Just got a Marlin 795

Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on the advice of the members, I just picked up a new Marlin 795 semi-auto with a nickel plated 10 round magazine.

I paid $150 for it, and it came with an action cable lock and one spare mag.

I noticed that Ruger 10/22s are now going for $400 up here in Montreal now.

I own two, and never paid that. And mine have Aluminum trigger guards and barrel band.

I figured for the price of a pair of shoes for the Marlin, how can you go wrong.

I plan on using it as a drag everywhere firearm. Not to focus on shooting it that much, just to have to rely on when out hiking in the bush, and maybe spot a rabbit to have for lunch if you stumble into one.

Well, my first impressions are very good. Seems very solid for the price. I plan on keeping the iron sights on it and not scoping it. I am tired of lugging around a small carbine that you double it's size by putting a scope on it.

What I love about it head and tails over the Ruger 10/22 is the Marlin has very modern fire controls all accessible with your index finger.

It has last round bolt stop, which I find very convenient and cool. You insert a fresh mag and hit the bolt release with your index and you are good to go, no need to rack the slide. It is also safer as the gun clears itself for inspection when the mag runs dry.

The mags are very minimalist, so you can have 4 or 5 preloaded in a coat pocket and makes this gun a far better trainer for realistic reloads of military arms if you are into that sort of thing. Just note the mags don't drop free when the mag release button is pushed, they still have to be pulled out.

The gun has a heavy trigger... Must be at least 8 lbs. pull minimum but with no creep at all. It breaks like a glass rod, so I can still see that you can get used to it.

So I won't hold the trigger against it.

But features, controls, price... For $150.

If this thing doesn't jam much and I can at least hit a tin can at 100 yards with the open sights, I'd have to say this is a better gun than the 10/22 for the price.

Funny thing though, this gun is a Remington if that appeals to you. So it really is a decent cheap semi-auto.

And for people who mod a 10/22 for that military tactical feel... Well, the Marlin feels more military by far. And you don't have to struggle for bolt hold opens and releases with the Marlin.

So the Marlin wins in "tactical feel" right out of the box.

But I am not looking for that much anymore, I am looking for a decent little pack gun.

I'll take it out and post my shooting impressions in the next little while. So far, so good.

Thanks for the review. I have a Ruger 22/45 Lite pistol and have wanted to get a Ruger 10/22 rifle to go along with it. Have never looked at the Marlin 795, but it looks like a great alternative for an excellent price. I will look more into this rifle.

You got a great rifle. I've had mine for around four years and after 5k rounds is still going strong. Although I own both the 10/22 and 795 (along with a G/Field 60 and Mossberg 715T), more often than not I'll (and the grandkids too!) grab the 795 to plink with.

I have the Marlin Model 7000 which is the 795 with a bull barrel and Hogue stock. My dad has the standard 795. We also have Model 60s both Glenfield and Marlin, and I even have a Marlin M989M2. All are based on the same action. They are great firearms that have been very trouble free and easy to work on.
One minor point: Remington does not own Marlin. Remington and Marlin are a part of Freedom Group which is owned by Cerberus Capital Management.

From what I have read, Marlins are now being made by Remington.

Marlin laid off all of it's workers, they went belly up before they were purchased.

So from what I gather, if you work at a Remington plant, Marlins are being shipped out of your doors now, made by Remington employees and management.

http://www.realguns.com/articles/425.htm

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/marlin...king-right.html

Apparently, they had some quality issues at Remington when they first started making Marlins.

Maybe some Marlin employees got picked up by Remington.

So if you are looking to stock up on a cheap sleeper gun as people on this site have said, now is the time.

I will only know what kind of a firearm the 795 is after running a brick of ammo through it.

Just oiled it up with Hoppes gun oil yesterday, and will run a patch through the bore.

Originally Posted By: Fleetmon
Although I own both the 10/22 and 795...

Would you be so kind as to provide a review of both and how they compare? I'm sure each has its pros and cons.

Thanks.

To me, the Ruger feels "stronger" probably due to the thicker wood stock (I'm not much of a plastic fan) but I don't care for the magazine release and actually installed an extended release for ease of use. The rotary magazine is very easy to load though and we also have the mag-tripler which, when used, eliminates the need for the extended release although it is much simpler to use (pulling a lever instead of pushing a panel). The bolt hold-open release can be a bit of a challenge too with thick fingers.

The Marlin's trigger is, IMO, a little smoother and the barrel is a touch heavier. The magazines are fairly easy to load but tough for small fingers to get the last one or two rounds in....I'll usually load up a few mags in advance for the younger shooters.

The Ruger has many aftermarket accessories available for it if one were to lean towards militarizing/customizing (I have the standard barrel on mine, not the A/M heavy) it but that's not my style...I rather like it as is. The only thing I may purchase for the Marlin in the future may be a laminated wood stock for a better "feel".

My range is less than fifty yards so accuracy is about the same with both although I shoot the Marlin a little better since the LOP of just a touch longer. The Marlin also cycles a bit faster.

When it comes to price, the Marlin wins hands down.....I could purchase the Marlin and several buckets of ammo (yes, several!) for the price of the 10/22 alone.

Last edited:
My opinion of the Ruger 10/22 is it is reliable, but the few simple controls it has are cumbersome to use.

The Rotary Magazine is genius though.

Also, there are no features on the 10/22 other than the safety is in front of the trigger which I find more natural than behind the trigger 870 style.

The bolt hold open feature is annoying to use to clear a jam, the release of the bolt is a 2 handed operation, even more annoying.

The included sights on the 10/22 have the bullhorn so far away from your eye you need to scope the thing if you don't have young eyes.

The vibrational harmonics when you are shooting the 10/22 are very rigid. I have lost a good Bushnell scope to one, it cracked the reticle.

I have a Stainless Synthetic 10/22 and a Butler Creek stocked Stainless one as well.

The 10/22 works well, but now it is just too overpriced for what you get.

I've had a Ruger 10/22 for years now, bought it new circa early/mid 1990's. Stainless, laminated carbine stock, & I have a few goodies for it incl a BC folding stock. The factory stock looks trim, but is so thick side-to-side that it's always felt clubby to me. I've never grown to like it & have shot it very little in over 10 yrs. I should probably sell it & get something like- oh, I dunno- maybe a Marlin 795! I have a couple of small scopes that wouldn't overwhelm it size-wise, or maybe a Williams Guide peep sight.

BTW, Falken- enjoy your new .22 Marlin. Looks like a near-perfect knock-about rifle.
thumbsup2.gif

*In 1967 I owned one of its ancestors(either the model 989 or 999, mine had the stubby tubular magazine). Tip- don't try to dismantle all those tiny little parts & springs internally- spray it out with brake or carb cleaner, let dry, then a little dry-lube spray. Repeat every year or three. At least that's my advice. Wish we'd had those sprays back then!

Last edited:
Just took out the Marlin 795 today, I used older boxes of Winchester Wildcat .22LR HV and it worked great.

Stovepipe jam on the very first shot, after that I ran a box of Wildcats through it with not one other jam after that first shot.

The open sights are surprisingly good, I won't need to scope this gun at all.

On the second click for elevation it shoots great for anything under 40 yards.

So far I give this gun 5 stars on 5.

Quality is excellent and the slender feel inspires "can hit anything" shooting confidence.

Off hand, I can get groups under an inch with ease at 20 yards... Perfect for headshots on rabbits.

This is a really great, cheap .22 rifle.

I went to Gander Mountain yesterday morning looking to buy a Ruger 10/22 or Marlin Model 60 with wooden stock. After waiting for ~1hr my ticket was called and the guy behind the counter said they were sold out of both models. In that hour span I saw about 4 pistols, a shotgun and 3 rifles sold. It was packed.

They did have full shelves of ammunition for everything but there was no 9mm or .22LR anywhere. I picked up a few boxes of 12gauge shells.

I remember walking into this type of store on Saturday mornings and there maybe being one or two people buying a gun at the counter. Now there are lines. Things have definitely changed.

welcome to the world of Democratic President who blames guns rather than mental problems...buy now before you can't anymore

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
welcome to the world of Democratic President who blames guns rather than mental problems...buy now before you can't anymore

Hyperbole much?

Originally Posted By: Trajan
Originally Posted By: dwcopple

Hyperbole much?
No, I was being literal.

Congradulations on your Marlin ! I myself use the 955SS and Love it ! i bench shoot mine alot and have a 4x12x40 on top of it and a bipod under it. Its N A S T Y... out to 100 yrds its once of the most accurate firearms i own.. On the down side if you run junk 22's through mine it does tend to jam up some, on the plus side i only run CCI'S and Remington's and have had very few troubles to speak of.. thousands of rounds and alot of fun for not much cash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back