44 Magnum Lever Action...... Pistol :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally hunted one of these puppies down. Couldn't find anyone local who could get one, and even out of state dealers, couldn't either. Midwest Gun Exchange in Mishawaka, for some reason had 6 of them.. This one is chambered in 44 magnum. Rossi Ranch Hand. Lever Action Pistol. 6+1. 12" barrel. A tad under 24 OAL.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Some Video:

Here's the Ranch Hand with the Hornady 300 XTP round. As you can see, this gun shoots kinda high at short range so I missed the clay:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkQd-GAX9Ag
Here's take 2 and I still missed the first clay block
smile.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJV0ISGQzPY
Here's me messing around with the Ranch Hand and I eventually did hit the clay with it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4cuSuscPbo

Overall impressed. Kinda of a niche gun with not a lot of practical use, but it's fun. The loading port will need some smithing (need to file some sharp edges down), but it ran 100% yesterday. 75 rounds no trouble

Last edited:
Around $560 after transfer (bought it out of state), and shipping.. Puma makes one that's $1200+ and I believe JB customs also does for $1500.

This is one I can't explain. I can usually come up with a use for any gun, even if I have to reach. But try as I might, I see no practical use for one of these- none, zero, zip, nada- no matter how hard I try.
Bigger than a revolver while holding no more ammo.
Not cheap or easy to find.

But I want one so bad.

Must be the "Wanted: Dead or Alive" DVD set I bought.
Or the "Firefly" series.

Originally Posted By: BarryinIN
This is one I can't explain. I can usually come up with a use for any gun, even if I have to reach. But try as I might, I see no practical use for one of these- none, zero, zip, nada- no matter how hard I try.
Bigger than a revolver while holding no more ammo.
Not cheap or easy to find.

But I want one so bad.

Must be the "Wanted: Dead or Alive" DVD set I bought.
Or the "Firefly" series.

Woody used one in ZombieLand too.

Built on a pistol receiver, and the "stock" is more or less the grip. There's no way to shoulder it. Well I mean you can, but it's very very akward, and it kicks
smile.gif

It's fun and definately $$$. 32.97 for a box of 50
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Buffman
Built on a pistol receiver, and the "stock" is more or less the grip. There's no way to shoulder it. Well I mean you can, but it's very very akward, and it kicks
smile.gif

smile.gif

Pistol? No I can assure you the receiver is a rifle. M1892 by the looks of it. You bet it kicks, but try some 44 special. You might find either for a tad less than $30/box. Compare that to 50 of any true rifle cartridge.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: Buffman
smile.gif

smile.gif

Pistol? No I can assure you the receiver is a rifle. M1892 by the looks of it. You bet it kicks, but try some 44 special. You might find either for a tad less than $30/box. Compare that to 50 of any true rifle cartridge.

The Ranch Hand uses an 1892 action. However the receiver was built for use as a pistol, not for a rifle. The "stock" is not meant to be used as a stock, and more or less as the grip. Therefore federally the Rossi Ranch Hand is a pistol and is sold as a pistol, and is not considered an SBR

I haven't found any 44 special thats considerably less than 44 magnum, so to me there's no point in shooting the lesser of the two for the small savings (not like .38 special cost vs .357 cost). Don't mind the $30/box
smile.gif
definately better than $70 a box for 20 rounds of .338 RUM, or $20/20 for .30-06 etc.

Last edited:
Quote:
Receiver 10. (Military / Firearms, Gunnery, Ordnance & Artillery) the metallic frame situated behind the breech of a gun to guide the round into the chamber

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/receiver
Here's an ATF ruling:

http://www.atf.gov/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-rulings/atf-ruling-2008-1.pdf

It's rifle receiver. But I understand by federal rulings why it would be called a pistol. Lack of butt stock for sure.

Also, I was referring to kick when I brought up 44 special. Much funner plinking.

Pablo, Not trying to argue with you or any form of disagreement, but for all purposes regardless of the fact the the receiver and action are one and the same of an 1892 rifle, this particular receiver on the ranch hands was manufactured to be built as a pistol and nothing else. Therefore it is a pistol and is sold as a pistol, and is not considered a SBR in anyway. If the later was true, and it was a rifle receiver, then a $200 NFA tax stamp would be needed to own this, as it would be a short barreled rifle.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Yeah I am not arguing, just learning. I’m certainly not an ATF lawyer! I can see how they call it a handgun no dispute about that – more just saying what my wording is for gun parts. My definition of “receiver” is in line with what I posted. That’s all.

To me, your gun is in a different way like the “Mini Draco” import I posted about earlier. Just fun to shoot – and in combo with the caliber of .44, how could that be a bad thing? Have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back