Suggestions for 2005 Mazda 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

D$

I have a 2005 Mazda 3 with the 2.3L engine. If you dont already know, it uses the cartridge type oil filter. The only filter I can find to fit my car is either the mazda filter or a wix(57203 - this is what I have been using). I am thinking about running the wix filter with mobil 1 synthetic oil. I was just wondering how long my OCI will be? And, is this even a good idea or is the filter not good enough to handle a longer OCI? Do you have any other suggestions for me? I am open to anything. Thanks!

D$,

I also have an '05 Mazda3 with the 2.3L I4 engine. I changed the cartridge filter setup to a spin-on filter setup so that I could have more choices when it came to oil filters. Plus, generally the spin-on oil filters are cheaper than what a cartridge filter costs. If you haven't heard of doing this change, it's very simple. If you can change your oil, you can do this. Go to this website:

http://www.mazda6tech.com/articles/how-to/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=47&Itemid=1

That actually talks about the spin-on conversion for the Mazda6i but it uses the same 2.3L I4 engine. I think for the parts it's around $50.

Since doing the conversion, I've been using WIX filters (p/n: 1348).

As far as oil and OCI is concerned, while you're under warranty I'd stick with the 5K OCI that is outlined in the manual. I prefer Motorcraft 5w20 synthetic blend since that is what comes from the factory in this car. It also has proven to be a great oil through numerous UOA's on this website. Plus, you can get it for a great price at Wally World in 5qt. jugs.

Just a note about the WIX filters. Have no worries with running a WIX filter for your OCI. I run an WIX filter on my Grand Am for 10K.

If you have any other questions, let me know.

Also, you might want to check out the Mazda3 board for other info about our cars: http://www.mazda3forums.com/

Purolator also makes oil filters for the Mazda3, I have seen them at Discount Auto Parts. For the 2.0L engine it is 10241. For the 2.3L engine it is 15505

offtopic.gif
Why did Mazda make it so difficult to change the oil filter from the bottom of the engine??
dunno.gif
They should have designed the canister housing the way BMW has it....or they should of stayed with the regular type of oil filter.

The placement of the oil filter is fine. It's located in front of the engine, at the very bottom. And it stands straight up/down. I have no idea why they decided to use the cartridge type of filter. Personally, I think they'd see more "problems" from this setup b/c people will take it places like Iffy Lube, etc. and they will either screw it up or just not be able to change it.

By the way, D$, I forgot to mention that if you do the spin-on conversion for your car, you'll use the same filter as the Mazda3i 2.0L I4. It says that on the tech page I listed but I wanted to make sure you knew.

D$, what type of driving and how does it compare to the owners manual recommendations?

In my 6i, I use the OEM filter/o-rings with Mobil1 5w20. The car gets 2 oil changes a year(every 3.5K) all city driving miles.

If you have more highway driving, I don't see why you can't "max-out" the OCI with any brand of filter using a full synthetic.

Most of my driving is highway. I have had the car for about 8 months and already have close to 17k on it. Im probably gonna end up right around about 24k a year, with I would say 80% highway and 20% city. Thanks!

Since you drive highway so much, you could definitely do an extended OCI. However, since you are still under warranty, it'll be up to you to decide if you want to stick with Mazda's OCI's to make sure you are covered under that warranty.

I'll stick with my original suggestion. Go with Motorcraft 5w20 syn. blend. Run it for 7500 miles which falls under the "normal service" interval according to the manual. When you dump it, do a UOA just to make sure everything looks good.

After you're out of your warranty period, then you can do a switch to full synthetic and extend your OCI even farther to like 10K or something.

I have a '03 Mazda6i with the 2.3L and I'm using the L15505 with Motorcraft 5W20 oil. I considered converting the cartridge filter to the spin on style, but it's my opinion, if I had a warranty claim that was oil related, Mazda would refuse the claim.

Thanks everybody for the response. I think im going to stick with the current cartridge type filter and run a syn. blend for now. I will be using a Wix filter and probably a 4-4.5k OCI, until the warranty is up.

Sounds like a good plan. You going with Motorcraft syn. blend?

You might want to get a UOA w/TBN at some point just to see how things look after your run.

Im not sure what blend I will go with. Does anybody have any suggestions? Im really not even sure what is out there. I have used the Castrol blend in the past. Is this a good oil to use or not? Im open to anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back