Supertech full synthetic 75/140 from Walmart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: PT1
Originally Posted By: ludey
How do you guys think about Royal Purple 75-140 (Synthetic)? I am asking because I just put this in a '02 Ford Explorer with no limited slip. No friction modifier needed for my LSD fluid drain and refill. I bought this over the Mobil 75-140 due, to some good reviews in various off-road SUV magazine articles. I tried it but notice there is a little groaning around 30-40mph range off and on sometimes. I opened up the fill plug and a small stream of LSD fluid poured out. So, it is not because of lack of LSD fluid unless, I put too much. I also notice in mornings that my car does not want to go like, the LSD fluid is too thick or something. Royal Purple claims it has "Synchromesh" which, I am guessing is the friction modifier. Their website also claims no additional friction modifier needed due, to it being synthetic and having friction modifiers/LSD additives in it already.

Put the truck on a level driveway or garage floor and open the fill plug..let any overfill drain out into a pan. You may have overfilled it. BTW, does your explorer spec th

at viscosity?

Yes, the viscosity must be 75W-140 and must be synthetic as well. The manual specifies this and only to drain and refill if, water level goes over midway of the differential due, to water contamination. I have not had that happen but, changed it anyways due to the mileage and time of the fluid. It was a lifetime fill but, decided to change it out after, 156K miles and 7 years later.
I drained and refilled with all 4 tires on flat and even ground. No jacking up the truck. There is just a small stream of LSD fluid coming out. I was taught to always fill up until there is a small stream coming out of the fill hole. There is no leakage of the fill hole and drain plug. I put some Permatex grey gasket maker on the threads of the fill and drain plug.

Originally Posted By: PT1
How do you guys think about Royal Purple 75-140 (Synthetic)? I am asking because I just put this in a '02 Ford Explorer with no limited slip. No friction modifier needed for my LSD fluid drain and refill. I bought this over the Mobil 75-140 due, to some good reviews in various off-road SUV magazine articles. I tried it but notice there is a little groaning around 30-40mph range off and on sometimes. I opened up the fill plug and a small stream of LSD fluid poured out. So, it is not because of lack of LSD fluid unless, I put too much. I also notice in mornings that my car does not want to go like, the LSD fluid is too thick or something. Royal Purple claims it has "Synchromesh" which, I am guessing is the friction modifier. Their website also claims no additional friction modifier needed due, to it being synthetic and having friction modifiers/LSD additives in it already.

Put the truck on a level driveway or garage floor and open the fill plug..let any overfill drain out into a pan. You may have overfilled it. BTW, does your explorer spec th

at viscosity?

Yes, the viscosity must be 75W-140 and must be synthetic as well. The manual specifies this and only to drain and refill if, water level goes over midway of the differential due, to water contamination. I have not had that happen but, changed it anyways due to the mileage and time of the fluid. It was a lifetime fill but, decided to change it out after, 156K miles and 7 years later.
I drained and refilled with all 4 tires on flat and even ground. No jacking up the truck. There is just a small stream of LSD fluid coming out. I was taught to always fill up until there is a small stream coming out of the fill hole. There is no leakage of the fill hole and drain plug. I put some Permatex grey gasket maker on the threads of the fill and drain plug.

The level inside the differential can change due to the position of the carrier as they are not a uniform shape...one way you may get more fluid in and a turn of the drive shaft might have it running out.

You do not want synchromesh or synchromax for a differential...those are most typically a manual trans lubricant and on the thin side.

With those miles, it isn't entirely out of the question that you actually have a worn out component in the differential if it is making noise, etc...

An old thread I'm bringing back to the top. I'm changing diff fluid soon in my 2003 Super Duty with the Sterling. I'm aware that Ford specs a 75w140 synthetic, but in the interest of discussion, does anyone have an opinion on Delo ESI 85w140? ESI has a good reputation, and has very similar propeties to synthetics.I know it won't be as good in severe cold, but the truck is used primarily 6 months out of the year, April through October, and tows 9k pounds regularly during that time, about 4000 miles a year. The price difference is very attractive: Valvoline Synpower is 14 a quart while the Delo ESI is about 5. Experts, chime in please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back