Suburban fuel injection questions

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
A friend owns a few businesses and has decided that a Suburban (or the GMC clone) would be helpful to his business plans going forward. He wants and prefers a used vehicle. No towing or anything heavy like that, he just wants it for moving equipment and some odds-and-ands between his three business locations. Reliability is primary.

With that in mind, he/we feel that a fuel-injected model would be a good way to go. I understand that there was first a throttle body system and then port injection. When did TBI come into use and when was port injection implemented? Are both reliable, is one more so than the other? Since TBI is older, are parts and service readily available?

TBI was what, 1987? MPFI was around '96 with the Vortec series. I think depending on the engine used, there can be overlap: the 7.4L may have kept TBI after the 305/350 (aka 5.0 and 5.7L) went Vortec. Regardless, these are older motors and "anything" can have issues that will need repairing.

TBI was pretty robust, but down on power. Vortec brought much better heads but problematic spider injection system. Not sure which is "better" here, since, it comes down to expectations and requirements. Both were good in their day, and both are long in tooth now. In your neck of the woods, I'd expect reasonable parts availability for either. Might have more issues with the TBI, if it's pre-ODBII, as I'm not sure how many techs are used to working with the really old stuff. Want to say, replacement spider stuff is available, and possibly better than OEM now, but I'll leave that for the real mechanics to discuss.

Honestly I'd be more worried about the automatic transmission... and overall condition of the suspension. And the rest of the truck. GMT400 I believe is the platform, lots of love out there, which tends to raise the price. Not sure what their problem points are (door handles comes to mind for some reason). I think these avoid the dash cluster gauge problems (stepper motors?).

I presume he's going 1500 series, the 1/2T model, for better ride.

2WD or 4WD required here?

Thanks for the quick response. I forgot about the implementation of OBDII. I've heard that wrt service pre-OBDII could be problematic. That info might narrow down the age range of the truck by a bit. Thanks for the heads-up on the trans, too.

Yeah, 1500 series would be ideal, no need for 4WD. A basic unit would be sufficient, in fact, preferred.

Last edited:
he just wants it for moving equipment and some odds-and-ands between his three business locations.
Why a Suburban? If wants something enclosed, wouldn't a van be a better choice? If not, a pickup?

When did TBI come into use and when was port injection implemented? Are both reliable, is one more so than the other? Since TBI is older, are parts and service readily available?
You're talking something over 25 years old. Doubt he will find one which isn't all rusted out or run into the ground. The diesels are the ones to get, 1992-93 with mechanical fuel injection, but prices are pretty high when you do find them.

TBI was used between 88-95 in US on light duty trucks 1500-3500, they were all OBD1 ECMs. Everything 96+ is OBD2 for light duty trucks 1500-3500, 96-03 used the Vortec engines with MPFI on the 4.3/5.0/5.7/7.4 engines. 99 was the first year of the LS based engines for the V8s in the Silverado/Sierra, eventually all the small block engines were changed to LS based engines by the end of 03 in all trucks and vans. The 4.3 V6 remained based on the old small block until 2014 when they finally decided to replace it with the Gen V design. The big block 7.4 was replaced by the 8.1 in 01.

Why a Suburban? If wants something enclosed, wouldn't a van be a better choice? If not, a pickup?

This.

A van is a much better choice. A minivan has more space than a Suburban on the inside despite being smaller on the outside. The full-size vans are the same size on the outside but with much more space inside.

The Nissan NV1500 seems like the best full-size van choice.

For a minivan, the 4-cylinder Sienna from 2011-2012 is the best one to get. Other good choices are the NV200 and Transit Connect.

You're talking something over 25 years old. Doubt he will find one which isn't all rusted out or run into the ground. The diesels are the ones to get, 1992-93 with mechanical fuel injection, but prices are pretty high when you do find them.

OP is in California. People on here from over there like to brag about how they don't have to deal with rust :D

I'd go with the gmt800 version from 2000-2006. Prior models 96-99 did have issues with that spider injection as well as intake gasket leaks, leaking coolant into the oil. The ls engine has no coolant in the intake. Also less maintenance because it doesn't have a distributor.

Yes the late 90s Vortec 4.3/5.0/5.7 had issues with intake gaskets and fuel injection spiders but I suspect most of them have been changed by now.
I'd agree with that. I do have a soft spot for the interior on the gmt400 but I prefer the newer ls engines based on my experience with them. They just have less maintenance and less stuff to leave you walking, plus they're really easy to work on.
The vortec 350 likely has had the original issues worked out by now but you still need to remember to do cap and rotor from time to time because if you neglect that you're asking for a breakdown. Also every one of these potentially drank some coolant at some point in the past, which could reduce potential engine lifespan vs one that never leaked internally.

Man if he’s going back that far in years, this looks like a glamour choice (I want a truck and the business justifies it) but I wouldn’t want for my business to rely on an antique suburban. They need regular work and care at these ages. Lift height, operating cost, internal cargo room, reliability? Newer van.

I'd agree with that. I do have a soft spot for the interior on the gmt400 but I prefer the newer ls engines based on my experience with them. They just have less maintenance and less stuff to leave you walking, plus they're really easy to work on.
The vortec 350 likely has had the original issues worked out by now but you still need to remember to do cap and rotor from time to time because if you neglect that you're asking for a breakdown. Also every one of these potentially drank some coolant at some point in the past, which could reduce potential engine lifespan vs one that never leaked internally.
Valid point on the coolant perhaps having got into the oil and being run like that for who knows how long. That said, any vehicle 20+ years will eventually need work. If it runs and sounds good, you take what you can get with these older trucks IMO.

I will say I do have a bias toward and a soft spot for GMT400s as that was my first vehicle, so to me they will always be something special, even though having owned a GMT800 (01 Suburban) I do recognize there are MANY things better about a GMT800. And that's why when my coworker was selling his 97 Yukon I bought it even though it's kind of a "beater with a heater"... the drivetrain seems to be in good shape and the body is nice and it's got a lift on it which looks cool. But lots of little "typical GMT400" stuff (sloppy steering, AC inop, door hinge pin bushings shot, etc) that is just life with a high mileage old truck and what I consider a project :)

Man if he’s going back that far in years, this looks like a glamour choice (I want a truck and the business justifies it) but I wouldn’t want for my business to rely on an antique suburban. They need regular work and care at these ages. Lift height, operating cost, internal cargo room, reliability? Newer van.
My only thing would be pricing, you can get a decent condition GMT400 or GMT800 Burb/YXL for WAY cheaper than an Express/Savana/E-Series.

Valid point on the coolant perhaps having got into the oil and being run like that for who knows how long. That said, any vehicle 20+ years will eventually need work. If it runs and sounds good, you take what you can get with these older trucks IMO.

I will say I do have a bias toward and a soft spot for GMT400s as that was my first vehicle, so to me they will always be something special, even though having owned a GMT800 (01 Suburban) I do recognize there are MANY things better about a GMT800. And that's why when my coworker was selling his 97 Yukon I bought it even though it's kind of a "beater with a heater"... the drivetrain seems to be in good shape and the body is nice and it's got a lift on it which looks cool. But lots of little "typical GMT400" stuff (sloppy steering, AC inop, door hinge pin bushings shot, etc) that is just life with a high mileage old truck and what I consider a project :)
I always liked the 95, because it had the nicer interior but still had the reliable TBI engine. Nowadays I'd probably lean towards the vortec for the extra power and obd2.
I still see a few really nice gmt400 trucks driving around here and we're in the salt belt. There's something extra clean looking to me about a 95-98 extended cab k1500 4x4. I wish I owned one of each to be honest.
BTW TFL truck bought one of those (a 97 I think) in their no payment needed series, where they bought a ford, dodge and Chevy truck to compete against each other. The truck ended up being in really good shape and they had no real issues with it throughout the time they owned it.

I always liked the 95, because it had the nicer interior but still had the reliable TBI engine. Nowadays I'd probably lean towards the vortec for the extra power and obd2.
I still see a few really nice gmt400 trucks driving around here and we're in the salt belt. There's something extra clean looking to me about a 95-98 extended cab k1500 4x4. I wish I owned one of each to be honest.
BTW TFL truck bought one of those (a 97 I think) in their no payment needed series, where they bought a ford, dodge and Chevy truck to compete against each other. The truck ended up being in really good shape and they had no real issues with it throughout the time they owned it.
That was exactly my first vehicle, a 98 K1500 ext cab "Silverado".

I agree on 95s being ideal, new interior with TBI... had one and that's one I definitely regret selling. Sold it to a friend/ex-bf, 95 K1500, RCLB, 5.7. What a great truck. Also up there in miles but it's super clean inside and out. I don't mind it being OBD1, I had a good OBD1-compatible Bosch scanner with OBD1 live-data. Gave it to him with the truck. Enough data there to figure out what's wrong if needbe.

Back