Subi recall...

Status
Not open for further replies.
They need to recall that horrid EJ257 and FA20 too.

Ouch... Looks like a projected $450 mil. And that's a tiny fraction of production. Was it just a certain run of valve springs from a certain supplier, or are they doing the balance sheet-saving, small groups at a time garbage?

Originally Posted by KalapanaBlack
Ouch... Looks like a projected $450 mil. And that's a tiny fraction of production. Was it just a certain run of valve springs from a certain supplier, or are they doing the balance sheet-saving, small groups at a time garbage?

These days Subaru and Toyota should know which cars got the engines with bad springs. Everything is scanned before assembly. This recall is big so the defect was not caught in the beginning.

Let's be honest... OHC motors as a rule generally run a MUCH lighter spring, and therefore do not see the stresses that pushrod engine springs are subjected to. This leads to much thinner wire and it was likely not heat treated or peened correctly. Is it a problem? Yeah, but if it hasn't failed after 6-7 years, is it super likely? Probably not.

Likely wouldn't have been a recall if they still made freewheeling engines like the 3.0 & 3.2L Yamaha engines in the early 90s SHOs
smile.gif

It will be painful, but this is not the end of the world.

In the US it only seems to effect Impreza owners. I don't think they ever had any Foresters with a 2.0 unless this includes the turbo motor(doubtful).

No one buys the BRZ, FR-S in the US, great idea just a Mazda like attempt at a sports car, incredible handler and gutless motor.

Valve spring supplier will have to eat the costs. Likely due to improper heat treatment of the springs, or improper metallurgy in materials. Could have been discovered in a regular audit, or reaction to spike in warranty claims.

In the TS16949 and IATF 16949 world of Automotive, the chain of records will show someone signed off on something they shouldn't have, or assumed something. Humans do this.

And it's odd, because I've never heard of it happening. Maybe it is mostly a problem with cars in Japan.

Originally Posted by wemay
400,000 between Subaru and Toyota doesn't seem that big to me.

12 hrs labor per vehicle. ouch.

Originally Posted by sasilverbullet
Wonder if they'll replace just the springs, the heads, or the whole engine?

I guess it depends upon how much labor they want done at the dealer.

With compressed air in the cylinder you can change the springs without pulling the head. That may be the most straight forward way. Still going to be without the car for a day or two. Not a repair you are going to wait for.

Engines have been using valve springs forever. One would think that would not be a part they would have a problem with.

Originally Posted by Donald

...compressed air in the cylinder you can change the springs without pulling the head. That may be the most straight forward way.

Horizontally opposed flat four. Two heads, ea. of which is buried in the engine compartment. DOHC if i'm not mistaken. Likely cam chains. Engine out i wd guess. Ugh ...¢.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by KGMtech
...Likely due to improper heat treatment of the springs, or improper metallurgy in materials. Could have been discovered in a regular audit, or reaction to spike in warranty claims...

Quality control in Japan is in a decline:

A Japanese maker of materials used in airplanes and car parts has admitted that one of its subsidiaries falsified quality-assurance data, the latest in a string of Japanese industrial giants to mislead customers.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...er-companies-faking-product-quality-data

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back