Subaru MT overfilled -- too much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed the manual transmission oil today in my 2011 WRX. The capacity listed in the service manual is 3.7 quarts. I put in about 3.25-3.3 (3 full quarts + about 1/4-1/3 left over from the differential), figuring I'd check the level and then top it up as needed. But when I checked, it looked like it was already overfilled:

The black mark is where the oil ends. The overage is about 3/8". The L and F marks are pretty close together, so I'm not sure how much oil the space between them represents. I would assume a quart but I would have a very hard time believing I was a whole quart over when I just put in 3.25. I let it drain until it was just barely dripping -- of course there's going to be some fluid that doesn't drain out but nearly 1.5 quarts seems really excessive (assuming the L to F space really is a whole quart).

I'm debating whether to try to shove a hose down the dipstick hole and pump some fluid out or just leave it. Any thoughts? Anyone else with experience with the Subaru 5MT who knows how bad this is?

The oil was above the F from the factory but I don't remember how much. I don't think it was quite this much.

Back to basics I guess(owners manual)
smile.gif

How is the fluid supposed to be checked?

*On level ground?
*Cold or after driving?
*Did you replace what you removed(qts)?
*Since I am not familier with Subaru's, is this filled from above(ATF style) or on the side of the tranny(similar to differentials)? As it would be impossibe to over fill??? IDK!

Just asking the questions as if this were my first Subie(not sarcasm)
smile.gif

The difference between low and full is probably a pint or less.
Get it warm about 10-12 miles then check it, draw some out to bring it to the full mark warm.
Not WRX specific but general and safe.

I tend to error on the conservative when it comes to overfilling engines or transmissions. I would follow the owners manual and if nothing there then do as Trav suggested. Warm it up and recheck and bring it to the full level. Ed

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Back to basics I guess(owners manual)
smile.gif

How is the fluid supposed to be checked?

*On level ground?
*Cold or after driving?
*Did you replace what you removed(qts)?
*Since I am not familier with Subaru's, is this filled from above(ATF style) or on the side of the tranny(similar to differentials)? As it would be impossibe to over fill??? IDK!

Just asking the questions as if this were my first Subie(not sarcasm)
smile.gif

Fluid is checked on level ground, cold IIRC. It's filled from above via the dipstick hole, ATF style. I did not measure what came out -- it just went into a big oil collection pan.

Originally Posted By: cjcride
Subaru might state liters.

The service manual states 3.5 liters, 3.7 US quarts. I was expecting something along the lines of 3.5 quarts to indicate full on the dipstick. The only thing that makes sense to me is the difference between L and F representing much less than a quart -- I just don't see how I could be much over. I think I will try to pump some out and see.

I pumped out about a half quart, and then dipstick read right on the L mark. So the space between the L and F is about 1/4 quart, and I was about 1/4 quart high. So now at least things make more sense.

Topped it up 1/4 quart and now it's sitting right on the F dot. Perfect.

I would've just done this yesterday if I'd known how smooth and mess-free pumping the fluid out would be. Lesson learned for next time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back