SuperTech Filter Changed to Cheaper Construction

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty upset with the bean counters at WalMart. Their SuperTech filters were touted on this forum, and I've used them for years now. But NO MORE. I'm about ready to put their ST-8A on my minivan for it's semi-annual oil change, and take out of the box. I look at it and see what's missing--plain as day--the anti-drainback valve feature that was always, always there before.

Current editions of the SuperTech ST-8A do not contain an anti-drainback valve, the gasket seen just below the baseplate. I took it back to WallyWorld for my money back, then went back to the stacks to see if their other stock was similar. No ST-8A SuperTech filters on the shelf had the drainback valve gasket. I started looking at their other ST filter sizes to see if they were similarly constructed--without anti-drainback valves even though that valve was clearly shown in the filter's expanded picture on the box. I looked at the other ST filter I use (ST-6607) for my Miata; it still had the drainback gasket.

Not only did it get cheap on the internal valve construction, it also got shorter. It's now about an inch shorter than the Bosch I replaced. I've used the Ford V-8 filter on my Chrysler 3.3l minivan for years now. I've used the Motorcraft FL-1A, the Purolator/ProLine 300001, the ST-8A, Bosch and others. They've always had the drainback valve, and they've always been the same size. Well, that's not true any longer for the SuperTech Ford V-8 filter. It's now gone decidedly cheap.

That's too bad; they've always been desirable and a good deal, but now the WallyWorld branded ST filters are banned in my house. Looks like Pep Boys with their Purolator and Purolator cloned ProLine are on my short list.

Originally Posted By: Billy007
Can you post a picture.

+1

I didn't like the way my filter looked either...

I don't know why anyone use's a super [censored] when a WIX and NG are
only maybe a 1$ more and twice the filter,i've cut open many ST
and what [censored],thin media end caps like fram that pull off very
easly, scary.....
27.gif

No picts possible--took the blasted thing back and got my money. Go to your nearest WallyWorld and look at them for yourself.

I also sent their customer service a note, too, as I don't like their quality going down.

It's a good thing I looked before I got my greasy oily fingers all over it. It's also a good thing I had a stash of Purolator/ProLine filters to replace it. I always keep a year's supply of filters and oils, and am always looking for deals like the Pep Boys free Peak and ProLine filter. That purchase (just a week ago--thanks Rebate Topic on Bobs!!!) sure came in handy. I put on a ProLine PPL-30001 instead of the SuperTech.

Try cutting open a Purolator. Last L10193 I cut open had a nice thick shell, but about half the media they used to have.

Yes--the ChampLabs link has a pict that looks the same as the pict on the side of the SuperTech box. I know Champ made these.

Now, not so sure. The drainback valve gasket was absolutely not there. I could look through the baseplate holes and see another series of holes below.

Originally Posted By: burnbomber

Now, not so sure. The drainback valve gasket was absolutely not there. I could look through the baseplate holes and see another series of holes below.
If you look at the pic the drainback is above the 2nd set of holes.

I bought a couple a while back for my girlfriend's car, and later looked at a Mobil 1 filter. Other than the ADBV color, they looked identical.

So it was the new type with the plastic cage then?

The Champion E-core design has an ADBV. This new filter design has been discussed on here before when it first came out.

Yes--the ChampLabs link has a pict that looks the same as the pict on the side of the SuperTech box. I know Champ made these.

That's how they're supposed to be. The ADBV is below the second set of holes.

What you saw was another end plate that made installation easier. The distended (misnomer) thread boss made centering the stud difficult.

The anti-drainback gasket has always been just below the baseplate. The other set of holes was concealed by the valve. It's not there now, either between the baseplates nor below the second plate.

^^^what Gary said^^^

burnbomber, I believe the story is as follows: when Champion first came out with the E-Core design, they started getting comments from the quick-lube industry that the filter was hard to centre on the threads on vehicles with limited access and/or filter placement that was hard to see. Their solution was to install that second "dummy" baseplate to make the business end of the filter "flatter" and therefor easier to install.

The E-core design also incorporates a trick combination ADBV and bypass in one unit. I'll bet if you look through the inner holes, you'll see there actually IS an ADBV.

*EDIT* OK, you beat me to it...are you saying that you can look down through the inner holes right into the filter cavity? That sounds like a manufacturing error to me...

Last edited:
If this is truly the case, then these are just defective filters. Without the combo valve, oil is just bypassing the filter all together.

I bought a bunch of the ST 6607's for my son's Mazda the other day.

They had the black ADBV.

The filter looks just like the STP and the K&N for the same application.

The media may be better in the more expensive K&N filter.

But it should be, it's $11 more.

With a 3000 mile change interval, the Super Tech and conventional oil should work just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back