Substantive differences between brake rotors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by Garak
I did go with Raybestos EHT pads and their painted rotors, and I am very happy with them.

Which rotors from Raybestos, coated or painted ? I may have missed them but I haven't seen "painted" rotors (at least at RockAuto). I put their coated rotors on both the front and rear of my wife's Fusion and they look great (6 months ago for the fronts, rears only a month ago).

My concern with painted rotors is the substantial amount of 'unswept' area between the painted section and what the pads actually cover. The fronts aren't as bad as the rears.
You're last point is the main reason (and to experiment) I went with the Raybestos RPT coated rotors over say the Wagner E Coated (painted) on Accord fronts this time. While I don't have many miles on them yet I too am very happy with my choice. If they continue to perform as expected they will certainly be a first option for the rear if or when needed. I do tend to agree with another member who said the ACDelco and Napa coated are identical, they cost more though.

All that said, rust not much of an issue here. I have the least expensive AAP Wearever Rotors with Raybestos TQ pads on the fronts of a 01 Tacoma for years now, and they've been fine. Naturally there's some very light surface rust, but nothing that stands outs while looking at the wheels and certainly nothing that affects function. And here Discount Tire takes a pneumatic wire cup brush to the rotor centers as SOP with each visit for balance and rotation. Cleaning up any surface rust on mounting area. And the Wearever rotors installed exactly as the recent RPT's, put on and go. Lot's of miles now and zero issues.

Originally Posted by Pelican
Generally OEM are the best combo of price/performance. You may find better rotors at a price if you need them and cheaper ones if you want to economize.

For general use I find OEM to be the best value for me.

I have found this to be the case.

Even the high end aftermarket stuff seems to warp more rapidly than newly purchased OEM rotors.

There is another rotor manufacturer that is not made in China. Fremax made in Brazil rotors.

I do know at least some Wagner premium rotors are Fremax. I read that Beck/Arnley sells some too.

Installed a front set last week, and all is good. Supposedly they have a coating that does not have to be cleaned off before installation. I cleaned them anyway.

https://www.fremax.com.br/en/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back