Super Tech Anti Freeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
What evidence do you have to support this contention? Supertech antifreeze is clearly made by Old World Industries and has the same additive package as Peak Extended Life Antifreeze because the two products list the same proprietary codes. But Old World Industries is very secretive about the composition of their additive packages. Why do you believe that Peak Extended Life Antifreeze (marketed as suitable for all vehicles) contains 2-EHA when so many automotive manufacturers specifically recommend coolants that do NOT contain 2-EHA?

I have bought the supertech all makes coolant ever since it came out. The stuff works just FINE.

I dump and refill every fall.

Using it in 2 former dexcool applications.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
I have bought the supertech all makes coolant ever since it came out. The stuff works just FINE.

When I used ST All Makes coolant a couple of years ago the consensus was that it was the same as Prestone AMM. I used it without any problems in my Buick which called for Dexcool. I believe that all Peak EL coolants (except Global), Prestone AMM and ST contain 2-EHA. I also believe that 2-EHA does cause degradation of certain types of gaskets (plastics). I think it's an excellent coolant in applications where it doesn't contact the gasket.

Justin: I think you would have no problem going at least 2 years between changes.

Originally Posted By: ponderosaTX
What evidence do you have to support this contention? Supertech antifreeze is clearly made by Old World Industries and has the same additive package as Peak Extended Life Antifreeze because the two products list the same proprietary codes. But Old World Industries is very secretive about the composition of their additive packages. Why do you believe that Peak Extended Life Antifreeze (marketed as suitable for all vehicles) contains 2-EHA when so many automotive manufacturers specifically recommend coolants that do NOT contain 2-EHA?

Because it lists it as an ingredient on the back of the bottle.

Originally Posted By: pbm
Originally Posted By: JustinH

When I used ST All Makes coolant a couple of years ago the consensus was that it was the same as Prestone AMM. I used it without any problems in my Buick which called for Dexcool. I believe that all Peak EL coolants (except Global), Prestone AMM and ST contain 2-EHA. I also believe that 2-EHA does cause degradation of certain types of gaskets (plastics). I think it's an excellent coolant in applications where it doesn't contact the gasket.

Justin: I think you would have no problem going at least 2 years between changes.

You are absolutely right on that one. Its just old habit to want fresh coolant in the car before every winter. I could probably go more than 2 years.. For 8 bucks in coolant, and 2 jugs of distilled water, its worth the money to me..

Well I just installed a new radiator yesterday and I put 1gal of Peak Long Life 50/50 mix and top off the rest with Super Tech 50/50 antifreeze in my Infiniti. I've never heard of 2-eha until today so I'm not too worried about the 2-eha deal since I've been topping off my radiator with the cheapest 50/50 mix I could find. After 212k, I'm not too concerned plus the 2-eha is less than 3% according to the msds:

Peak LL 50/50: http://www.peakantifreeze.com/msds/msds_pk_longlife_5050.pdf
SuperTech 50/50: http://msds.walmartstores.com/cache/339831.pdf (last revised in 2003)
Peak Global Life Time 50/50: http://www.peakantifreeze.com/msds/msds_peak_global_lifetime_5050.pdf (same exact formula as the cheaper Peak Long Life...)

Peak LL/EL all makes most likely does contain 2-EHA. The MSDS doesn't say what the organic acid is, but it is believed to be 2-EHA. Supertech is supplied by both Prestone and Peak. Prestone is for sure 2-EHA. Basically Supertech has 2-EHA either way and is a dexclone. Peak Global is not the same as Peak LL/EL, and is not G-05 although Global might be some what similar to G-05. G-05 contains some silicates and Peak Global does not. There's another thread in this forum explaining all that.

Two options on antifreeze for your Ford. Run the Motorcraft brand or G-05 from Zerex lists for new Fords. If you are really serious about your Ford check for the WSS code for the spec your car recommends. (WSS-M97B51-A1) Check your owners manual and compare codes and you are an informed consumer!

Originally Posted By: sayjac
I'm using Peak LL because I'm not worried about whether it has 2eha or not. It's been said on this board many times that if you service your system regularly that is most important thing. Nissan calls for coolant service every 2year/30k anyway. I've used all makes in 2 vehicles for ~5years with no issues.

Never heard of "universal oil", poor analogy. As for Zerex Asian, it only comes in 50/50, and I've not seen it anywhere. And, I don't buy any coolant that's not full strength. I always do a distilled flush series, without finding block drains, very difficult to get a 50% coolant concentration in system using 50/50.

Around me, all makes coolants are the majority of the market, easiest to find, least expensive to buy.

Chill pill?

I don't understand why anyone would use the 50/50 in any brand. It's not possible to completely drain a system even if you open the block plug/plugs. A 50/60% antifreeze cannot be achieved so buy the full strength stuff.

As many have said, stick with G-05. It is not even that expensive. You can get it at any Ford dealership's parts counter for about $10-$12/jug (Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant). I remember paying about $9/jug for it a few years ago at a small-town Ford dealership.

I wouldn't run Super Tech oil in my vehicles so I won't use their coolant either which IS green Deathcool (chemically identical other than dye color). G-05 is an EXCELLENT Deathcool replacement AFTER a thorough DISTILLED WATER flush.

Get in the habit of draining your radiator and overflow once a year when the weather is nice and fill them back up with 50/50 G-05 and DISTILLED WATER. Check the levels in both at least twice a month. I say when it is nice because why work in the cold?

Originally Posted By: Coolant_Man
Get in the habit of draining your radiator and overflow once a year...

Once every 2 years is fine too if the coolant looks clean.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
I'm using Peak LL because I'm not worried about whether it has 2eha or not. It's been said on this board many times that if you service your system regularly that is most important thing. Nissan calls for coolant service every 2year/30k anyway. I've used all makes in 2 vehicles for ~5years with no issues.

Never heard of "universal oil", poor analogy. As for Zerex Asian, it only comes in 50/50, and I've not seen it anywhere. And, I don't buy any coolant that's not full strength. I always do a distilled flush series, without finding block drains, very difficult to get a 50% coolant concentration in system using 50/50.

Around me, all makes coolants are the majority of the market, easiest to find, least expensive to buy.

Chill pill?

As you can never drain block entirely, all cars using a 50/50 concentrate are running on far less than a 50% concentration of coolant.

Why do you believe that Peak Extended Life Antifreeze (marketed as suitable for all vehicles) contains 2-EHA when so many automotive manufacturers specifically recommend coolants that do NOT contain 2-EHA?

Uhh... because it lists "Ethyl Hexanoates" on the bottle!!!

At any rate, neither G-05 nor ANY Peak coolant is suitable for use in most Japanese vehicles because they do not contain phosphates. G-05 is a particularly bad match to Japanese vehicles because it contains silicates.

There's nothing in the metallurgy of Japanese engines that really suggests that silicates are bad and phosphates are good. Its not really any different from the manufacturers that recommend G-05. Why the Japanese manufacturers zeroed in on phosphates is something of a mystery to me. G-05 should actually work quite well, just like (in theory) Zerex Asian Vehicle (phosphated HOAT) should work just fine in cars that recommend G-05. Not that I'm going to reverse them myself- both are readily available, so its easy enough stick with what's recommended. The big bugaboo, as everyone pretty much knows, is 2EHA in engines that aren't designed for DexCool. And yet most of the "all makes all models" antifreeze out there contains ethyl hexanoates- which just makes NO sense to me. Both G-05 and P-HOAT would appear to be safer and if anything closer to "universal" than EHA-containing coolants, since both protect the two big metals (iron and aluminum) without attacking polymer gaskets. The one question in my mind would be copper alloy metals (brass and bronze- like some heater cores and waterpump impellers on older vehicles. G-05 does OK with copper-containing metals. Don't know about P-HOAT.

As far as I know, Phosphate was added to the HOAT coolants to provide the immediate protection, while Organic Acids provide long-term protection.

Yeah that's what I think but OAT's and 2EHA do not have cavitation erosion problems. Besides they lay down a coating eventually that provides full time protection. Besides GM and maybe VW running a straight OAT many HD Oems do as well and it protects fine. I don't think a hybrid is a necessity and OAT's have their advantages as well. I'm just not completely sold on 2EHA as the OAT to use though.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
I'm just not completely sold on 2EHA as the OAT to use though.

Unless you like chocolate milkshake in your engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back