Subaru Outback 2.5l H4 NA 6000miles Penn 10w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: odie
did the 10w-30 impact your gas mileage any different than a 5w-30 ?

I do not think so. The MPG was lower on this trip than a normal trip but I feel some of it could be all the gas that I bought with 10% ethanol in the mix which would lower MPG.

But I did go back to 5w-30. And next time I'll stick with 5w-30.

Bill

Looks great Bill. If Black Stone got those numbers right on calcium, zinc, etc. that is quite the add pack.

Looks like PYB's new offering is just another reason why most every rig on the road can go dino.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Boomer01
Looks great Bill. If Black Stone got those numbers right on calcium, zinc, etc. that is quite the add pack.

They didn't. Blackstone's numbers lately have been far higher than they should be.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Just the sealer. When I replaced the coolant I used a bottle of it with the Peak Global lifetime I used.

The issue of the coolant smell I think was the radiator cap. (there is a TSB on it)

Another thing to look at, from another Subaru owner:
the hose that goes to the coolant overflow bottle is a very loose fit on a few that I have seen, plenty of space for vapor to get past it. Does not seem like much, but it may be an area where some evaporation could occur.

Originally Posted By: HollowEyes
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Just the sealer. When I replaced the coolant I used a bottle of it with the Peak Global lifetime I used.

The issue of the coolant smell I think was the radiator cap. (there is a TSB on it)

Another thing to look at, from another Subaru owner:
the hose that goes to the coolant overflow bottle is a very loose fit on a few that I have seen, plenty of space for vapor to get past it. Does not seem like much, but it may be an area where some evaporation could occur.

Yeah I think you are right. I don't have a leak on in inside (thankfully) and it seems to be fine on the outside so evaporation is really the only thing left. I have to add 1/2 cup a few times a year to take the bottle up to the full mark.

Thanks, bill

Excellent report! I like 10w30 in the summer. That's what I would be running if I wasn't towing this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back