Garage shelves

OK, I'm looking at putting up some shelves in our garage for all my wife storage bins full of holiday decorations, ie Christmas, Halloween, Easter. I was wanting to do something clean looking and different.

The space I was going to use is the part above the garage door. I have a 10' ceiling so all that across the 16' door is a good choice. I want to come out 2' from the wall and I will be down 29" from the ceiling. I looked all over Youtube and Pinterest. What I was wanting to do and like the way it looks is use black pipe for the supports. Basically come out from the wall 2' at each stud and on the end do the same but do a loop. Basically, come out from the wall up high 2' then down the 29" to the bottom support. Kind of like this picture.

My question is how much weight do you think it would hold since it is going to be a side load on the pipe threads and not a vertical load?

For the shelf I was going to use 3/4" plywood. I could just rip the 4'x8' sheet in half.

Danya B. Industrial Pipe Wall Shelf
Purchase display and wall shelves on Houzz

How heavy are those bins going to be? That looks nice but it's going to be more expensive. Then you need to fasten the wood to the metal pipe.

I build something to hold stuff from the ceiling from my garage using 2*4 and plywood and it's probably holding up 200 lbs of weight. How long will each section be?

Right now The length would not be the entire length of the garage door but half of it so 8'. I'm thinking since my wife is able to move the storage bins out of the attic that the most weight on the entire shelf would not be more than 150 lbs. I was going to make the same shelf on the side walls where the garage door rails are since from there on up is wasted space as well but you can get to it when the door is down. That would be 5' long by 2' deep.

2x4 Cantilever support? Pretty strong when into studs and cheap. Nail to hold and then use long sheetrock screws to anchor. And you can do a continuous run with 3/4 sheetgoods. Lots of weight holding ability there.

Are you dead set on that setup? I would just use wood against the framing and screw it every 8-12 inches with some lag bolts. I would make a square/rectangle shape for each support. 2x4s would work, then put your plywood on that. You want that shelving supported from top of the ceiling and side wall. I think those metals screws for that pipe might not be long enough and the last thing you want is this stuff crashing down onto your vehicles.

I built a good ole fashioned loft in my garage. I bought a 4' x 8' x 1/2" piece of plywood and some 2 x 4's. Made the structure. It's amazing how much stuff I can put up there...

Just my $0.02

OK, I'm looking at putting up some shelves in our garage for all my wife storage bins full of holiday decorations, ie Christmas, Halloween, Easter. I was wanting to do something clean looking and different.

The space I was going to use is the part above the garage door. I have a 10' ceiling so all that across the 16' door is a good choice. I want to come out 2' from the wall and I will be down 29" from the ceiling. I looked all over Youtube and Pinterest. What I was wanting to do and like the way it looks is use black pipe for the supports. Basically come out from the wall 2' at each stud and on the end do the same but do a loop. Basically, come out from the wall up high 2' then down the 29" to the bottom support. Kind of like this picture.

My question is how much weight do you think it would hold since it is going to be a side load on the pipe threads and not a vertical load?

For the shelf I was going to use 3/4" plywood. I could just rip the 4'x8' sheet in half.

Danya B. Industrial Pipe Wall Shelf
Purchase display and wall shelves on Houzz
that is black iron pipe (galvanized would be cheaper at a lowes/HD store) and a cut down 2x10

I found that open shelves collect dust on everything and end up messy. I bought rolling cabinets from sam's club, stainless steel fronts. I can roll them out and sweep or hose the floor out. Also easier to wipe the cabinets down rather than everything on shelves.
IMG_20200105_145255490.jpg
IMG_20200105_203135683.jpg

Back