Suggestions for a 5W-30 VW 507 00

Hi all.

I own a '2018 VW Tiguan Allspace 2.0 BiTDi 240HP DSG7, bought slightly used (9 months old/10.000 Km's).

Since day 1, the oil used in the engine was Castrol Edge Professional III 5W-30 VW 507 00, as VW recommends Castrol.

The first oil change took place on 18.000 Km's, with no oil consumption noticed and the oil used was the above mentioned Castrol again.

I decided to change the engine oil every year, so in the second year of ownership (2020) I changed the engine oil again, putting in Castrol again.

The next engine oil change is scheduled for the following September, so I started reading about other VW 507 00 oils to be used as an alternative option to the Castrol.

Bear in mind that in between engine oil changes (every 1 year), the mileage driven is between 12-16.000 Km's.

A few days ago, I came across the specs of another VW 507 00 engine oil, the Liqui Moly Top Tec 4200 5W-30. When I read them, I noticed that it were better - or at least they looked like better - in my opinion.

So, I am posting them down, for comparison reasons:

Castrol Edge Professional III 5W-30 VW 507 00
Pour Point: -39 °C
Flash Point: 196 °C
Density 851 kg/m³ (0.851 g/cm³) at 15°C
Viskosity Index: 173
Viscosity: Kinematic: 66 mm2/s (66 cSt) at 40°C // 11,6 mm2/s (12 cSt) at 100°C
TBN: 6 mg KOH/gr
---------------------------------------------------------

Liqui Moly Top Tech 4200 5W-30
Pour Point: -42 °C
Flash Point: 232 °C
Density 855 kg/m³ (0.855 g/cm³) at 15°C
Viskosity Index: 173
Viscosity: Kinematic: 70 mm2/s (70 cSt) at 40°C // 12,2 mm2/s (12,2 cSt) at 100°C
TBN: 8,5 mg KOH/gr

Now, if you lived in an area where the average annual temperature is between (-10 C in winter and +40 C in summer), which one of the 2 above mentioned engine oil would you prefer to use?

Which one will give the best protection to the engine?

Any reviews for the Liqui Moly Top Tec 4200 5W-30 by users of it?

Is it worth the chance from Castrol to Liqui Moly, or should I stick with what VW recommends?

Thank you in advance guys.

What “chance” are you taking on those oils? Do both hold a required approval for your engine? If so then there’s no chance involved at all, that’s the point of a manufacturer approval.

Also in your climate any winter rating would be acceptable.

There are many VW/Audi approved 504.00/507.00 oils. The Castrol is good oil. Liqui-Moly makes an oil very similar to the Castrol Professional LL III. Mobil 1 ESP in 0W30 and 5W30 are others. Genuine VW/Audi oil is made by Exxon Mobil now. Motul makes them. Total makes them.
Here is the Liqui-Moly that has the same specifications as the Castrol Professional LL III.

There are many VW/Audi approved 504.00/507.00 oils. The Castrol is good oil. Liqui-Moly makes an oil very similar to the Castrol Professional LL III. Mobil 1 ESP in 0W30 and 5W30 are others. Genuine VW/Audi oil is made by Exxon Mobil now. Motul makes them. Total makes them.
Here is the Liqui-Moly that has the same specifications as the Castrol Professional LL III.
Not on all markets. VW/Audi use different suppliers for different markets. In Russia it is Lukoil.

IMO, Liqui Moly is in the mediocre category. There is more marketing there than anything else.
My take:
Mobil1 ESP 5W30
Motul 5W30 X-Clean+ (make sure it is PLUS).
Mobil1 ESP 0W30

What “chance” are you taking on those oils? Do both hold a required approval for your engine? If so then there’s no chance involved at all, that’s the point of a manufacturer approval.

Also in your climate any winter rating would be acceptable.

I didn't understand the first question of your post. Furthermore, yes, both oil meet the approval for my engine. My thought on changing to Liqui Moly, was because of the higher flash point - density - viscosity and TBN, for such a hot climate as in my country (Greece).

If they both meet the specs, choose the one that will be easier to obtain on a regular basis.

Well, both oils are easy to be found in the market, but in my country a lot of fake Castrol oil is sold around the market, but no Liqui Moly was found fake so far (not preferable by the fake makers probably). That is another reason to change to LM, for the peace of mind.

I know, Motul and M1 are also sold here, but I have a font for the LM. What do you mean by the phrase "... very similar to the Castrol...."? Equal, better or worse, according to the data sheet?

IMO, Liqui Moly is in the mediocre category. There is more marketing there than anything else.
My take:
Mobil1 ESP 5W30
Mobil1 ESP 0W30

So, LM is a mediocre oil for you, with Mobil and Motul better ones.

Here are the specs for the Motul 5W-30 X-clean+ and the Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30:

Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30
Pour Point: -45 °C
Flash Point: 254 °C
Density 850 kg/m³ (0.85 g/cm³) at 15°C
Viskosity Index: 164
Viscosity: Kinematic: 72.8 mm2/s (72.8 cSt) at 40°C // 12.1 mm2/s (12.1 cSt) at 100°C
TBN: 8 mg KOH/gr
--------------------------------------------------------------
Motul 8100 X-clean+ 5W-30
Pour Point: -36 °C
Flash Point: 226 °C
Density 850 kg/m³ (0.850 g/cm³) at 20°C
Viskosity Index: 167
Viscosity: Kinematic: 69,2 mm2/s at 40°C // 11,8 mm2/s at 100°C
TBN: 6,7 mg KOH/gr

Flash point has next to zero relevance to engine operation. It is a measure of the temperature where a substance will burst into flame in the presence of an ignition source. It is primarily used to inform first responders (firefighters) of a materials hazards.

And all that stuff you post and call them "specs" are not specs but are material characterization listings, many of which are typical rather than specific to any particular lot. The "specs" are the approvals, licenses and specifications the oil carries. These are what conclusively demonstrate the oil's real-world performance, not those tables of values. Claiming one approved oil is "better" than another using those typical value sheets is a fool's errand.

Thank you for your reply, I had the feeling that the figures written in the data sheet of each oil could be used in a comparison way.

So, as long as the oil meets the factory requirements, which in this case is VW 507 00, it is OK.

Thank you for your reply, I had the feeling that the figures written in the data sheet of each oil could be used in a comparison way.

So, as long as the oil meets the factory requirements, which in this case is VW 507 00, it is OK.
Yes, as long as oil is approved you are good. Approval is minimum requirement.
Mobil1 and Motul I mentioned are both having Esters and very low Noack.
Motul has fairly low KV100 but very strong HTHS at 3.6. That indicates really good package.
when looking at flash point and other parameters look methodology being utilized. Some manufacturers use different methods and cannot be compared.

Which one will give the best protection to the engine?

Any reviews for the Liqui Moly Top Tec 4200 5W-30 by users of it?

Is it worth the chance from Castrol to Liqui Moly, or should I stick with what VW recommends?

Thank you in advance guys.

I used LM Top Tec 4200 for years, even purchased a 20L jug of it once. It never would hold up for my 10K miles interval without losing alkalinity, the TBN would be < 1.0 at 10k Miles and around 2.0 at 8K miles. I lowered my interval to 7.5- 8K miles as a result of the poor performance. The analysis had high wear metals as well. My car never had the Dieselgate updated remap from VW so EGR Duty Cycle was low and it still did not hold up.

My UOAs were posted on here, you should be able to find them by searching.

This was in a 2009 Jetta TDI 6MT with the CBEA engine code. I sold it back to VW and it was crushed, and the left-over oil was given away. I know there is a cult-like following from Liqui-Moly fans, some of it is astroturfing and others truly believe in the advertising and bash anyone who has a negative perception of their product. I would never recommend TT 4200 to anyone based on my experience.

I've seen some great results from the Mobil 1 ESP formula 5w30, low wear numbers and TBN retention. That would be my recommendation or maybe something from Ravenol as they also make good oils

My take:
Mobil1 ESP 5W30
Mobil1 ESP 0W30
(y)
Ravenol VMP 5W-30 VW 504 00/507 00 is also very good oil.

Yes, as long as oil is approved you are good. Approval is minimum requirement.
Mobil1 and Motul I mentioned are both having Esters and very low Noack.
Motul has fairly low KV100 but very strong HTHS at 3.6. That indicates really good package.
when looking at flash point and other parameters look methodology being utilized. Some manufacturers use different methods and cannot be compared.
OK, I see, thank you.

I used LM Top Tec 4200 for years, even purchased a 20L jug of it once. It never would hold up for my 10K miles interval without losing alkalinity, the TBN would be < 1.0 at 10k Miles and around 2.0 at 8K miles. I lowered my interval to 7.5- 8K miles as a result of the poor performance. The analysis had high wear metals as well. My car never had the Dieselgate updated remap from VW so EGR Duty Cycle was low and it still did not hold up.

My UOAs were posted on here, you should be able to find them by searching.

This was in a 2009 Jetta TDI 6MT with the CBEA engine code. I sold it back to VW and it was crushed, and the left-over oil was given away. I know there is a cult-like following from Liqui-Moly fans, some of it is astroturfing and others truly believe in the advertising and bash anyone who has a negative perception of their product. I would never recommend TT 4200 to anyone based on my experience.

I've seen some great results from the Mobil 1 ESP formula 5w30, low wear numbers and TBN retention. That would be my recommendation or maybe something from Ravenol as they also make good oils
Wow, that is a serious negative experience on this specific oil, thank you very much for sharing it with me.

I surely might have been tricked by the figures given in the Data Sheet of it, in straight comparison with other oils.

So, your negative experience might be the end of my thinking using this.

Flash point has next to zero relevance to engine operation. It is a measure of the temperature where a substance will burst into flame in the presence of an ignition source. It is primarily used to inform first responders (firefighters) of a materials hazards.

And all that stuff you post and call them "specs" are not specs but are material characterization listings, many of which are typical rather than specific to any particular lot. The "specs" are the approvals, licenses and specifications the oil carries. These are what conclusively demonstrate the oil's real-world performance, not those tables of values. Claiming one approved oil is "better" than another using those typical value sheets is a fool's errand.
Flash point is very important...for the very reason your example states. Low flash point oils vaporize more quickly...leading to deposits and faster oil consumption.

Back