Super Plug oil drain plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just an extra level of protection by magnetically trapping and preventing these too-small-to-be-trapped-by-the-oil-filter particulates to continue circulating through the oil. And what is seen on these magnets in a fully run-in engine aren't individual particles, anyway. (Hopefully the machining and break-in slag was already caught in the OEM filter long ago...) They're magnetically stacked individual microscopic particles formed into what appear to the naked eye to be solid "whiskers". Sludge starts with free circulating microscopic particles, among other things... ("From little accorns, mighty oaks grow.")

[ January 04, 2004, 02:16 PM: Message edited by: Ray H ]

The only problem I saw with the Superplug website is they want like $8.00 for s/h....whats up with that???

I would have ordered one if I didn't feel like i was getting ripped on the shipping

It's cheap insurance, as we can never be 100% sure the oil filter by-pass will never open.

I've got that many magnets on my car, every time I go for a drive, the **** thing wants to head north.
grin.gif

Dave

Also I believe a good reason to use it is to help trap particles that are usually too small to be trapped by the oil filter. Eg
Btw, I just use a button sized 'rare earth' magnet and stuck that to the end of the sump plug. It works well.

quote:

Originally posted by Leo:
Also I believe a good reason to use it is to help trap particles that are usually too small to be trapped by the oil filter. Eg

Good point! But I do wonder how effective it would be since it's sitting at the bottom of the pan like that. Would all of the particles actually sink to the bottom of the pan when you shut it down? And if they do, how many of them would actually stick to the magnet, since most of them would probably just fall in a spot too far away to get attracted to the magnet.

I once asked Terry Dyson if he felt these things were effective and he says he's seen no evidence that they lower the wear numbers in the UOAs he has looked at.

Thats also a valid point patman, but think about this. The oil is constantly in motion in the sump, from the minute you turn the key. So particles are always passing the magnet. Although the chances of it coming in contact and sticking immediately is quite slim, especially on shutdown, a few thousand hours later during an OCI, im sure most particles will have plenty of oppotunity to whisk past it! If you think about it, even 10 hours of circulation, im sure the majority of the oil would have come in contact with the magnet... (All theoretical but it makes sense to me.)

While I dont think it makes a major difference, we are BITOG fanatics, and we always look at ways to get the lowest engine wear!! So bring on the lil sump plug magnets!

quote:

Originally posted by Leo:

While I dont think it makes a major difference, we are BITOG fanatics, and we always look at ways to get the lowest engine wear!! So bring on the lil sump plug magnets!

I guess you're right, every little bit counts!
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back