Super Tech 5W30 Synthetic vs. QSUD 5W30 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by diyjake
Warren oil has been around since 1975 (44 years), just because they don't spend thousands of dollars on advertisement and you don't see their name on nascar's doesn't mean they are not a brand name or a lower quality oil.

That's absolutely true, but on the other hand, there's nothing wrong with supporting a company that sponsors a piece of entertainment that you like and appreciate.

I guess my biggest hang up with Warren products is that not to many years ago Warren was associated with low end cheap junk oils and still make off the wall store brand stuff still today
I guess they can make decent products but I have a hard time trusting what they make for my vehicles

Originally Posted by kstanf150
I guess my biggest hang up with Warren products is that not to many years ago Warren was associated with low end cheap junk oils and still make off the wall store brand stuff still today
I guess they can make decent products but I have a hard time trusting what they make for my vehicles

That's Warren Oil, which makes stuff like Coastal. Coastal includes standard API licensed motor oil but also some oddball oils.

It doesn't look like Warren Distribution messes with outdated API specs.

Yeah this is the legitimate Warren Oil aka Coastal 5w30.... This is a API SN plus GF-5 approved oil.

I think their Saxon brand oil has the older API approved oils.

IMG_20190309_010521628.jpg

Originally Posted by bbhero
Yeah this is the legitimate Warren Oil aka Coastal 5w30.... This is a API SN plus GF-5 approved oil.

I think their Saxon brand oil has the older API approved oils.

They're making what they call a non-detergent oil meeting API SA standards. But they give it nice big warnings in big block letters.

http://www.warrenoil.com/MSDS-Spec/PDS/Coastal/PDS - Coastal Non-Detergent Motor Oil.pdf

Coastal Non-Detergent Motor Oil is intended for use in compressors
which call for a non-detergent oil.

Coastal Non-Detergent Motor Oil is a straight mineral oil, containing no additives. It is recommended for applications recommending non- detergent oil, or API SA quality.

CAUTION - THIS OIL IS RATED API SA. IT CONTAINS NO ADDITIVES. IT IS NOT SUITABLE FOR USE IN MOST GASOLINE- POWERED AUTOMOTIVE ENGINES BUILT AFTER 1930. USE IN MODERN ENGINES MAY CAUSE UNSATISFACTORY ENGINE PERFORMANCE OR EQUIPMENT HARM.

[Linked Image]

I remember seeing Coastal API SF 10W-30 at AutoZone back around 2001 maybe. I had an Acura Integra GS-R and was thinking of using that instead of the latest motor oil. The owners manual said API SF or SG, even though SJ was the standard back when I got my car. It was cheaper than Red Line MTL. However, Honda MTF might have been the best choice; I believe it was back spec'ed for any Honda manual transmission that previously used motor oil.

Originally Posted by wemay
Either. Both are not just excellent value but great oil.

*SuperTech syn is still $15.xx here.

Yes, same price here
wink.gif

I think a lot of people (including me at one point) didn't really know the difference between the more popular {sic, advertised} brands and house brands, such as ST, so we erred on the side of the biggest name. Now that we know that there is really very little difference, (don't take my word, look at Blackstone's recommendations, and VOA/UOAs), the situation gets further complicated by the two Warren named companies. Warren Distribution is a very well respected company, that makes top notch lubes, but it can be contused on internet talk. Then you add to that fact the sour taste some have for Walmart, and the argument gets further fuel for the fire.

In reality SuperTech is good oil and lubes, anyone who can actually dispute that with actual facts come forward and let us know so we won't be blowing up our engines needlessly. Normally what we hear is just opinion based on bias.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back