SuperTech filter fail :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, well, they technically didn't fail because I could not even get them onto the car!

Picked up an ST3600 for the longer can application on the Omni GLH-Turbo. Most of the boxes were crushed, so I reached in the back and found the one that looked the best. Got home, went to screw it on and...ugh! Top of the can was completely demolished, crushed and dented.

Went back to the store, showed them that it was damaged/defective and made sure to tell them not to put it back on the shelf.

Got the regular size ST3614, took it home. Went to screw it on, and the threads were damaged...wouldn't even try to go on. Took the old filter and put it on easily (and off again), so the threads on the block were okay.

Took it back to the store, waited 30 minutes in line (not an exaggeration). Told them it was defective, and proceeded to watch them put a Clearance sticker on it and throw it into a bin (yes, thrown...no wonder the other filters were damaged!).

I ended up going to Advance Auto Parts and getting a Purolator L10241 instead, as well as the last 8 on the shelf of their AA3600 which also fits the wife's Saab Turbo...for $1.45 each.

As much as I've liked SuperTech in years past, it may be time to switch house brands. I have 2 x AA3593A for the Subaru, and 8 x AA3600 for the Saab, just need to find some AA3614's on closeout for the Omni and I'll be all set.

Originally Posted By: Solo2driver
I ended up going to Advance Auto Parts and getting a Purolator L10241 instead, as well as the last 8 on the shelf of their AA3600 which also fits the wife's Saab Turbo...for $1.45 each.
Good move there my friend! AAP @ $1.45, hard to beat. Get em while they last.
As much as I've liked SuperTech in years past, it may be time to switch house brands. I have 2 x AA3593A for the Subaru, and 8 x AA3600 for the Saab, just need to find some AA3614's on closeout for the Omni and I'll be all set.
Sorry to here about the ST. I actually have the ST3614 on my Tacoma right now, no issues. That particular app has an outer metal plate on the base designed to make it easier to line up and install without cross threading. Obviously, you must have gotten a bad one. As for putting it in the clearance bin, well, you can't fix stupid!

Good luck finding AAP 3614, I grabbed a couple this weekend, for a total of 4 in my stash.

I just got down changing the oil on the Subaru and the ST6607 I put on was great. Clean threads and such.

Too bad the QC missed your filters. Prob the same QC that missed the bad bypass in the WIX I had (and posted photos of here)

I've got a few more of the ST filters and while they are a good filter, they are becoming too expensive when I can get Pureones for $3-$3.50 each.

Take care, Bill

this is why i don't shop at walmart. BTW my dad has an 85 Omni GLH-Turbo. great car and quick too!

Originally Posted By: river_rat
That was lucky in a way. You ended up with a better filter.

Yep...granted,I just picked up a ST filter for my brother's Caliber...

Originally Posted By: sw99
I just check my filter when I buy them... ST filters are still good filters for the money.

Bingo. Check those bad boys before you buy them.

Vandalism, some people just like to do it in the store, and others hate walmart and do it at home and return it, claiming shoddy goods. Champion make the filters, just like they do for others, and the ones I have used were fine and were USA made.

Champion only makes one good filter....

Mobil 1

Stick around here, you'll find this out
smirk2.gif

Bill

PS: You are correct of course!
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

Mobil 1

Yea, that's pretty funny. Take a non-Ecore Mobil 1 and compare it to an STP or AC Delco from Autozone, or a Walmart Supertech. They're identical, save for the media and the silicone ADBV!

But don't let the facts get in the way, right?
33.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

Mobil 1

Yea, that's pretty funny. Take a non-Ecore Mobil 1 and compare it to an STP or AC Delco from Autozone, or a Walmart Supertech. They're identical, save for the media and the silicone ADBV!

But don't let the facts get in the way, right?
33.gif

I believe Bill was being sarcastic......

Okay, well, they technically didn't fail because I could not even get them onto the car!

Picked up an ST3600 for the longer can application on the Omni GLH-Turbo. Most of the boxes were crushed, so I reached in the back and found the one that looked the best. Got home, went to screw it on and...ugh! Top of the can was completely demolished, crushed and dented.

Went back to the store, showed them that it was damaged/defective and made sure to tell them not to put it back on the shelf.

Got the regular size ST3614, took it home. Went to screw it on, and the threads were damaged...wouldn't even try to go on. Took the old filter and put it on easily (and off again), so the threads on the block were okay.

Took it back to the store, waited 30 minutes in line (not an exaggeration). Told them it was defective, and proceeded to watch them put a Clearance sticker on it and throw it into a bin (yes, thrown...no wonder the other filters were damaged!).

Try a different Walmart? I just recently bought a fram xg that refused to thread and I used frams for years without a single problem. I've noticed lately that the gaskets on the Purolators have gotten flimsy and barely protrude from the edge of the can. I'm not really sure where I'm going to take my business as it seems the quality is going down on everything.

Why not get the OE MANN filters?

They can be had by the case for a reasonable price and MANN filters are hard to beat when it comes to quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back