suggestions for 44 mag lever action and Pistol

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont currently own a 44mag, but would like to get a lever action and a pistol again (basicaly to share shell's) I will deer hunt with it, pistol just a backup. I like the Ruger (cowboy style) redhawk/blackhawks ect, i was eyeballing a buitfull Marlin 44 lever action at the shop recently. But frankly i have no experience with lever action. I will most likey put a scope on the rifle. Im open to suggestions. my father keeps after me to just buy a TC. but unfortunately i dont like the single shot (like my muzzle loader) aspect of this.. just looking for input opinions

Marlin makes a great lever-gun! If you are going to shoot cast bullets make sure to get a newer one that has Ballard-type rifling. With the micro groove rifling they have used in the past you can (will) get severe leading problems. Ruger pistols are build as tough as they come. I don't think you can go wrong with either of them.

Marlin makes a good lever gun for sure. I have also heard good things about the Puma and Rossi lever guns which are copies of the Winchester 92.

As for a 44 mag cowboy gun the Rugers are hard to beat. When I went to get a cowboy wheelgun I decided to go a little different and bought a Uberti made and Taylor and Co 1872 Colt Open Top with the Brass grip. It shoots 38 Special and 38 Long Colt. Fun gun indeed.

Shop around for a Browning lever in .44Mag. Mine shoots really nice.

Pistol in .44Mag? Desert Eagle/Auto Mag - choices are limited. If you want a revolver, there are several options. SA or DA?

I like .44 Mag in handguns, but they are a bit much for plinking. Especially with the hotter rounds.

Originally Posted By: Blaze
Dont forget the colt .45 round, especially if you reload your own. I really like Marlin's 1894 Cowboy!!

I have always been a fan of a 357/38 special pistol and rifle combo. Cheaper than 45 or 44 guns and the 357 loaded hot in a rifle is good enough for deer sized targets.

If you're considering a Marlin, try to find one made prior to the Freedom Group buy-out and closure of the North Haven plant (~2007-08).

Marlin quality post buy-out has gotten bad enough to where all lever gun production was suspended earlier this year with no restart date.
cry.gif

A Connecticut-built Marlin 1894CB in 44Mag are beautiful rifles.

From what I understand it was Cerberus Capital Management that bought Marlin. They also own Bushmaster, Remington, and a few other arms makers.

I have a Marlin 45-70 lever gun, but 45-70 would be a real handful in a hand gun. I think Magnum Research does make a 45-70 revolver.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
From what I understand it was Cerberus Capital Management that bought Marlin. They also own Bushmaster, Remington, and a few other arms makers.

Sorry for going
32.gif

You are correct. The Freedom Group is part of Cerberus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerberus_Capital_Management

`"Firearms — Acquired Bushmaster Firearms, Inc., from Windham, Maine native **** Dyke for an undisclosed sum in April 2006, and purchased Remington Arms in April 2007. Under Cerberus direction, Bushmaster Firearms acquired Cobb Manufacturing, a well-respected manufacturer of large-caliber tactical rifles in August 2007. Cerberus also acquired DPMS Panther Arms December 14, 2007. Remington Arms acquired Marlin Firearms in January 2008. In October 2009, Remington Military products acquired silencer manufacturer Advanced Armament Corporation. These companies were combined into the Freedom Group."

FWIW, lots of info from Marlin fans and former Marlin factory workers here. Some of the stuff that has come out of Ilion, NY is unbelievable:

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/marlin-rant-forum/

I will say one thing, even the old Marlins were not a precise machine. I restored a 70's beat to heck Marlin 39A 22 lever gun for a family friend and none of the factory Marlin parts fit. I had to file and fit everything from the barrel band, the retaining pin hole for the barrel band, and even dress screws to make them fit. But when it was done it was smooth as butter. Just took about 80 hours to refinish the wood, metal, and fit the parts to make it operate.

Dont forget the colt .45 round, especially if you reload your own. I really like Marlin's 1894 Cowboy!!

I have always been a fan of a 357/38 special pistol and rifle combo. Cheaper than 45 or 44 guns and the 357 loaded hot in a rifle is good enough for deer sized targets.

it has the velocity, just not a fan of the knock down. .357 is legal to hunt with and i own a .357 pistol now, i think i would just prefer the stopping power of the .44

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1

it has the velocity, just not a fan of the knock down. .357 is legal to hunt with and i own a .357 pistol now, i think i would just prefer the stopping power of the .44

That is a valid point. Depends how far you are shooting. I have seen a guy here take a deer with a 40 S&W which is legal here. I have both a 357 and 44 wheelgun myself. Just find the 357 more practical in a dense wooded area.

If you want a lever action gun, look at a Henry. It holds 10 rounds of .44mag, and would pair well with the Ruger. If you'd like to stay with Ruger (and that's not a bad idea), they have a 5-shot bolt action 77/44. I have a Marlin .357, and I am happy with it. It's called a Remlin by the faithful, but aside from many sharp parts in the lever mechanism (that I smoothed over), and absolutely wretched sights; it's a good gun for the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back