Super Tech 5W30 Synthetic vs. QSUD 5W30 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm using PPPP now, but it's hard to find it in stock at my loca Walmart, at least on a consistent basis.

I may move over to QSUD. I'm going no more than 5k, so I think QSUD is more than up to the task, even in a GTDI engine. It's quality oil at a great price. Close to PPPP in my research. As many say, any SN plus, d1g2 oil will be great when it meets the vehicle requirements.

As far as ST, it's from a real oil manufacturer. Don't be silly. It might not be "brand name," but it's good oil. Period.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by dadto2
I've been using Super Tech syn in 10w-30, 5w-30, and 0w-20 (depending upon which vehicle) for about 20 years. And I buy my cars 1-2 years old and drive them into the 200k+ mileage range. I've never had an engine problem, the rest of the car starts to fall apart first.

I'll be adding PP 5w-30 to the mix soon, only because we've got my late mother-in-law's Volvo S60 which requires A5/B5. but I would not have a problem using Super Tech for a shorter interval in that car if I had to.

You are not 1st and last owner of your vehicles.
Also, 99% of folks that turn the key and start their vehicles, do not look-out the rear view mirror and see blue smoke. Heck, they haven't a clue there's a engine problem. Another vast majority seem to think that the ticks they are hearing under the hood are normal. Another vast majority haven't a clue that only 500 miles into their new OCI, their engine is exhibiting black colored dipsticks.

But hey, you like Supertech, so keep using it. I'll keep going with a real oil manufacturer, one that's been around forever and with good reason why it still exists today.

Warren oil has been around since 1975 (44 years), just because they don't spend thousands of dollars on advertisement and you don't see their name on nascar's doesn't mean they are not a brand name or a lower quality oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by diyjake
I've been using Super Tech syn in 10w-30, 5w-30, and 0w-20 (depending upon which vehicle) for about 20 years. And I buy my cars 1-2 years old and drive them into the 200k+ mileage range. I've never had an engine problem, the rest of the car starts to fall apart first.

I'll be adding PP 5w-30 to the mix soon, only because we've got my late mother-in-law's Volvo S60 which requires A5/B5. but I would not have a problem using Super Tech for a shorter interval in that car if I had to.

Also, 99% of folks that turn the key and start their vehicles, do not look-out the rear view mirror and see blue smoke. Heck, they haven't a clue there's a engine problem. Another vast majority seem to think that the ticks they are hearing under the hood are normal. Another vast majority haven't a clue that only 500 miles into their new OCI, their engine is exhibiting black colored dipsticks.

But hey, you like Supertech, so keep using it. I'll keep going with a real oil manufacturer, one that's been around forever and with good reason why it still exists today.

Warren oil has been around since 1975 (44 years), just because they don't spend thousands of dollars on advertisement and you don't see their name on nascar's doesn't mean they are not a brand name or a lower quality oil.

Bravo!!!

I use the QSUD in my Hyundai only because I am under warranty, and Hyundai recommends QS in the manual and on the placard on the radiator.

When I googled Warren oil I found that they were around since 1975 but according to their web site they were founded in 1922, been around long enough to call them a solid company.

When I googled Warren oil I found that they were around since 1975 but according to their web site they were founded in 1922, been around long enough to call them a solid company.

Not sure what the difference is between Warren Oil and Warren Distribution.

https://engineoil.api.org/Directory/EolcsResultsDetail?accountId=-1&companyId=10297
https://engineoil.api.org/Directory/EolcsResultsDetail?accountId=-1&companyId=10298

Both entities seem to supply Meijer. Walmart has its own license and doesn't piggyback off of the manufacturer's license for EOLCS.

I am sure they are separate companies, I had googled Warren oil instead of Warren distribution but Super Tech is manufactured by Warren Distribution.

Not advertising and not being on NACAR's list, sure sounds to me like something is lacking with their base oil. I'm not knocking their add-packs BTW.
buying the store brand name stuff. Enjoy the house brands. I hope they serve you well.

"Not advertising and not being on NACAR's list, sure sounds to me like something is lacking with their oil.
Knock yourself out buying the store brand name stuff."

What a weird statement. If I don't see it on tv then I'm not buying it.

i too am starting to use the cheaper sans rebates super tech oils, even the amazon basics look good. their 0-20 specs rival other big names BUT i never use xxW20 oils!!

Originally Posted by PimTac
"Not advertising and not being on NACAR's list, sure sounds to me like something is lacking with their oil.

I know deaf and blind people that don't base their purchases on what they hear or see on TV.

I just applauded Edge Black 5w30 on a couple different threads, due to it's extreme low Calcium and extreme high Magnesium and there hasn't been an ounce of advertising on it's VOAs/UOAs on TV or radio.
Where do you get this stuff Pim Tac?...... OMG.

Last edited:
Not advertising and not being on NACAR's list, sure sounds to me like something is lacking with their base oil. I'm not knocking their add-packs BTW.
buying the store brand name stuff. Enjoy the house brands. I hope they serve you well.

Chevron doesn't advertise their lubes outside of internet videos. Don't recall a single race sponsorship. Yet they're state of the art and even supply other motor oil blenders with base oils and additives.

The other thing about Walmart is that they've always had multiple suppliers. Supposedly at least three in the United States including Warren Distribution and ExxonMobil.

As far as Warren Distribution goes, likely they buy a ready made additive package and blend it with a specified blend of base oils. They wouldn't even need to run their own sequence tests. That would be a perfectly acceptable way to do things. Even some of the big brands really only do that since it's cheaper than developing a motor oil from scratch.

Also - Quaker State isn't Quaker State. Hasn't been since they merged with Pennzoil, the combined company was bought out by Royal Dutch Shell, the Equilon joint venture was created, and then SOPUS products was formed. Fine product - I would probably use it if given the choice between that an SuperTech, but there's nothing wrong with it either.

I know deaf and blind people that don't base their purchases on what they hear or see on TV.

I just applauded Edge Black 5w30 on a couple different threads, due to it's extreme low Calcium and extreme high Magnesium and there hasn't been an ounce of advertising on it's VOAs/UOAs on TV or radio.

So, because Warren doesn't waste money paying NASCAR to put their logo on a car, their oil is substandard? Cult much?

🤦â€â™‚ï¸ðŸ›¥ðŸ›¥ðŸ›¥ðŸ›¥ðŸ›¥ðŸ›¥ðŸŽ£ðŸŽ£

Originally Posted by y_p_w

Chevron doesn't advertise their lubes outside of internet videos. Don't recall a single race sponsorship. Yet they're state of the art and even supply other motor oil blenders with base oils and additives.

Chevron owns:
- Texaco
- Havoline
- DELO

All of which are brands you will recognize from motorsports. Texaco/Havoline sponsored NASCAR for more than 20 years. These brands are also familiar to folks that followed CART, Indy, Formula One...etc.

Originally Posted by benjy
i too am starting to use the cheaper sans rebates super tech oils, even the amazon basics look good. their 0-20 specs rival other big names BUT i never use xxW20 oils!!

Super Tech and Amazon are the same oil made by Warren.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

Chevron owns:
- Texaco
- Havoline
- DELO

All of which are brands you will recognize from motorsports. Texaco/Havoline sponsored NASCAR for more than 20 years. These brands are also familiar to folks that followed CART, Indy, Formula One...etc.

I do remember Havoline sponsoring several teams, but haven't they been out of it for a while?

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

Chevron owns:
- Texaco
- Havoline
- DELO

I do remember Havoline sponsoring several teams, but haven't they been out of it for a while?

They stopped sponsoring Nascar back in like 2008? But I believe they still sponsor the other stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back