Denso Gasket Observation

More useless drivel; just an observation that's irrelevant since the 150-2016 is NLA. I was collecting the old oil filters out of my filter drain can and noticed the gasket of the 150-2016 Denso filter that was removed from the Lexus.

20230616_164041.jpg

I thought all Denso filters came with a "P" x-section gasket. This one is definietly a rectangular (flat) gasket Perhaps this pre-dates introduction of the "P" style gasket? I have a used Denso 150-2010 filter that definitely still shows the "P" x-section gasket.

Some think flat v. "P" is a big deal. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Observation is how we learn & decide what we like. lol I suppose everyone has their preferences but I agree that a good quality gasket with different edges shouldn't make anyone sweat.

I a Denso branded filter and several Toyota branded Denso filters here that are all P gaskets. I prefer the P gasket only because it seems easier to feel first contact with the mating surface, so I know where to start counting my 3/4 turn. However I agree it likely doesn't much matter.

Topic filter 'looks' to be a China made Denso First Time Fit (FTF). Afaik, the Denso FTF have always used flat/square sealing gasket. Otoh, the Toyota OEM Thai Denso uses a P type gasket. I agree, either type gasket works.

As and aside, only sealing gasket I've had fail was a dealer installed Toyota OEM Denso with the P type gasket. Began dripping not too long after installation, snugging it slightly later didn't help. I speculate it may have been overtightened when installed. Dealer said something about recall, seemed a bogus explanation to me. Installed a new one for free.

Back