Super tech filter #'s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any body know how to cross these? I have a 5.0L boat motor and the new factory filter is an E-core mercruiser p/n 35-866340k01. I know the ST5 is the longer version but I really don't have room for it. Anybody know the shorter version of the ST5?

I have no clue what it would be in SuperTech ..but here's some alternatives.

57099 - exact match in WIX

Champ will know:
Filter Hotline: 1-800-882-0890 (toll-free) or 1-618-445-5392

The Champ filter for this is the PH454 when given your Merc p/n. They don't give an ST number.

Here's an interesting footnote about the PH454

http://www.showmetheparts.com/BIN/documents/champ/Installation for PH454 & PH1218.pdf

Their oddball interchange guide is located under CATALOG on their home page. look for on line ordering

Found the ST# by using the Fram site, since the ST's are based on the fram numbering system. ST8873 is the number. I must say that this is the first time I used the Fram site to cross filters over
06.gif
I think its better than the wix one.
thumbsup2.gif
No more factory E-cores for me! Retail on this filter is $15, I'll probably start using the AC PF454 unless its an E-core, if so than the WIX one's will do.

When I put my filter number in on the wix site I get a 51086, it appears to be the same as the 57099 except it's white instead of black. I beleive the 57099 is also cheaper.

Chris,

I think the PH30 crosses to the AC PF12 which is obsolete. Both those filters have no ADBV. My filter runs inverted so the ADBV is a must.

Originally Posted By: gmctodd
Chris,

I think the PH30 crosses to the AC PF12 which is obsolete. Both those filters have no ADBV. My filter runs inverted so the ADBV is a must.

I don't think this is the case. If I'm correct, your filter sits high and is, as you say, inverted. There's nothing to stop it from draining forward. It may take a while before a bubble reaches the filter, but it should occur. Any leakage from the ADBV (most do, to a certain point) and you'll have even more voided oil passages.

I had the same situation when I mounted dual remote filters too high.

Do you experience a full "gushing" filter whe you service it?

It will prevent, as it is designed to do, rapid and extended back flushing, but in the position that it's in, I don't see a substantial column of oil above it
21.gif

Quote:
I must say that this is the first time I used the Fram site to cross filters over I think its better than the wix one.

You're right - there is no comparison!! Fram's cross-reference list is a big help.
thumbsup2.gif

Use the number for the newer Big-block chevy engine since 1999. This filter is even shorter than the already-short ST5 you were looking at. Mobil 1 part number is M1-111. 2 for 20 bucks at AZ. Crosses to the Wix 57099 mentioned above, but costs more. I have gotten them from Advance Auto before, but always with an oil deal on sale to keep the price down.

Went to AAP this afternoon they had AC Delco PF454's for $3.89, and as suspected they were E-core's. So I picked up a Puroloator L15313 for $4.99 appears to be a well built filter. AAP also had the M1 filter and 5 Qts for $29.99 again and I still have 2 M1 loyalty rebates to use.
thumbsup2.gif
$20 for a M1 filter and 5qts of oil sounds good to me!

I also stopped at the AC Delco jobber. He didn't even stock the PF454's. I asked him if Delco still made any oil filters and he replied " Yes they make all current model AC Delco filters" I asked what he meant and he told me that AC makes all filters for vehicles currently being manufactured, and only outsources filters after they are no longer installed on new models. Examples he used were the PF47 and PF52. AC no longer uses them on the assembly line so they are outsourced. I guess that could be true
21.gif

Question about bypass: If my GM engine has the bypass valve attatched to it, Would there still be one in the filter? The wix site states their equivalent (57099) has no bypass. The Fram site states their equivalent(PH8873) has none also.

Common AC's such as PF 47 and PF 52 don't have bypasses. You can run a filter with a bypass on engines with a bypass. It is possible some brands of filters may sell filters with bypasses for GM applications. I mostly bought AC when I was using a common number I could find.

Went to AAP this afternoon they had AC Delco PF454's for $3.89, and as suspected they were E-core's. So I picked up a Puroloator L15313 for $4.99 appears to be a well built filter. AAP also had the M1 filter and 5 Qts for $29.99 again and I still have 2 M1 loyalty rebates to use.
thumbsup2.gif
$20 for a M1 filter and 5qts of oil sounds good to me!

I also stopped at the AC Delco jobber. He didn't even stock the PF454's. I asked him if Delco still made any oil filters and he replied " Yes they make all current model AC Delco filters" I asked what he meant and he told me that AC makes all filters for vehicles currently being manufactured, and only outsources filters after they are no longer installed on new models. Examples he used were the PF47 and PF52. AC no longer uses them on the assembly line so they are outsourced. I guess that could be true
21.gif

The AC jobber is wrong, AC no longer manufactures filters. All are outscorced. OE and after market. Champ Labs is the primary supplier.

For some reason, Amsoil oil filters typically do have a bypass valve in the filter for the GM apps that do not require them. I always wondered if this was a sort of double safety feature in case of the unlikely event that the one in the engine siezes in the closed position and does not allow bypass, leaving the filter unprotected from excessive pressure in certain situations.

BTW, the Amsoil number for your app is EaO59, and is probably the only one available that has a bypass valve built into it.

Chris,

Which st filter crosses to a PH30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back