Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

1. I have Subaru Impreza WRX 2004
2. My owner manual says:

API: SL, SJ or SH. Service SL SAE 5w-30
CCMS : G4 or G5;
ACEA : A1, A2 or A3;

3. I live in Lithuania, Eastern Europe. Temps could reach -30 C in Winter and ~ +35 C in Summer.

My manual recommends 5w30 for -30 - 40;

4. My driving style is up to 4k rpm daily. And up to 7k rpm once or twice a week for short periods.

5. My daily drive is about 10 km each day and 400 km on weekend.

6. Right after i bought a car @70 000 km i changed oil to Neste City Pro 5w40. Driven with it for about 1500 kms then had a track day on ice (6k-7k) for half an hour and got spun rod bearings. After the engine was repaired i put noname oil for 500 kms and the changed to Castrol Edge 5w30. Now, after 7500 km i want to change the oil.

Maybe 5w30 is too thin for me? What oil you could suggest? I change the oil 2-3 times a year so it could be different for winter and summer seasons. I am not having track days periodically, but there are 3 times in a year when i have and want to be sure that the engine is safe.

What's your city/highway ratio?

Does this change in the winter - are there more short trips and cold starts?

Would you be willing to send a sample out for analysis and extend your drain intervals appropriately, or are you pretty set on how long you're willing to run ANY oil?

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
What's your city/highway ratio?

Let's say it is 1(city):4(highway)

Does this change in the winter - are there more short trips and cold starts?

Maybe I have more highway in summer time. 1(city):6(highway)

Would you be willing to send a sample out for analysis and extend your drain intervals appropriately, or are you pretty set on how long you're willing to run ANY oil?

It is ok for me to run 7500 km before i change the oil (not looking for special economy here). I have no ability to send a sample in my country, because as i know we have no such service. If it is possible to send somewhere else it will be interesting.

Also, what was replaced for the repair - new short block or just a rebuild? I'd send out a sample after a short interval to see what you're working with, as a base line

Also, what was replaced for the repair - new short block or just a rebuild? I'd send out a sample after a short interval to see what you're working with, as a base line

No, the block is the same, just rod bearings, crankshaft and cranks.

Maybe you could suggest where to send the used oil for analysis? Is it possible to send from abroad?

Rotella T6 5w-40 or Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel & Truck would probably be absolutely perfect for those conditions.

OEM oil filters!

Edit: Because of your location I'm not sure if these oils would be called the same thing as they are in the US? No matter, a good 5w-40 or 0w-40 synthetic HDEO would probably be your best bet.

Last edited:
It's hard for us to say what's available in Lithuania, but I'd use a 0/5W-30 such as Mobil 1, Castrol Edge, or Lubro Moly in winter, and maybe a 5W-40 Shell Helix in summer...

Last edited:
If you can get it, GC 0w30 would do really well and could be run year around and would hold up even on your track days I suspect. So would M1 0w40. Both fine choices for sure.

Having said that, Scoobie owners no doubt love two oils: Motul and Rotella T Syn. Both are extremely stout, one is expensive the latter is relatively cheap (at least here in the states).

You can't go wrong with any of these. Nor the ones mentioned earlier in the thread.

Last edited:
I just checked the interwebs, which says you don't get much over 25C, right? How many miles do you drive/year?

I know our friends to the north (Canada) have much harsher winters - closer to what you experience than me here in New England, maybe? - and they don't seem to have any problems with running 5W oils through out the winter. I think just because I'm anal I'd run a 0W-40 oil, but I don't think it's necessary.

At 7500km intervals, as long as the motor was rebuilt properly, I'd run a good group III synthetic like Rotella (or your equivalent) or something better if you like to treat your baby to the good stuff.

If you want to extend your drains or see how your engine is running with the rebuild, then run the Edge another time or two at your interval and send out a sample. I'm not sure who you have available, but if you work something out (that may cost money) you can probably send a sample to another country. If you're REALLY interested/concerned, then contact Terry Dyson from Dyson Analysis, and see what he thinks.

Good luck, Subie brother :)

Thank you guys for suggestions.

Is the Shell Rotella® T6 Full Synthetic 5W-40 is not for diesel engines? Is it good to use it on petrol engines?

Had no problem to run 5w last winter.

1. If you have to choose from 0w-40 and 5w-30 Castrol Edge? The 0w-40 would be safer for high rpms?
2. What is the difference between 0w-40 and 5w-40? If it is said that oil can't be too thin when the engine is cold, does it mean that 0w-40 is better in all cases than 5w-40?
3. Do you run Valvoline in USA? Is it popular?

The Rotella T6 isn't specifically for diesel engines - it's more for "heavy duty" applications - I.E. a turbocharged car that is going to see high RPMs, a engine that sees high loads, etc. It does *very* well in gasoline engines as well.

1.) If it were me I would probably use the 0w-40. These cars will "shear" a 5w-30 down to a 5w-20.
2.) The difference between 0w-40 and 5w-40 is that the 0w-40 will flow better on a cold start, but not all 0w-40 oils are better than all 5w-40 oils. Rotella T6 most certainly has a stronger additive package than 0w-40 edge, and unless you truly need the 0W rating 5W will be more than good enough for cold starts.
3.) I've run Valvoline Synpower in my car once and a friends car several times. Synpower seems to be a fairly good oil as well.

If you had no problems running 5W last winter, I would go with the Shell Rotella T6 if you can buy it in Lithuania. You may have other oils such as Shell Helix Ultra in various weights - those are good oils as well. Shell Helix Ultra comes in a 0w-40 and a 5w-40, as well as a Diesel-rated 5w-40. Any of those should suit your application well.

T6 is formulated primarily for Diesel engines but, some use it for gas engines. IF it meets the classification your engine specifies for gas then go for it. I would op for a 5w30 oil myself for your driving. JMO. Ed

You're lucky! Europe gets the good Castrol Edge. Even though Edge 5W30 meets ACEA A3, I would probably go with a 0W-40 or 5W-40. Maybe 0w in winter and 5w in summer? The 0w should be helpful since you have short daily trips.

A diesel 5W-40 should be a bit more robust. As mentioned, a lot of Subie guys here run them.

-Dennis

Originally Posted By: bodeh6
Lots of Subaru Turbo users like German Castrol.

And for the OP, the closest oil would be Edge 0W-30 which is just a tad thicker at 100C than the Edge 5W-30 he used.

-Dennis

I have not find to buy Shell Rotella T6 5w-40 yet. Probably i should stick with Edge.

Castrol Edge 5w-30
Castrol Edge 0w-30
Castrol Edge Sport 0w-40

Which one for summer ?

If you're going to hit the track, I would probably go with Edge Turbo Diesel 5W-40 if you can get that.

Like our Rotella T6, ETD 5W-40 would probably have higher Anti Wear additives and be more shear stable in harsh conditions, while the 0W-40 would probably give better fuel economy and warm up more quickly.

I don't believe that we have seen results of either oil here, just going by the results of similar oils.
19.gif

-Dennis

Amsoil has a service bulletin on these engines from Subaru. The mileage has been cut in half due to plugging of the oil screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back