Super Tech Oil From Wal Mart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mongo161
Hey 45acp,

How could you tell which oil is bottled by EOM and which is bottled by WPP?

All I've ever seen is the bottles and Jugs with WPP or WNE on the bottom of the container. So how do you know for sure?

"I think XOM ST is better than WPP ST but i have no real proof of this.

Also i know from personal experience that XOM tends to be on the thin side of oils. This is usually a good thing (thin for its grade.)"[/i]

Packaging.

XOM has the angular, Star Wars looking containers.

WPP is curved.

This is because other EXOM products *the M1 0W-40 jugs as a prime example) tend to resemble the XOM ST jugs. WPP has curvature and its quart bottles have the cap in the center, whereas XOM quarts are still the widemouth angular.

I could verify through the markings but i know how the packaging looks so i dont.
21.gif

Also, XOM infers "Mobil" whereas WPP infers "dated packaging" o i dont see how a lesser producer, though good, could perhaps be "better" than XOM. XOM seems to be in more stores too.

EDIT:
See the difference

XOM
DSCN2133.jpg

Notice the bottles and tiny caps for quarts, shape for jugs.

WPP
mobstek.jpg

0068113142360_100X100.jpg

WPP ST is good i simply think XOM is better and i would seek it out over WPP, the prime reason being manufacture of 5W-20 grade. XOM makes 5W-20 i have NEVER seen 5W-20 WPP/WNE jug, that makes me seek XOM ST. It is a good oil and i would run it in a car.

tn_GM-Chevrolet-Malibu-3500-V6-Engine-Oil-Change-Guide-004.jpg

HTH

I have been using the WPP made ST HM and now conv. and it seems to do better than the name brand that I was using.

Why pay more for advertising and celebrity endorsements when you can get a great oil cheaper?

Originally Posted By: motorguy222
I have been using the WPP made ST HM and now conv. and it seems to do better than the name brand that I was using.

Why pay more for advertising and celebrity endorsements when you can get a great oil cheaper?

Indeed!

Couldn't agree more!

I'm still working through my bitog stash hoarded mainly from 05-07 and quite a bit of that was Supertech in regular and HM varieties when it was between $5-8 for the big jug. I usually leave a little room for arx, mmo, or SLOB, depending on the car and viscosity. On the two newer Hondas, I go by the maint minder, which typically takes the Ody out to 5-6k and the Fit to 11k or so. So far, so good...

Don't forget about the Peak at Big Lots. IMO....this is the same as WM SuperTech....it's all bottled by Warren Performance Parts.

Peak is bottled for Old World Industries by WPP/WNE....same as WM SuperTech conventional oil for $3 a quart.

There is a $2 rebate for quart for oil purchased at Big Lots, up to 5 quarts per household.

For some Great Motor Oil, the same as WM Supertech, at only $1 a quart, after rebate.

Hello everyone I'm new to this forum and thanks for such a complete and specific analysis of st oil
I use st 5w30 since the mid 90"s in my fleet of GM trucks. 5000km oil change and never had any oil related problems, some of these trucks were driven really rough by employees and did very high mileage. Had various engines from a 2.2 liter 2.5, 4.3, 4.8, 5.0 ,5.3, 5.7 one of them in particular a 99 Silverado with a 4.8 is still on the road with 670,000 km +- 400,000 miles on it and beaten to death every day by a landscaping guy to who I sold it 4 years ago. He lives near my place and I often see my old truck towing overloaded trailers driven by people who have only two speeds: either stop or full throttle. Worse than that, he came and ask me how do you turn that bell off? He was talking about the oil life monitor message, I settled it at 100% again and told him you have to change your oil now! He said, yeah sure! This truck was sold at 340,000 km means I know for sure half of its life was on st oil from wal-mart. This is a test and a true one. My own personal truck is now a 2010 silverado crewcab 4x4 with the indestructible 4.8 liter.

Super Tech oil technically meets the specifications for my Buick because it's certified by the API and is 5W-30. I wouldn't use it in my Chrysler because it doesn't have the MS-6395 specification.

I'm sure Super Tech won't hurt anything but I wouldn't want to put it in my Chrysler because it's not guaranteed to protect my engine.

Originally Posted By: johnsmellsalot
Super Tech oil technically meets the specifications for my Buick because it's certified by the API and is 5W-30. I wouldn't use it in my Chrysler because it doesn't have the MS-6395 specification.

I'm sure Super Tech won't hurt anything but I wouldn't want to put it in my Chrysler because it's not guaranteed to protect my engine.

Do you still have a warranty on the Chrysler? If not Supertech will preform just as well as any other GF-5/SN API certified oil.

I've used ST oil a lot over the years, for full fills and top-offs. no problems at all, not that I expect any.

In Canada, ST oil is re-refined oil made by Safety-Kleen.

Yes, it's still under warranty.
Originally Posted By: dave1251
Originally Posted By: johnsmellsalot

Do you still have a warranty on the Chrysler? If not Supertech will preform just as well as any other GF-5/SN API certified oil.

Originally Posted By: addyguy

Be careful when you look at this week's Canadian Walmart flyer; you may fall off your chair. 4 L of ST for $6. We haven't seen a price like that for many, many years.

not much cost difference now between st and the name brands on a 5 qt jug - $2?

hope its due to no ads, but could be reduced additive package, or maybe some of both?
how much do additives add to the cost of a 5 qt jug? 30 cents or $3?

car engines are expensive to replace

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: addyguy
I've used ST oil a lot over the years, for full fills and top-offs. no problems at all, not that I expect any.

=====================
so it is like next gen? without the hype?
Talk about advertising costs? what are they for next gen,
----------
and what % of sales is advertising for say castrol,or pennsoil etc --you would think it would be low after costs of business, labor, profit, taxes,shipping plus the cost of the oil- seems someone with access to a oil company statement could calculate the per quart cost of advertising, i bet its not much,
my fear is lack of quality control at a non name brand company ("well its cheap oil, what do people expect? mentality" combined with wal marts price pressure hey wwe need to leave something out to make the price point))

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pdxyota
Chrysler products don't really work well, regardless of the oil used. I wouldn't worry about it.

Such a foolish post in a two year old thread.

Originally Posted By: pdxyota
Chrysler products don't really work well, regardless of the oil used. I wouldn't worry about it.

As the long time owner of a 2005 Dodge Caravan I should be offended by your comment... but I'm not. If I had to list the amount of money on parts and repairs done to this vehicle I'd probably start to cry. I do think Supertech oil is fine for any engine (dodge included).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back