Super hard landing

Well, he did damage the front landing gear and may even have had a prop strike.

His sink rate was too high and he started the flare too late. He may have been too slow, but based on how the airplane bounced it seems likely he did have enough airspeed to flare properly if he flared earlier.

He should have flared earlier, and failing that, he should have punched in power and went around on that first bounce.

should have punched in power and went around on that first bounce.
The new MD-11 rule. If the plane bounces, don't try to recover and land anyway-- instead fly a go around. When you push down during a bounce, the subsequent impact is likely to be even harder.

And if the pilot thinks the plane may have been damaged by the landing why did he sit there forever with the engines running? Wouldn't it be better to shut it down, evacuate any passengers (as it may be on fire) and get out and look?

Last edited:
The new MD-11 rule. If the plane bounces, don't try to recover and land anyway-- instead fly a go around. ...
That's a good rule in any airplane. And an old one, part of basic pilot training for decades.

While the right pilot in the right airplane under the right conditions can save a bounced landing, treat this as the exception not the rule.

Well, he did damage the front landing gear and may even have had a prop strike.

His sink rate was too high and he started the flare too late. He may have been too slow, but based on how the airplane bounced it seems likely he did have enough airspeed to flare properly if he flared earlier.

He should have flared earlier, and failing that, he should have punched in power and went around on that first bounce.
Good analysis.

Unstable approach, Idle power the whole way down looks like, high rate of descent and likely IAS was too low.

3 point “landing “ , then bounced, porpoised and came down on the nosewheel.

”Bottom fell out if “.

I have to be stable by 500 feet ( +10, -5 speed, power above idle , max 1000 feet per minute rate of descent ) or go around basically.

If I do not go around, I will get a nice phone call from the safety folks asking why I continued to land when I should not have.

I do not like talking on the phone unless it’s my wife.

Stable approaches reduce the risk of hard landings but they can still happen ( late flare ).

If the bounce is high , do a low energy GA ( full thrust, keep flaps where they are, do not increase pitch until speeds increases ) , if the bounce is low, land but NEVER push forward or you can porpoise and damage the plane.

Did anyone notice he was landing with the wind? You're supposed to land against it.
Very light tailwind , well within the limits.

I will accept a 10 knot tailwind landing on the Airbus ( max allowed ) provided we run the landing calculation considering it ( an extra 1000 feet ) if it makes operational sense.

We fly to a place in the mountains but only one end of runway has an IFR approach.

Doing a straight in with a tailwind makes more sense than breaking the approach off ( for a company visual ) and circling for the other end.

Cockpit has a wind readout and we double check the tower surface winds with what we see short final and if it was ever over 10 knots, Go Around.

Oof! Brutal.

Looks like they did damage the right prop blades.

IMG_0720.jpeg

Back