Subaru

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds great.

1. Regular Mobil1, Mobil SuperSyn, Mobil1 Extended Performance, Mobil1 HighMileage... are all great choices, as is ANY full synthetic boutique fluid or synth API SN/GF5. With a turbo, I'd probably go thicker to ANY 0w40 or 5w40.
2. MaxATF is a great choice. Amsoil ATF, Amalie Synthetic, and Redline D4 are others.
3. Any full synthetic 75w90 like Mobil1, RoyalPurple, Amsoil, Redline, Castrol, Valvoline.... will be great.

If you have the screw on ATF filter, change it.
If there is a PSF reservoir that takes ATF, use the #2 selected there too.

Step up to 5w40 and stay away from Mobil 1. It's junk and our boxer engines eat it, especially turbo boxers.

Go for Rotella 5w40, it's cheap and good.

As far as rear differential goes... Any 75w-90 will be sufficient and I mean any...

Originally Posted By: Shar
Step up to 5w40 and stay away from Mobil 1. It's junk and our boxer engines eat it, especially turbo boxers.

Go for Rotella 5w40, it's cheap and good.

As far as rear differential goes... Any 75w-90 will be sufficient and I mean any...

Darn. Now I need to go tell my truck it has junk in the pan.

Yes, Go on over to nasioc . c o m and do a search for oil recommendations.

You guys are spot on with the T6 5w40. I went over to nasioc dot com thanks to bk111; which is a subaru forum. And the consensus is the German Castrol 0w-30 and the T6 5w40 are the way to go. The only slight negative is perhaps the T6 5w40 might harm the cat. But that was questionable issue on that matter.

I appreciate the help...

If I go the T6 5w40 for my
Subaru can i also use this in my wifes 2002 Toyota Rav4 4cyl. It has a 123k a daily driver about 1 1/2 hours total every day in So Calif weather.... Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Looks like you have a good plan. As for diffs, full syn 75w90. I have Motul Gear 300 in mine.

Originally Posted By: BraveHeart
My Subaru is an 06 Baja. Its a 2.5l 4cyl boxer engine dual overhead cam with Turbo. Automatic and AWD. 74k miles

How does this look ? Any suggestions..

1)Mobil 1 will change every 5k
Extended Performance
5W-30
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_Extended_Performance_5W-30.aspx

2) Tranny
Royal Purple MAX ATF ATF-HP

3) Any suggestions on the front and rear diff ?
OEM says 75w50

75w-90 GL5 in the front and rear diffs

75w-90 GL4 / GL5 in the gearbox if its a manual

Dexron III in the gearbox if it's an auto

All the answers are great answers but in my personal experience the european syhthetic oils are much better.

For the Engine Oil I recomend "Total 5W30 ineo mc3": can be found here... {removed non-site sponsor link}

For the transmission which requires DEX III I recommend Motul Synthetic Dexron III

And for the differential which requires GL-5 (SAE: 75W-90) or equivalent I recommend Red Line

Some might argue that euro fluids are expensive but I think that searching the internet might surprise them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: BraveHeart
My Subaru is an 06 Baja. Its a 2.5l 4cyl boxer engine dual overhead cam with Turbo. Automatic and AWD. 74k miles

How does this look ? Any suggestions..

1)Mobil 1 will change every 5k
Extended Performance
5W-30
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_Extended_Performance_5W-30.aspx

2) Tranny
Royal Purple MAX ATF ATF-HP

3) Any suggestions on the front and rear diff ?
OEM says 75w50

We use Mobil in our workshop but don't think you can get these oils in the US, would be good if you could as they are good (such a poet)

Mobil Super 3000 Formula FE in the engine, in the US i would go for the Mobil 1 5w-30 or the Mobil 1 Truck and Suv 5w-30 as it seems to be higher ACEA spec than the standard Mobil 1

Mobilube 1 SHC 75w-90 in the diffs, in the US for that application i would go for Mobil 1 Synthetic Gearlube LS 75w-90

Mobil ATF 320 in the Auto box, although if i could get it i would use Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF

Last edited:
Oil:
Mobil 1 EP is a fantastic oil, and will be more than adequate for your planned 5k OCI's. I wouldn't run regular Mobil 1 in my rubo Subie, but, admittedly, only because others' scare tactics have worked on me, not because I have any real evidence to support. $30 sales (IIRC) on 5 quarts of any Mobil oil and a M1 filter at local auto parts stores can't be beat, IMO. I have personally used T6 with great results, and only ever use an OEM filter.

ATF: the 4EATs used to be pretty picky about ATF, so I'd stick with the Subaru ATF-HP. I don't think they've changed much with the 4EAT since my 97 Legacy GT.

Diff: Motul Gear 300 is what I used, but will probably be overkill unless you haul a lot of gear, off-road or generally abuse your Baja. Otherwise, stick with Mobil 1 or Valvoline gear oil; you won't notice the diff (pun intended!)

Subaru turbos beat up oil. I'd go with GC, M1 0w40 or T6 5w40.

ATF: 2006 was a transitional year for Subaru ATF. Do NOT use a fluid that meets Dex III if your car came with the newer Subaru HP ATF. According to Subaru there are no aftermarket ATFs that meet this fluid, although Royal Purple, Amsoil, and Maxlife say they do. Again, make sure it is for Subaru HP fluid, not Subaru fluid.

Gear oil: anything but Mobil1. Great in a lot of vehicles, but it does not seem to be an ideal match for some of the Subaru diffs.

Originally Posted By: HollowEyes
Subaru turbos beat up oil. I'd go with GC, M1 0w40 or T6 5w40.

ATF: 2006 was a transitional year for Subaru ATF. Do NOT use a fluid that meets Dex III if your car came with the newer Subaru HP ATF. According to Subaru there are no aftermarket ATFs that meet this fluid, although Royal Purple, Amsoil, and Maxlife say they do. Again, make sure it is for Subaru HP fluid, not Subaru fluid.

Gear oil: anything but Mobil1. Great in a lot of vehicles, but it does not seem to be an ideal match for some of the Subaru diffs.

Shell definitely list Donax TX for the Baja auto box 2006 onwards, Donax TX is dexron III.

Spirax ASX 75w-90 GL5 for the diffs

What seems to be the problem with Mobil oil in the diffs?

As I said, 2006 was a transition year for the HP ATF. You can run HP in a Dex III vehicle, but should not run Dex III in a HP vehicle.

And I may have been mistaken, I think Mobil1 has only caused issues in the Manual vehicles, that share fluid between the transmission and front differential, unlike the separate systems of the automatics. Something about the sulfur levels damaging the metal of the syncros.

It has nothing to do with the sulfur damaging the synchros. But, LSD additives in Mobil-1, and other LSD type gear oils, don't make the shifting all that great. LSD additive could reduce synchro traction. This causes the shift to takes longer and/or grinds/clunks when you impatiently force it. A non-LSD GL5, like from Subaru, is a good choice for a manual transmission. Ford, as well as many others, also has a GL5 for manual trans usage.

As a gear oil for front or rear diffs, the Mobil-1, along with any other full synthetic GL5 75w90, is a great choice.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
It has nothing to do with the sulfur damaging the synchros. But, LSD additives in Mobil-1, and other LSD type gear oils, don't make the shifting all that great. LSD additive could reduce synchro traction. This causes the shift to takes longer and/or grinds/clunks when you impatiently force it. A non-LSD GL5, like from Subaru, is a good choice for a manual transmission. Ford, as well as many others, also has a GL5 for manual trans usage.

As a gear oil for front or rear diffs, the Mobil-1, along with any other full synthetic GL5 75w90, is a great choice.

Yeah sounds like a miss application for the gearbox, it's very rare to see an API GL5 used in manual gearboxes, nearly always GL5 with GL4 approval as well. As you may know if the oil is too slippery then the synchromesh will not work properly in a manual box. We have a slightly different Mobil gear oil over here in England called Mobilube 1 SHC 75w-90 which is GL4 and GL5, mainly i think because most of our cars are manual transmission so they cater for our market.

Last edited:
Regarding transmission oil I would stay away from any GL-5 with the limited slip additive included. I have tried both in a 5sp Outback and only the GL-5 without LS additive shifted smooth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back