Suggestions Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking about changing my 99 Saturn SL over to Mobil 1 0-40. It currently is using Mobil 1 10-30. I have been using a 5k mile interval. Last winter I used 5-30. I would like to change to the Mobil 1 0-40 year round and go with a 6K mile change interval. Any thoughts?

Next-
2000 Silverado with a 5.3- Currently using Mobil 1 10-30 also with 5k intervals. Last winter I used Mobil 1 0-30. I would like to switch back to that due to some more start up noise that I am hearing with the 10-30. This last interval my change oil light came on at about 4800 miles. This was the first time that I has come on and yes I do reset it every oil change.

Napa Gold oil filters for both!!

Both burn/use about between 1/2 and 3/4 of a quart for the entire interval.

Thanks guys!!!

Why not 5w30 in the truck? 0w40 should be fine in the saturn (or the truck for that matter). Don't worry about the oil life monitor. It is set for conventional oil. Your use of synthetic makes the monitor kind of useless.

[ September 19, 2003, 07:31 PM: Message edited by: sbc350gearhead ]

You are right Al, I did forget about Delvac 1. I wonder how that would be in the Silverado with start up noise.

nhkid,

I think you plan of using M1 0W-40 all year round is sound. Your intervals are fine. I use it in both our cars with a 6,500 interval. No problems. Our temps range from 100+ in the summer to -15F in the winter.

Go for it.

DEWFPO

I think M1 0W40 for the Saturn and Delvac 1 5W40 for the Silverado are excellent choices, although you could use 0W40 in both, especially given you seem to want faster flow to your lifters in the Silverado.

[ September 21, 2003, 04:57 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back