Suggestions for garage wall/ceiling renovations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are needing to renovate the 2-car garage (ie. the wife agrees ), and the first thing on the list is the drywall ceiling and three walls (two interior and one exterior sided). So I am exploring the possibilities.

A coworker has a friend who installed an exterior siding material called "HardyPlank", with the lap and groove planking on the walls and the flat boarding on the ceiling. He said it looked great painted. Price and installation was twice the best quality sheetrock, but it will last forever, being made for outside conditions.

Another advise was exterior-quality luan plywood, which supposedly can be nailed over the existing old drywall without warping or moisture issues arising.

We want the garage walls to be good looking and durable, obviously, and then tackle the floor and cabinets, etc.

Any advice or suggestions on the best value would be appreciated. Thanx in advance.

PS> Home Depot has moisture/mildew resistant for $9.69 a 4'x8' sheet, while construction quality was half that at $4.99 a sheet.

What are the problems you are trying to solve? My garage has the worst sheetrock I have ever seen, largely because of a water leak upstairs which caused it to sag and split the tape seams.

I'm in the process of screwing it back up (the existing nails had worked loose), retaping seams, and will spray texture on the ceiling. It will look fine when finished and cost almost nothing. I can't imagine why you would install Hardiplank (cement siding) in the interior. If nothing else, that is an awful lot of weight to hang on the joists.

If you want to go over the old drywall, I'd put 1X2 battens up every 16" and put 4X8 sheets of white prefinished pegboard up. The whole wall.

Around here it needs to be fireproof, no OSB, though that was common where I grew up.

Isnt Hardy Board one of the brands of concrete board?
The stuff really is amaizing. Rot proof, bug proof, very tough, but extremely heavy.

Also, my folks and I used some of this stuff to rebuild part of the facade of their house. It will totally ruin a carbide circular saw blade in one 6' rip.
If you are doing the entire garage in this stuff buy one of their blades, I think they are like $80 each or greater, but you will only use one. The stuff is TOUGH.

Never heard of Hardyboard but heard of Wonderboard(concrete sheetrock esque material for bathrooms). Possibly the same thing, its expensive but durable. Would keep the garage cool during hot summers.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
If you want to go over the old drywall, I'd put 1X2 battens up every 16" and put 4X8 sheets of white prefinished pegboard up. The whole wall.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
Not knowing Texas, how humid is Sugar Land?

Outside of Houston, so we are in Humid Zone! And the pegboards sound like a great idea, never thought of that. Thanx!

Is this attached or detached? If attached I believe most zoning laws say you must have a firewall, eg appropriately rated sheetrock or that concrete stuff. What are you looking at now, studs and the rear face of the sheathing?

That Hardyplank sounds like the next generation of T-111 siding. Had a friend who lived in Alaska in the 1970s, said the place was all full of that junk... you could sheathe a structure in it and maybe paint it, but never need siding or anything else! Rot and bugs got to it in due time. Perfect for hastily constructed boomtowns. Could do better inside. Seems like it would be echoey though.

Might want to check out http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/ for some impressive ideas.

Would do hardiplank but behind a work bench (if applicable) use pegboard. My dad always did that, and now I do. There's nothing like it for keeping things straight. Of course, my dad is a neurotic so his garage is better organized than mine, but I can rest assured knowing that the ability to be clean is there.

seen where a home owner turned their attached garage into a patio . Screened off the garage door opening . Not that shabby looking .

Last edited:
I used plywood when we built the shop. It's durable, doesn't have moisture problems like drywall and painted white it really brightens the shop.

nothing like an oil change under a ceilng fan along with a pina colada . AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !
happy2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back