Supertech 20k mi Dexos1 Gen3 5w30 -vs- Mobil1 10k mi Dexos1 Gen2 0w30

Was just in Walmart a couple days ago and ended up going with the Supertech for a couple reasons (20k mi rating, Dexos1 Gen3), even tho it was a few bucks more than the 0w30, which *could* be a better base stock. Did I make the *best* choice?!

Both oils meet the same specs,... So it is not a case of which one is better or best.

Now if you had gotten Mobil 1 5w30 ESP which meets Porsche C30 and MB 229.5 vs Supertech 5w30 full synthetic.... Then the Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 would have been "better" because that oil meets tougher specs vs Dexos, API SP and ILSAC 6.

Hmmm.... I don't think Mobil1 ESP or Pennzoil Platinum LX are available in my Walmart....

We only had Mobil1 Advanced Fuel Economy & Pennzoil Platinum L, iirc.

To the OP: there is no better to be honest. I have ran gallons of QSGB in a Pontiac Bonneville without issues.

I would use SUPER TECH if it was the same price as Providence brand (Rural King) oil.

I remember reading that UOAs of ST 20K looked exactly the same as their 10K synthetic.
Since I would never go 20K on an OCI, I'd stick with Mobil 1. I'm not a fan of the Pritzker family who now own WPP.... the makers of ST...they aren't interested in making a good product but rather about PROFITS...

I remember reading that UOAs of ST 20K looked exactly the same as their 10K synthetic.
Since I would never go 20K on an OCI, I'd stick with Mobil 1. I'm not a fan of the Pritzker family who now own WPP.... the makers of ST...they aren't interested in making a good product but rather about PROFITS...
I haven’t seen any comparisons between UOA’s, but I’ve seen comparisons of VOA’s, and they do look identical. I’ve seen one UOA of the Advanced ST and it did look very impressive on a 10,000 mile interval…then again that was on a Toyota V6, not exactly an engine that would turn out bad UOA’s anyway. And I’ve seen a UOA using Mobil1 EP on a similar engine, and it looked slightly “better”. For what it’s worth, and it’s worth next to nothing.

I haven’t seen any comparisons between UOA’s, but I’ve seen comparisons of VOA’s, and they do look identical. I’ve seen one UOA of the Advanced ST and it did look very impressive on a 10,000 mile interval…then again that was on a Toyota V6, not exactly an engine that would turn out bad UOA’s anyway. And I’ve seen a UOA using Mobil1 EP on a similar engine, and it looked slightly “better”. For what it’s worth, and it’s worth next to nothing.
If ST 20K was 30% less than Mobil1 EP I might consider it (even though I'd never go over 10K on an OCI and more like 8K max.) When ST 20K is close in price to Mobil1 EP with no advertising budget, it's a no-brainer that I'll use Mobil1 EP first.

Back