attachment 222741

View attachment 222743
View attachment 222744
Pic of the baseplate. Design, I prefer to newer Champ now with outer extra plate removed.
View attachment 222746
This a pic of what I found when I applied a light to the element end in the dark. I noticed the dark areas correspond to the 4 nubs on the bypass piece, 2 of which can be seen in pic #2. The bypass is at the top of pic. I could push down with force I'd say much greater than that seen in the can and reduce the light but never get it to go completely dark.Tried multiple times. Bump stops in flat spring limit that too. 'My sense is', the ridge on endcap and recess on spring may need to be deeper to overcome the effect of nubs. Beyond that, reach no other conclusions. I'd add, no ax to grind with the MP, sorry to see them go. Be interesting to know if other filters with similar Champ like design show similar result.
View attachment 222751

Nice filter and Thank You for cut and post

Agreed with all of your assessments & I too like the outer plate removed. I found it interesting they called out a TG but you'd think they'd reference an Ultra being this MP is rated for 20k miles. Excellent looking filter & I suppose we might have to accept the see through lighting around the bypass? What to do right? Not much other than doing your testing & "Shining a light" on the issue. :)

Good write up!

Not a good design if it's always allowing some of the oil to bypass the filter media. Filters with a coil spring and the bypass valve built into the baseplate of the filter cartridge shouldn't have this problem.

I'd be interested to know the size of the gap between the leaf spring and the end cap. Do you have any feeler gauges you could use to measure it?
:) I do have some feeler gauges, but remnants tossed now and not wanting to take it that in depth. Fwiw, I did try it with bypass/flat spring down against smooth surface and applied force evenly at adbv end. Again, I think more than unopened can, still some light. A result which does correspond to results seen on a couple yt. The design similar to other Champ/First Brands filters so be interesting to see if those would show a similar results with c&p..

I'm curious why Walmart stopped carrying these MP filters. They must have felt there was too much price competition in that space.
My speculation is that shelf space was just getting too crowed with them bringing on ever more OEM brand filters. They have even given up quite a few SKU's of their ST line to it also.

Shame these are being phased out
A couple days ago I was in AZ to recycle oil and checked out the STP Blue and STP XL. I checked the 7317 applications because that's what I use most. Locally both are made by Champ Labs, and the XL appears to be a Super Tech MP series by another name. The adbv is orange rather than blue, but I otherwise I think the same. But, the Champ STP XL is ~$10 where ST MP was ~$6. I suspect other STP applications same as 7317, have been before.

A couple days ago I was in AZ to recycle oil and checked out the STP Blue and STP XL. I checked the 7317 applications because that's what I use most. Locally both are made by Champ Labs, and the XL appears to be a Super Tech MP series by another name. The adbv is orange rather than blue, but I otherwise I think the same. But, the Champ STP XL is ~$10 where ST MP was ~$6. I suspect other STP applications same as 7317, have been before.
I thought the STPs were made by PG now?

Interesting that my local AZ had Champ made STP XL filters and then the other day I went in and discovered that PG made black XL are back in…

So that was good to see. Not that I mind the Champ made filters…

Back