Super Tech 5W30 Synthetic vs. QSUD 5W30 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Super Tech Synthetic 5W30 $17
QSUD Synthetic 5W30 $19

*Which of the above would you trust and use for up to a 7,500 mile OCI ?

Last edited:
Both, with a slight nod to the Quaker State.
grin.gif

Either. Both are not just excellent value but great oil.

*SuperTech syn is still $15.xx here.

Last edited:
So many oils are much more similar than we think. I called Mag1 again yesterday to ask how long could I keep Mag1 Synthetic Blend in my ecoboost Mustang. He said go by the owner's manual. He wouldn't give me mileage numbers. I asked if Mag1 Synthetic Blend was as good as Motorcraft Synthetic Blend. He said their oils exceed all of Motorcraft oils. I asked if Mag1 Full Synthetic was a better oil than SuperTech Full Synthetic. He said he wasn't allowed to say but, they are comparable.

Someone here posted the Dexos license list. Here is a link to it. When I type in Mag1's license number D10394HG025, 18 matches come up on the list. I guess that means Mag1 makes those 18 oils. One more thing the guy at Mag1 told me after asking my last question...which oil number/data is the most important. He said they are all important but, the main thing to go by are the approval seals on any oil. Lots of oils are similar/comparable.

https://www.gmdexos.com/owner/brands/dexos1/index.html

Originally Posted by Mustangmaster
So many oils are much more similar than we think. I called Mag1 again yesterday to ask how long could I keep Mag1 Synthetic Blend in my ecoboost Mustang. He said go by the owner's manual. He wouldn't give me mileage numbers. I asked if Mag1 Synthetic Blend was as good as Motorcraft Synthetic Blend. He said their oils exceed all of Motorcraft oils. I asked if Mag1 Full Synthetic was a better oil than SuperTech Full Synthetic. He said he wasn't allowed to say but, they are comparable.

Someone here posted the Dexos license list. Here is a link to it. When I type in Mag1's license number D10394HG025, 18 matches come up on the list. I guess that means Mag1 makes those 18 oils. One more thing the guy at Mag1 told me after asking my last question...which oil number/data is the most important. He said they are all important but, the main thing to go by are the approval seals on any oil. Lots of oils are similar/comparable.

https://www.gmdexos.com/owner/brands/dexos1/index.html

You mean you called Warren, and yes, Warren is a manufacturer of lubes for several store brands.

What are the driving conditions and application? What is the severe / normal duty service intervals in your manual?

A $3 price difference is not going to break the bank and both are fine oils. ST is made by Warren and I have never ever heard of Warren making an oil that was not a quality oil. IMO if you cant tell the difference then why pay the difference?? You are really Paying that extra $3.00 for for tv, radio and NASCAR advertising and fancy marketing mainly. [url=http://http://www.thedrive.com...consumer-reports-concluded-a-decade-ago]

Super Tech Syn 5w30 in my area is $15.98, and QSUD is $19.97. Easy choice is Super Tech and put the $4 toward a filter. I've been happy with ST fluids for over a decade (motor oil, tranny fluid, brake fluid).

I do satellite installs. I went to a customers home and he was a mechanic who also did classic care restorations. I saw Super Tech bottles of so many fluid types in his garage. Made me feel pretty good. I have an assortment of Super Tech in my garage too.

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
Super Tech Synthetic 5W30 $17
QSUD Synthetic 5W30 $19

*Which of the above would you trust and use for up to a 7,500 mile OCI ?

For the vehicles you list, none.
Change your oil at 5K, if you are a normal 50-50 driver. If mostly-all city / stop & go and warmups for 10 minutes b/4 work, then declare yourself a more severe driver and change at 3.75K. Any manual-spec oil is fine for 3.75 to 5K OCIs. But I am not a fan of house-brand oils that are cheaper. Unless you are in dire straits financially.

I like Pennzoil Platinum, Castrol Edge black bottle, Valvoline Advanced, Mobil-1 and Quaker State Ultimate, for 5K OCIs with the vehicles you list. I would add all the boutique oils available like Amsoil,. Schaeffers, RedLine, Motul.....etc..... except most-all here are financially better-suited for common prices found.

I've been using Super Tech syn in 10w-30, 5w-30, and 0w-20 (depending upon which vehicle) for about 20 years. And I buy my cars 1-2 years old and drive them into the 200k+ mileage range. I've never had an engine problem, the rest of the car starts to fall apart first.

I'll be adding PP 5w-30 to the mix soon, only because we've got my late mother-in-law's Volvo S60 which requires A5/B5. but I would not have a problem using Super Tech for a shorter interval in that car if I had to.

I wish this board supported polls. For as many that rail against corporate greed and outsourcing...etc the sheer number that run not only oil from Walmart, but oil blended FOR Walmart, blows my mind.

That's not a dig at the product, just one at those who appear to talk out both sides of their mouth.

Originally Posted by dadto2
I've been using Super Tech syn in 10w-30, 5w-30, and 0w-20 (depending upon which vehicle) for about 20 years. And I buy my cars 1-2 years old and drive them into the 200k+ mileage range. I've never had an engine problem, the rest of the car starts to fall apart first.

I'll be adding PP 5w-30 to the mix soon, only because we've got my late mother-in-law's Volvo S60 which requires A5/B5. but I would not have a problem using Super Tech for a shorter interval in that car if I had to.

You are not 1st and last owner of your vehicles.
Also, 99% of folks that turn the key and start their vehicles, do not look-out the rear view mirror and see blue smoke. Heck, they haven't a clue there's a engine problem. Another vast majority seem to think that the ticks they are hearing under the hood are normal. Another vast majority haven't a clue that only 500 miles into their new OCI, their engine is exhibiting black colored dipsticks.

But hey, you like Supertech, so keep using it. I'll keep going with a real oil manufacturer, one that's been around forever and with good reason why it still exists today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back