Subaru Rear Wheel Bearings: How difficult are they?

The hub buster should work okay on this one but another trick for the not too rusted ones is either loosen the bolts a few threads and hit them with an air hammer crosswise or remove the bolts and install some slightly longer ones to beat on, I always replace the bolts on these things as many times unless someone has done them before they need a rocket socket because they are undersized with rust where I am.
We used to do that with the longer bolts/hammer them on like 2500 Chevy trucks front hum assembly's. 😱

Just inspect the box as soon as it arrives. If the brain trusts throw it in a flimsy box with no padding it can eject itself relatively easily. Mine comes in at a couple ounces over 12.5 lbs. Since it's intended to survive a steady beating from a sledge it's a simple formula: more steel = mo bettaView attachment 181662
IMG_5843.jpeg

IMG_5842.jpeg

I ordered an 1/2" drive impact wrench and a 16 OZ Glass measuring cup from Amazon.
Both sent in the same big box, no padding, bouncing around in the box. Of course the measuring cup was in a million pieces. Called Amazon for a refund, She wanted me to send it back first! I said For what! I'm not going to lie to you for a $10.00 measuring cup!

Side note, passenger side rear bearing....when you go to torque the axle nut or the lug nuts, there is an audible click. It is very faint. Noise is not otherwise audible.

No such sound on the driver side rear.

Both bearings are SKF.

I fully disassembled the passenger rear for a second time and reassembled, no abnormalities found. Best guess is that there is some fitment issue with the SKF hub assembly and the cv axle on that side.

Back