Suggestions for a quality fluid extractor ?

Following with interest. Any downsides to this other than initial costs?

They're constructed out of plastic so parts will eventually fail after 5-10 yrs depending on the environment in which it's stored. Another downside is that the tubes can collapse and permanently deform if the oil is too hot.

MityVac 7201 sounds like just the ticket. I’ll report back on
Easy peasey oil changes... Mr. Lexus is pretty thirsty; nearly 7 quarts!
1620757166242.jpg

1620757191768.jpg

They're constructed out of plastic so parts will eventually fail after 5-10 yrs depending on the environment in which it's stored. Another downside is that the tubes can collapse and permanently deform if the oil is too hot.

I've not heard of any deformed or collapsed tube due to the used oil being hot. My MityVac7201 is over 5 years old, always kept in garage, still looks great. But being plastic, I don't expect it'll last forever.

We seem to be all about saving money here, so here's my suggestion:

I have been using this model for about 3 years and it works fine. It has a small suction tube that fits into the dipstick tube on my Mercedes.
Made by Attwood. I got mine at Walmart for about $35.00.

I've not heard of any deformed or collapsed tube due to the used oil being hot. My MityVac7201 is over 5 years old, always kept in garage, still looks great. But being plastic, I don't expect it'll last forever.
Yes, but considering the amount of money you are saving by doing these changes yourself, the extractor will easily pay for itself within the first year.

Yes, but considering the amount of money you are saving by doing these changes yourself, the extractor will easily pay for itself within the first year.

It's not the money that I do the OC myself, it's the trust. I learned not to trust dealers and some shops in hard way, fluid changes should be done myself, it's the most important maintenance.

It's not the money that I do the OC myself, it's the trust. I learned not to trust dealers and some shops in hard way, fluid changes should be done myself, it's the most important maintenance.
As much as I hate to say it, I agree with you 100%. I've dealt with far too many mistakes on something as simple as an oil change.
Nobody cares about my cars as much as I do.

Happened on my topsider but hey someone asked about a negative so this was but one of two that I could think of. ;)

Window into Paradise, not even the steel shelves rust. How do you know when you are at the bottom of the pan? Lastly can it withstand taking gas out of gas tanks? Not that I would be out at night doing that. There is a little dust on the engine.
I use the dipstick as a guage for the hard plastic tube. Some car engines are better than others to get a good drain.
I have only used it for oil changes, power steering fluid services (insert it into the return line) and emptying brake fluid reservoirs.

The oil change thing is great; no mess. You flip a switch on the MityVac to expel the oil into a recycle container. So easy.
I used to think these things were stupid, they must leave too much oil, do an oil change the right way, etc.

I love my MityVac. I have trained my niece and one of her daughters to use it. They aren't ready yet, but will no longer be at the mercy of evil car places.... Ha!

Window into Paradise, not even the steel shelves rust. How do you know when you are at the bottom of the pan? Lastly can it withstand taking gas out of gas tanks? Not that I would be out at night doing that. There is a little dust on the engine.
Window into Paradise? what are you talking about?

As for the bottom of the pan, you'll know because the plastic hose will stop...you won't be able to insert it any further.

Window into Paradise? what are you talking about?

As for the bottom of the pan, you'll know because the plastic hose will stop...you won't be able to insert it any further.
Actually, sometimes the hose will hit the pan and continue along the curvature of the pan. Sometimes you hit something before proper level. With some engines you gotta twist, poke and fish around. This is why I use the dipstick as an approximate guage.

On the GS with the Lexus V6, it is just as you said. It simply stops and you are in business. This is the easiest engine I have used the MityVac on.
All good.

Could draw a line on the plastic tube with a black permanent marker at the spot where the top of the dipstick is for future O.C.s'. If used for 2 or more vehicles , do another line for each one . I plan to do this for next O.C..

If you're using Mityvac 7201 or alike solely for extracting, no need to clean.
Since Mityvac 7201 is also a dispenser, I use it for filling transfer case & differential fluid. I disassemble (only six screws to undo) the unit and clean with brake clean. It's much easier than pumping 3 qts underneath with hand pump, but it's just me.

Got a new Mityvac 7400, hand pump, last week, ($60), used it on MB today. Gave it a bunch of pumps to get going and left it alone for several min, and a few more as it went along. No real effort involved, no oil spilled anywhere. Took longer putting 7 qts fresh in than getting old out. Love it!

I thought most MBs have oil capacity of 8.5 qts, which was my old ML320. I had to stop midway to empty the Mityvac 7201(8qt capacity) and resume drain.

Last edited:
Back