Substitute for Honda ATF-Z1 fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is an adequate substitute ( non Synthetic) to replace the Honda fluid in my 2000 Honda Odyssey?

For the price of Castrol Import ATF.....I would rather just buy Honda Z1 ATF.

I bought 2 cases online for less than $4 per quart.

It's not necessarily the driver, conditions, etc that put the demands on an Ody transmission. As for if a synthetic oil will help the various weak links of the Honda AT's, that remains to be seen, but so far so good for many folks.

You don't have to put demands on the transmissions to stress the fluid. The transmission will do it all by itself.

Since you do NOT know what the factory fill is, blindly wanting a 'non-synthetic' isn't logical.

PZL, QS, Cast, Ams, Mxlf,.....are good choices. Any universal or multivehicle ATF, that mentions the zpec, from any of your local departments or autopart stores, should be looked into.

I'd use a full synth since certain Hondas don't have a long lasting tranny reputation.
And regardless of the ATF used, a relatively frequent ATF change schedule(drain/refills), aftermarket filtration, and extra cooling, should be considered.

You are right. I do not know if Honda's fluid is synthetic. Then the question is, how many OEM really use synthetic trans fluid? I would say less than more so I think logic would prevail here. Some of the listed fluids say "suitable". Suitable sounds like what my Honda manual says about Dexron III use. Marginally O'kay. I would like a substitute with certainity otherwise I will stick with the Z1. Thanks

The Honda fluid is not synthetic because it is also used in their CVT transmissions that can not use synthetic. This makes the Honda Z1 a comproise fluid since it's used in two totally different types of transmissions.

I have been using Maxlife in my 99 Odyssey for about 3 years now, and it shifts very smooth with no problems. I change out 3 quarts every year and also added a cooler. I believe the Maxlife shifts better than the Z1.

This was helpful. Thanks

Now I don't have to go to the dealer 20 miles away to get my Accord ATF.
I know this is a bit off topic but..........
What is the deal with Honda power steering fluid? Can I use thier ATF and alternatives?

Why doesn't Honda use a filter on their ATF's? Atleast my 96 Accord doesn't have one.

Honda PSF is a unique animal as well. Way back when I was into the auto parts game, we always carried a special formulation product for Honda. I guess they enjoyed winning over our hearts with their cars, then our pocket books with the special, unique fluids with which to run them.

Whitewolf has stated just as I did, you cannot interchange CVT transmission fluid with any other fluid. The CVT fluid is very heavily metallic additive fortified, whereas the Z-1 is what's known as a "soft" fluid. Can it be replaced with something else, sure. I have regulation Kendall ATF with the Lubeguard FM additive for Honda tossed in in the tranny right now, and shifting is great, no noise, no grinding, and I've put on 2500 miles, so I think that it'll do just fine.

Honda has been VERY helpful when the AT's fail out of warranty. A lot of members have gotten free replacements or just had to pay labor costs and Honda would pay for the transmission. With that in mind, I wouldn't even think about chaning the ATF from their Z1 stuff.

Why would you not change to a different fluid Schmoe? Even if it is one that is proven to be better in all ways?
Did they pull a sample for analysis? Were you left waiting for the UOA to come back so they could approve the AT replacement?

My 2000 Civic EX 1.6 AT has been using ( the no longer available) SF Z1 fluid for 26,000 miles and the trans was already a goner before we installed it, GOOD JOB MOLAKULE!!!

I am now testing RLI BIOSYN ATF as I suspect the new more oxidatively stable veg HOBS oils are super helpful in providing stability, solvency, and HTHS capability to the Honda trans.

Shifts and runs well so far and the trans is far from being perfect mechanically.

Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back