Super Tech bad experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a Super Tech oil filter on my 97 Stratus V6, which is a larger filter (ST16 I think). I went to change the oil myself and put the metal oil filter removal tool (the kind that goes over the entire bottom end of the filter) on it, connected the socket wrench and turned. The filter was on pretty good, but the filter just became rounded at once and the wrench was useless. The removal tool is spcifically for this size filter, too! I've never had this happen. So I commenced pounding a screwdriver through it and finally did get it off. Think this was a bad filter or what?

i use a orange filter removal tool that is pretty universal. it's the one they sell in walmart made of fiberglass or something and it has never rounded off a filter.

that's crazy, as i've never had to use a screwdriver (gasp) to remove a filter, even the ones put on at jiffy lube
shocked.gif

quote:

Originally posted by seotaji:

that's crazy, as i've never had to use a screwdriver (gasp) to remove a filter, even the ones put on at jiffy lube
shocked.gif

I have... '87 Toyota MR2.. mid engine car, the OF comes off the side of the block under the exhaust manifold. the filter is a ***** to get off.

-Bret

I don't remember ever having much of a problem removing a filter or having one leakor come loose. I always oil the gasket and don't over tighten them.

Forgot to say I have mostly used ST on my truck the last 2-3 years.

The Super Tech use very flimsy metal. My neighbor had a hard time getting one off also that the Walmart service center installed. He came to get my good Snap-On filter tools, the can collapsed on him when he tried to get it off. He had to drive a screwdriver into it to get it off also.

Thats where they cut costs, by using thinner metal cans.

You just need one of those metal band-type filter wrenches for situations like that (and sometimes a piece of rubber too).

[ June 12, 2004, 07:51 PM: Message edited by: rpn453 ]

quote:

Originally posted by seotaji:
shocked.gif

I have once. The filter had been put on so tight at a quick lube place that the gasket was totally deformed and creeping past the outside edge of the filter!

When I was working at a gas station about 25 years ago, I had a customer come in that had tried to do his own oil change.
The base plate from the old filter was underneath his new filter.
It actually wasn't leaking too bad.
It was closing time, so I "got" to leave it for day shift.
grin.gif

Break the filter lose cold. Once you break it lose lightly tighten and start up the engien. Let it warm up and change. It will be easy this way. If you run the engine before breaking it lose it is 10X harder.

I am not suprised because when I cut open a ST2 I was not all that impressed. The components were flimsy to say the least. I will stay away from them for that reason. Besides, my vehicle calls for a silicone gasket and ADBV and the ST2 only has an ordinary rubber one. For a buck more the Motorcraft is an excellent value!
fruit.gif

Cap wrenches are usually brand specific and won't work well if the filter isn't an exact match. I like to avoid them whenever possible. Although I don't think a wrench is ever needed if the filter is tightened properly, a strap wrench is the best methos for removing tight filters.

-T

quote:

Originally posted by Stuart Hughes:
When you run into an extra tight oil filter- I've found that a pair of 16" Channel-Lock pliers works wonders!
grin.gif

My routine first choice for everything except the plastic cap over the element on my Ecotec.

I have 2 (one large and one small) Snap-On strap wrench's purchased over 10 yrs ago, they were the best quality I could find back then and have a handle that can flex to any position. I tried all the other seemly better tools but they don't compare to the quality Snap-On strap wrench.

If WalMart sells it, you don't want it.

Hugea$$ Channel locks work pretty good.

Better? In my book, the huge a$$ big mouth Vise Grips are the best thing for removing a stuck on filter.

The worst stuck filter I had was a VW factory filter, first oil change. Turns out there was a factory scratch on the aluminum mating flange, it must have leaked and some Wolfsburg yaahoo tightened the sh!t out of the thing to stop the leak (rather than find the cause)....lucky for VW, a little patience and super fine emery paper cleaned the surface up perfectly.

Sometimes they get a bit stuck after 10K+ OCI's, but indeed as long as the filter is not overtightened, it's not a huge issue.

[ June 13, 2004, 09:58 AM: Message edited by: Pablo ]

I guess if I ran into a filter I couldn't get with my Channellocks, I would fall back on the my Vise Grip chain wrench. I like the Channellocks. They were something I already had, they are hanging where I can quickly grab them, I can quickly get a new bite in tight places, and they have worked on any filters I removed since I realized I had a great tool for the job. The Vice Grips do a fine job, but are slow.

I don't ever remember having much trouble removing a filter. I never go to Jiffy Lube or my dealer, I oil the gasket, and I follow the directions on tightening. Likely the guys that remove them by hand do about the same thing, they just have a little more grip than I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back