Sunoco stations with 4 different octane choices?

Status
Not open for further replies.
higher octane can be beneficial or required depending on many factors, tuning that can be easily varied today is a biggie + anything turbo'd can really pop with higher octane + the correct tuning involving boost, fueling + timing. look at the goapr site a top tuner for VAG aka volkswagen audi group vehicles to see the real effects of proper tuning with higher octane. manufacturers tune conservatively for longer engine life hence the blown warranty due to higher power outputs that require many upgraded parts to handle higher power safely with longevity!!

My car is a turbo and designed to run on 87 octane. But I have a tune and it's set for 91 octane, at the time 92 was all I could get and they did not tune fro 92. Since then I have never done anything under the 92 octane. I should get a couple tanks of 91 just to see what happens. But I can get 93 octane cheaper.

So I have done other mods to increase the performance quite dramatically. The tune and mods add 50 hp or so. had to get abetter clutch as the OWE started to slip in 3rd gear when you hammered it.

The big change was gas mileage. it went up at least 4 mpg.

Here's the EPA average

[Linked Image]

Here's what I get after 100k on the engine, the last 42k of mileage tracking. Most of my driving is rural and a 50 mph peak. But the car generally gets a WOT run through a gear or two each outing. I did a timing chain replacement this spring and the mileage jumped up over 2 mpg.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
And manufactures are pressing for premium to replace 87 octane due to better mileage and pollution control.

The octane game: Auto industry lobbies for 95 as new regular

The auto industry is finally getting traction on its quest to make 95 RON octane gasoline -- basically the same grade as Europe's regular and the lowest grade of premium here -- the new regular in the United States.

In testimony Friday before the House Energy and Commerce Committee's environment subcommittee, Dan Nicholson, General Motors' vice president of global propulsion systems, said making 95 octane the new regular aligns the U.S. with Europe and is one of the most affordable ways to boost fuel economy and lower greenhouse gas emissions.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
It's interesting that someone would seek out the highest octane to get the best performance from their vehicle. For vehicles that can advance the timing to take advantage of the higher octane, this makes sense. But, what is " best performance"? I take it to mean greater acceleration. The other way to get greater acceleration is to nail the engine and move the shift points to 6,000 rpm. You can do this without having to buy a higher octane fuel.
laugh.gif

The RX350 was designed for premium gas, just because it can cope, by retarding the ignition, (thanks to technology) with lower octane level doesn't mean that it's good. I see that not to go below 87 as a warming not a recommendation, no such warning/recommendation is given for higher octane. Just saying
wink.gif

It's interesting that someone would seek out the highest octane to get the best performance from their vehicle. For vehicles that can advance the timing to take advantage of the higher octane, this makes sense. But, what is " best performance"? I take it to mean greater acceleration. The other way to get greater acceleration is to nail the engine and move the shift points to 6,000 rpm. You can do this without having to buy a higher octane fuel.
laugh.gif

Well - in most flex fuel vehicles, real E85 will result in the highest performance. Obviously higher octane rating, adding oxygen, and better cooling.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Originally Posted by Rolla07
More selection..supreme(premium) in canada is 91octane. Petro canada has 94 octane... just south in ny they have 87,89, and 93 (no 91). I dont think there is much difference. Granted you can equally argue about how many choices you guys have in grocery stores. Ie. Multiple brands of ketchup...much more selection than up here...i wouldnt complain about having more selection and more options. I put 87 in my cars and dont lose sleep. (OEM recommends 87 or higher)
Petro Canada does not have 94 octane, at least in Ontario. Sunoco used to have "Ultra 94" but they have been gone for years now. Highest in Toronto is 93 octane Shell.

PetroCan absolutely has 94 octane. It is all I use in my 1er. When PetroCan bought out Sunoco, they inherited the 94 octane fuel. Not sure what kind of legal deal it was, but that is where it came from, and they still sell it.

Originally Posted by Pelican
I can guarantee that Petro Canada has 94 octane, as that's what I use, it's only $0.03 per litre more than cents than 91.

It's location dependent. None of the Petro-Canadas in Saskatchewan have anything above 91. In fact, the only stations in Saskatchewan that offer a premium above 91 are the Husky/Mohawk ones.

Many of our stations in Alberta, Ontario and Quebec also offer 94 octane gas....

Does Canada list octane a RON or (R+M)/2. In the article cited above "The octane game: Auto industry lobbies for 95 as new regular" the 95 is RON which is equivalent to 91 in the US. Octane Conversion

Originally Posted by RayCJ

Does Canada list octane a RON or (R+M)/2. In the article cited above "The octane game: Auto industry lobbies for 95 as new regular" the 95 is RON which is equivalent to 91 in the US. Octane Conversion

Conversions are roughly equivalent For example, pure iso-octane is 100 octane RON, 100 octane MON, and of course that means (R+M)/2 is 100. Different fuel blends can have different spreads.

Even then it's kind of a blunt tool. The important thing is that the engine can detect when it's about to blow up and back off the timing.

There is a Sunoco near me (In Warminster) which has the three given grades for the area 87/89/93, plus their 100 octane unleaded (street legal) racing fuel at a separate pump, for ~$10.00/gallon.

Sadly, there is not ONE single E85 dispensing station within 50 miles of me (so that I can take advantage of a tune on an E30 blend of E85 and 93 for more power).
frown.gif

I came across something different at the Exxon in Eureka, Montana. It had 87, 89 and 91 plus 91 without ethanol.

Nice! Never seen a gas station like that before. I would definitely take the E0.

Originally Posted by Garak
It's location dependent. None of the Petro-Canadas in Saskatchewan have anything above 91. In fact, the only stations in Saskatchewan that offer a premium above 91 are the Husky/Mohawk ones.

Just an update for interest's sake here, I had heard that our Husky stations got rid of the premium above 91. I went and checked the truck stop today, and now the highest premium available is 91. So, other than having a 24 hour station, I'm not sure what the appeal is these days. Husky used to sell midgrade for regular prices. That's gone. They used to have a 93 or 94 octane fuel when no one else did. That's gone. They don't sell at a discount to any of the several Top Tier stations within a couple blocks of their location.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back