Supertech MP7317 cut open

About 1000 miles on filter. Reason is HPL oil, seeing how loaded up etc.

I didn't take the utility knife and cut open the media off the can but if anyone really wanted to see that maybe I could do that later. Getting ready for my day and that would make my hands super extra oily and also take some time because it never seems to want to come off the can even with the knife and screwdriver.

This cut open is basically to see what my HPL oil that has been there for almost 9000 miles now caught in the filter in 1000 miles. I drive like Michael Schumacher or Mario Andretti. 50/50.

Here are the pics 📸

20230601_070139.jpg
20230601_070406.jpg
20230601_070508.jpg
20230601_070727.jpg
20230601_070738.jpg
20230601_070802.jpg
20230601_070812.jpg
20230601_070821.jpg
20230601_070830.jpg
20230601_071156.jpg

Looks like the filter had plenty of life left. Did you put on another ST Filter or use a different brand?

I can’t tell anything from the photos posted. OST are too low light, too poor quality, and don’t show much of substance. I would look at the media under better light if trying to find HPL displaced carbon is your intent…. I don’t think anyone is surprised by the condition of the adbv or whatnot given the mileage.

I can’t tell anything from the photos posted. OST are too low light, too poor quality, and don’t show much of substance. I would look at the media under better light if trying to find HPL displaced carbon is your intent…. I don’t think anyone is surprised by the condition of the adbv or whatnot given the mileage.
This looks like a vote to cut off the Media and lay it out.

This is my vote too. Of course when sport mode slows down and has some time. 😁

I can’t tell anything from the photos posted. ... I would look at the media under better light if trying to find HPL displaced carbon is your intent ...
...and remove most of the oil, which obscures any particles of visible size that might be caught in the media.

🤣🤣The "tough crowd" approach "doesn't faze me" although if the point is to underscore "Typical BITOG" or "Peak BITOG".. I love this.. so I have to actually wait until later in the morning. Cool.

Well so since the sun is up and I'm not just relying on the garage door overhead light. Here are 3, in the sun, door open. Always careful to not slice my fingers open when removing filter media. It looks easy but it's precarious...

Not familiar with OST outside of Original Sound Track so I'm not sure what was meant by that..

20230602_053746.jpg
20230602_053752.jpg
20230602_053757.jpg

Oh @fantastic There is a Fram XG9688 on there now.

The filter was changed once previously on the oil presently in the sump. So "the filter should be clean".. I'm not seeing any "paste" or anything (bad) really! You?

20230602_054029.jpg

20230602_054053.jpg

You put on a Fram XG...Got it.

I'm not seeing anything from my angle either so it appears you can run the XG for much longer before checking this time around. Thanks for posting the media!

Nice build quality on these current ST filters. Thanks for sharing.
Agreed. For the price you really can't beat them. Unfortunately for me I have to order them online ahead of when I need to do changes if I want to use them. Last few times I checked WalMart they were out of stock of most of the common sizes. I'm not sure why but the two WalMarts closest to me seem to be terrible about stocking both oil and filters, to the point where I hardly even go there when I need them anymore.

The filter was changed once previously on the oil presently in the sump. So "the filter should be clean".. I'm not seeing any "paste" or anything (bad) really! You?
What did the previous filter with 8000 miles of the 9000 miles ran look like in terms of debris possibly cleaned by the HPL oil use? This one is clean because it was only used 1000 miles, and during the last 1000 of a 9000 mile oil run.

The filter label says fits M1-110A and Fram XX7317, which both Hondas take. But, when I add a vehicle to the Walmart site, it says the filter doesn't fit. (2020 Honda Pilot, and 2009 Honda CRV).

Am I missing something?

Agreed. For the price you really can't beat them. Unfortunately for me I have to order them online ahead of when I need to do changes if I want to use them. Last few times I checked WalMart they were out of stock of most of the common sizes. I'm not sure why but the two WalMarts closest to me seem to be terrible about stocking both oil and filters, to the point where I hardly even go there when I need them anymore.
Yeah I don't understand it, they have a good selection listed on line but in store maybe 3 sizes sitting there. Not even a 3614/3600 equivalent in store. :rolleyes:

Yeah I don't understand it, they have a good selection listed on line but in store maybe 3 sizes sitting there. Not even a 3614/3600 equivalent in store. :rolleyes:
My Jeep takes the ST16 filter (3600 won't fit, 3614 would fit but kinda small). They don't have an MP16 option, so the ST16 is the only Supertech filter in that size. The last 5 times I've been to walmart and casually looked, there were no ST16s, the spot for them was bare. No MP3614's either, just one or two ST3614s. They tend to also have entire sections of oil cleared out, to the point where you don't see a single bottle of certain brands, but plenty of overpriced Mobil 1 extended performance in stock (3 shelves worth). :rolleyes:

I use the 4967 size filter for Kawasaki mower engines also, they usually never have the Supertech versions of that either. The last few times I've grabbed the last Fram PH4967 or TG4967 they had on the shelf.

Back