Suburban 2500

Status
Not open for further replies.
The wheelbase helps with towing stability. Tahoe is a fair bit worse than Suburban. Even a 3/4 Suburban isn't that great compared to a 3/4 ton truck. I was shopping for either and found a deal on a truck, glad i did. The 6.0 is great at everything except conserving fuel.

Tahoe’s have a 5.3L, which is pretty gutless and has to spin at high RPMs to get anywhere.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Tahoe’s have a 5.3L, which is pretty gutless and has to spin at high RPMs to get anywhere.

\
This is the same motor that is in million of vehicles....right? The 5.3 is not a gutless motor. It is a great motor for moving a heavy vehicle around plus it to tows the weekend travel trailer nicely.

You can qualify your statement.
I'm waiting.

I own a truck with a 5.3 in it...so I know hat I'm talking about.

Last edited:

They are higher output than Ford's 5.4L and Dodge's 5.2L V8s. They get excellent fuel economy for its time. They make a lot of torque but Tahoe's are heavy. The LS series is designed to rev out and make more power higher up. The 6.0 needs to rev too for peak power.

The only truck engine of the era that beats the 5.3 in output is the larger, newer, thirstier, Nissan Titan VK56DE.

I'm sure the newer ones have more power now.

I drove a 2005 Tahoe to Pinetop, AZ (lots of hills too) a couple weeks ago and it got about 16 mpg.

edit: Just looked it up. The 05 has 295 HP while a 17 model has 355 HP. So a 20% increase in power.

Not until 2014 Silverado 2015 Tahoe did the 5.3 go up significantly in output. Now having the 6 speed trans helped them out a lot in drive ability, and that was about 2010 or so.

Not only is it a great power plant stock but you have endless options to upgrade and tune it. Unrivaled aftermarket support. I'm a bit biased to LS based engines but i am not the only one.

The point being with millions of these motors (5.3) on the road-many in half-ton trucks they are proven and accepted.

On truck forums-they are known for reliability, and a great all purpose motor (inc. towing an proper sized/ weight trailer).

Personally-I have towed with the 5.3 well over 30,000 miles, and that included a trip from Utah to the East Coast and back.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN

\
This is the same motor that is in million of vehicles....right? The 5.3 is not a gutless motor. It is a great motor for moving a heavy vehicle around plus it to tows the weekend travel trailer nicely.

I'm waiting.

You own a newer one with a 6 speed auto, the OP’er is looking for an old one, with a 4 speed auto. Totally different animals. My grandfather had an 03’ Silverado with a 5.3L and another family member has an 05’ Tahoe with a 5.3L. I was speechless with how those vehicles can’t hardly move. With the Tahoe in the mountains the gear spacing is so far apart, it’s unbelievable. Slowing down in the hills means slowly giving it more and more throttle and then all of a sudden it shoots down to 2nd gear and it’s screaming, 4,000+ RPMs and then it moves and speeds up. Hunting and hunting because it can’t keep its speed in 3rd gear because not enough RPMs. A newer 6 speed would help tremendously.

Same situation with this. My grandmother has a 2011 CRV that is totally gutless in the hills too, it’s great around town but going up a hill, it has a 5 speed auto and it can’t get into its power-band, only 3,500-4,000 RPMs totally floored in the mountains, if it had a 6 speed or a CVT, it would be able to get the RPMs to where it can make some power and do much better.

My grandparents also have an 02’ Trailblazer with the 4.2L 6 cylinder, actually the same 4 speed auto as the Tahoe, I’ve driven it thousands and thousands of miles, it could run circles around the Tahoe, has MUCH more power.

\

I'm waiting.

You own a newer one with a 6 speed auto, the OP’er is looking for an old one, with a 4 speed auto. Totally different animals. My grandfather had an 03’ Silverado with a 5.3L and another family member has an 05’ Tahoe with a 5.3L. I was speechless with how those vehicles can’t hardly move. With the Tahoe in the mountains the gear spacing is so far apart, it’s unbelievable. Slowing down in the hills means slowly giving it more and more throttle and then all of a sudden it shoots down to 2nd gear and it’s screaming, 4,000+ RPMs and then it moves and speeds up. Hunting and hunting because it can’t keep its speed in 3rd gear because not enough RPMs. A newer 6 speed would help tremendously.

Same situation with this. My grandmother has a 2011 CRV that is totally gutless in the hills too, it’s great around town but going up a hill, it has a 5 speed auto and it can’t get into its power-band, only 3,500-4,000 RPMs totally floored in the mountains, if it had a 6 speed or a CVT, it would be able to get the RPMs to where it can make some power and do much better.

My grandparents also have an 02’ Trailblazer with the 4.2L 6 cylinder, actually the same 4 speed auto as the Tahoe, I’ve driven it thousands and thousands of miles, it could run circles around the Tahoe, has MUCH more power.

On the truck forums-not enough power-even from those that own older trucks just doesn't seem to be a complaint. They STILL HAVE SOLD several hundred thousand before the 6 speed transmission was introduced. So-maybe your expectations for a half-ton pickup truck or Subrban are different than most people.

I had a 1999 Suburban-bought brand new. And while the general build quality was absolute junk-especially for a $29,000 vehicle back then -I never felt for a family hauler it lacked power.

I guess our experiences differ. However-I have owned the vehicles in question-now your back peddling. You said the 5.3 can't get out of it's own way-now you inferring if it's matched to a six speed things are different.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jhellwig
Lots of advancement with the bcm and ecm. Better electrical. Fly by wire came back.

Another thing to avoid would be any vin beginning with a number other than 1. The overall quality of the us assembled ones is way better than the Mexican ones.

The "Drive by Cable" throttle is actually far more reliable. Throttle actuation issues are probably the worst-most wide spread problem with '03-'07 GMT800's.

'00-'02 SUV's with traction control had "Fly by Wire" throttle, The Throttle Actuator Control module die unexpectedly.

'00-'02 instrument clusters are far more reliable than '03-'06 clusters.

'00-'02 have a cabin air filter, '03-'06 do not.

'00-'02 has an accessory key position & Retained Accessory Power(RAP), '03-'06 just have RAP....I don't like that.

Most anyone would not know the difference between the 2 PCM's, You have to modify the engine very heavily before processing speed would be a limitation.

Some of the BCM/DIC/steering wheel control features are pretty nice on the '03-'06.....Even then it's Trim Level dependent on what features you have access to.

Most U.S. market GMT800 SUV's are built at Arlington Assembly in Texas, I have seen very few Mexican built ones.

I have owned a lot of GMT800's over the years, I don't really have a preference on the year model.....Buy the nicest-well maintained one for the money......Don't overlook a nice 2001 to buy a beat to death 2005!!

\

I'm waiting.

On the truck forums-not enough power-even from those that own older trucks just doesn't seem to be a complaint. They STILL HAVE SOLD several hundred thousand before the 6 speed transmission was introduced. So-maybe your expectations for a half-ton pickup truck or Subrban are different than most people.

I had a 1999 Suburban-bought brand new. And while the general build quality was absolute junk-especially for a $29,000 vehicle back then -I never felt for a family hauler it lacked power.

I guess our experiences differ. However-I have owned the vehicles in question-now your back peddling. You said the 5.3 can't get out of it's own way-now you inferring if it's matched to a six speed things are different.
I was talking to the OP'er, who was considering an old one, and nowhere near one that could have a 6 speed auto.

What I have to refer it to was my 96' C1500 Silverado 5.7L. It really moved! Instant throttle response and all the power you wanted down low.

What I have to refer it to was my 96' C1500 Silverado 5.7L. It really moved! Instant throttle response and all the power you wanted down low.

The 5.3L really comes alive with a custom tune....At the expence of the 4L60E as you have to tune out the torque management to realize the full potential of this mill.
I swapped a 2004 5.3L/4L60E/3.73:1 combination into a 1985 C20 Suburban and drove it for 10 years with a custom tune, good intake & a free flowing dual exhaust....It was quick for what it was & sure didn't have any problems out running a 5.7L Vortec 1500 truck.

Stock tuned 5.3L's do feel doggy, 3.42:1 gearing just adds to it. Get a tune & buy a truck/suv with at least 3.73:1 gears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back